Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where to go camping for a week in Alberta ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=322128)

-JR- 05-23-2017 05:42 AM

Where to go camping for a week in Alberta ?

Thats a big question.
Hopefully not farther than 3 hrs from Edmonton,but were does one go for a week that will keep all 4 grandkids (around 8 years old) happy and their parents.
For me It would be a lake.But only a 1/4 of us fish .
Was thinking of leaving the boat at home this year and changing it up .

Mangosteen 05-23-2017 07:35 AM

Go to the Badlands to show them some dinasaurs then head to Waterton Park the rest of the week. A bit more travel time but for lakes and fishing you can do that anytime out of Edmonton.

Map Maker 05-23-2017 07:40 AM

Aspen Beach Provincial Park on gull lake. Huge playground on the beach, lots of sand and bike trails. Big fish in the lake as well.

RedLodge provincial park. Small campground but has a lazy river that runs thru it and the kids can tube down. Fish in the river but lots of great lakes nearby.

DiabeticKripple 05-23-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Map Maker (Post 3546044)
Aspen Beach Provincial Park on gull lake. Huge playground on the beach, lots of sand and bike trails. Big fish in the lake as well.

RedLodge provincial park. Small campground but has a lazy river that runs thru it and the kids can tube down. Fish in the river but lots of great lakes nearby.

I always went to Red lodge as a youngin, but I found anymore than a few days is boring there. I would do it as a weekend trip, not a full week.

Cnd82 05-23-2017 12:21 PM

Try Ol Macdonald's campground by Stettler. Nice lake and lots of kids stuff and they have good ice cream.

Map Maker 05-23-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3546058)
I always went to Red lodge as a youngin, but I found anymore than a few days is boring there. I would do it as a weekend trip, not a full week.

To each his own.
I have a camp in the area and i can live out there.
No shortage of lakes in the area, plus glennifer lake for watersports.

Campsite is where i kickback at the end of a long day, and red lodge is quiet.
But as an all- inclusive campground, red lodge is not it.

Red Bullets 05-23-2017 12:43 PM

With 4 kids for a week the kids will get testy no matter where you take them. Try taking your boat and go up the North Saskatchewan river right from Edmonton. Camp on islands. There is fishing, beautiful sandy shoals in places, swimming, exploring, bushcraft, fossils, etc.. the kids can have fun with. You could go and stash extra fuel upstream by Gennesee or Berrymore bridges.

Let the kids make their own shelters and camp crafts. Get them engaged in the experience. In a week they will be a clan.

wags 05-23-2017 12:48 PM

Another choice is Crimson Lake near Rocky Mountain House. Lots of activities close by, lots of fishing close by, nice clean campground.

Cheers

HalfBreed 05-23-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3546193)
With 4 kids for a week the kids will get testy no matter where you take them. Try taking your boat and go up the North Saskatchewan river right from Edmonton. Camp on islands. There is fishing, beautiful sandy shoals in places, swimming, exploring, bushcraft, fossils, etc.. the kids can have fun with. You could go and stash extra fuel upstream by Gennesee or Berrymore bridges.

Let the kids make their own shelters and camp crafts. Get them engaged in the experience. In a week they will be a clan.

Something like that would be pretty cool I should think, especially at 8. Sure miss those days, when the adults made all the decisions.

-JR- 05-23-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Map Maker (Post 3546044)

Aspen beach website looks good for the kids. How is the boat launch for big boats Can you keep any fish for a shore lunch ?

ETOWNCANUCK 05-23-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfBreed (Post 3546352)
Something like that would be pretty cool I should think, especially at 8. Sure miss those days, when the adults made all the decisions.

And paid for it,

looking at about $1000 for a week.

Map Maker 05-24-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 3546354)
Aspen beach website looks good for the kids. How is the boat launch for big boats Can you keep any fish for a shore lunch ?

Yep full size double boat launch but can get busy.
Perch pike and walleye in lake, tags neded for walleye.

Viking Caliber 05-24-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnd82 (Post 3546182)
Try Ol Macdonald's campground by Stettler. Nice lake and lots of kids stuff and they have good ice cream.

x2, since yah beat me to it.
was out there for the may long weekend, with my 14 yr old son.
they had fireworks and if yah go canada day wknd, they are going to do a big display of fire works.
if yah like country music they do a music festival as well.
Family and I go there once or twice a year. been going there for the last 10 yrs.

tundraltd 05-24-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 3546354)

Aspen beach is fantastic for the kids and the beaches and lake are excellent we spend a far bit of time there every summer.

-JR- 05-25-2017 08:11 PM

Aspen Beach is already full for this summer !
Tried to book for the first week in Aug .
Not !

straight 05-26-2017 06:43 AM

A few years ago I had a very memorable one week vacation on the Rock Lake near Hinton. Lots of canoeing and hiking and some fishing as well.

nevercatchmuch 05-26-2017 09:25 AM

try Summerland
http://www.centralalberta.worldweb.c...g/Campgrounds/

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 3547996)
Aspen Beach is already full for this summer !
Tried to book for the first week in Aug .
Not !