Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Federal Fish and Wildlife Officers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=104318)

joshcat 09-10-2011 04:41 PM

Federal Fish and Wildlife Officers

Had a couple of boys stop by on our goose hunt today which (by the way was awesome had over 2000 birds come in and by our spread). They waited until we were done shooting before checking in on us both very polite and started the conversation with a hand shake and hello. Asked how the hunt went even though we all knew they were watching us checked our birds licences and guns then some small talk and off they went. A. nice to see they are out keeping things legal. B. 2 outstanding representatives for F&W. 3. just down right pleasant to deal with and not disappointed no tickets to write. Hats off to ya and keep up the good work!!!

frenchwhitey 09-10-2011 04:44 PM

More often than not encounters like yours are the norm. Never had a problem myself with Fish and Wildlife. Congrats on a good hunt. Cheers. Whitey

KegRiver 09-10-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchwhitey (Post 1074649)
More often than not encounters like yours are the norm. Never had a problem myself with Fish and Wildlife. Congrats on a good hunt. Cheers. Whitey

Same here.

duffy4 09-10-2011 05:59 PM

Provincial Fish & Wildlife officers

huntmaster83 09-10-2011 06:03 PM

Good job on the pat on the back post! We too often only hear about the downside of encounters on here. Glad to hear that you had a good meeting with what sounds like two class acts.

mulecrazy 09-10-2011 06:38 PM

what is a federal F&W officer?

AlbertaAngler 09-10-2011 06:44 PM

Federal Wildlife Officers work for Environment Canada

environment canada

winger7mm 09-10-2011 07:23 PM

the fish cops

Me I have never had a negative encounter with the good ol fish cops, even the fishing with an expired license (dumb on my part forgot to get a new one for april) but the girl was nice about the situation. But There is this officer from my home town who was a great guy, knew my truck and would always stop me, let me know what hes seen for game in his day, always gave me a bunch of pep sticks and jerky to snack on. I have not met many officers in the field but this one in perticular was a great guy all around. When I was young I would attend all these classes and courses that the fish and wildlife would put on, even set up a whack load of duck boxes and the like with them, Im glad to know the ones I know, and am more then willing to meet more!!

Ice Fishing Maniac 09-11-2011 08:15 AM

DFO's - Department of Fisheries & Oceans....seen 4 officers up in the High Level area about 1 month ago checking into their hotel. All packing a pistol.

Since mitgritory Birds are a federal license, they had grounds to do a search. Nice to see them being polite....it makes it so much better and easier to talk.

outdoors forever 09-11-2011 08:50 AM

I was pulled over by a F&W once, really friendly, had my WT deer tags and moose tags checked, he even told me where they had just seen a bull moose 15 minutes prior! ( never got him! )

I only had one fish cop be a jerk to me in a fishing incident, all other encounters have been awesome.

:)

whitetail Junkie 09-11-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffy4 (Post 1074727)
Provincial Fish & Wildlife officers

I think that we are going to have to get you a Badge for the AOF.

wwbirds 09-11-2011 11:34 AM

Cws

The CWS (Canadian Wildlife Service division of Environment Canada) migratory officers are federal and often accompany provincial F & W officers checking Migratory hunters. Could have easily been both!

Big Daddy Badger 09-11-2011 12:10 PM

Never had a bad encounter with any of em.

Just treat em with respect and stay honest and they are no problem.
Ran into one while we were leaving an area once and he told us to park the truck and get up on a nearby knoll because he'd just seen a bunch of deer headed our way. He then left the little valley we were in so he wouldn't bugger it for us... we took 2 out of that herd.

Was a bit like having our own professional guide for a minute there...lol

Great guy!!

xtreme hunter10 09-11-2011 01:16 PM

Dealing with F&W officers

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesky672 (Post 1075491)
Never had a bad encounter with any of em.

Just treat em with respect and stay honest and they are no problem.
Ran into one while we were leaving an area once and he told us to park the truck and get up on a nearby knoll because he'd just seen a bunch of deer headed our way. He then left the little valley we were in so he wouldn't bugger it for us... we took 2 out of that herd.

Was a bit like having our own professional guide for a minute there...lol

Great guy!!

Whatever the situation never lie. the truth is that they have been watching you for some time and have picked this time to make your aquiantance. Most of the time they know you have been fishing and/ or hunting.