Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Southern AB tenting spots. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=363923)

Evanh 05-16-2019 07:37 AM

Southern AB tenting spots.

Hey everyone, I am on the hunt for a nice tenting spot for my 2 sons and I to go for our annual boys camping trip. Would like something sitting 2 hours of Medicine Hat. Would like something fishable and be able to hike. Came across reesor lake so far anyone been? What about writing on stone? My kids are 8 and 6 and love learning and adventure. This is something we do every year to get back to basics. Thought about elk water but figure it may be too populated. Thanks everyone

pikergolf 05-16-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evanh (Post 3976892)
Hey everyone, I am on the hunt for a nice tenting spot for my 2 sons and I to go for our annual boys camping trip. Would like something sitting 2 hours of Medicine Hat. Would like something fishable and be able to hike. Came across reesor lake so far anyone been? What about writing on stone? My kids are 8 and 6 and love learning and adventure. This is something we do every year to get back to basics. Thought about elk water but figure it may be too populated. Thanks everyone

Spruce Coulee is set up for only tent camping, beautiful little lake in the Cypress Hills. Ressor would suit you as well, but has more of a mix for campers. Check and see if they take reservations.

pinelakeperch 05-16-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

There's a nice little campground on the Red Deer river out of Steveville. Not sure about the hiking, but decent fishing and a little off the beaten track.

Tom Cat 05-16-2019 05:06 PM

I second spruce coulee, great quiet little spot with fishing and hiking right there, if you continue east past reesor there’s another nice little quiet spot that would offer great hiking but would have to travel a couple miles back to reesor to fish, reesor and elk water can be quite busy and crowded in the summer.

dalewig 05-16-2019 05:56 PM

Highly recommend Fort Walsh area on sask side, which is pretty close to Elkwater/Reesor Lake already mentioned. Beautiful area, and good trout fishing in Battle Creek which runs right beside some of the camp sites. Some good hiking around, also some interesting history in area, they have an interpretative centre to though haven't been there in long time. Great memories from fishing camping trips there as a kid!!

Talking moose 05-16-2019 06:01 PM

The forks!

Evanh 06-18-2019 02:58 PM

Where is the forks? And looks like between Battle Creek spruce coulee and reesor there isn’t much distance so may just check them all out before we decide on one. Thanks everyone

Robotfish 06-18-2019 04:20 PM

The forks is north of Grassy lake which is between Taber and Bow Island. Great spot.

sako1 06-18-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Writing on stone is fantastic.

6.5 shooter 06-18-2019 10:29 PM

Writing on stone is very nice but so is Elkwater...Not sure about the forks...been a long time since I was there. Elkwater has more fishing, Writing on stone lots of history.

Sandy Point on the HWY 41 is nice as well right on the river.
East of Jenner is a secondary Highway 886 running North and South goes to Buffalo primitive camping at its best by the bridge..

landowner 06-19-2019 02:48 AM

Don’t bother going to Waterton Lakes. Tenting area is all tore up and under construction. Actually most of the park is under construction, or shut down due to the fire.

Evanh 06-19-2019 07:00 AM

Awesome thanks again everyone for all the different ideas. We have a little park close to home called pine cree that is s great little spot, but we would like to move on and try some different areas and most importantly get some fishing in as well. Used to be great rainbow fishing at pine Cree when I was a kid, but then they took out the beaver dams years ago and they are few and far between now.