Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Another Excited Bison Hunter (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=260000)

#1mooselover 07-18-2015 10:22 AM

Another Excited Bison Hunter

I have also drawn a bison tag. I really want to experience the hunt to the fullest like my other hunts. I want to stay out in the bush instead of a camp or hotel. How hard is it going to be to get off the beaten path or off the main road and set up a camp. Does a guy go all the way to Zama or to Rainbow. Any help from this awesome group would be much appreciated especially if you have gone on a hunt or work up in these areas.

Thunder/FX 07-18-2015 03:12 PM

Congrats Man!!!
I wish I could give you the info you need
But I'm sure it will be a hunt to remember

waterninja 07-18-2015 03:44 PM

Congrats on getting this probable once in a lifetime draw. Good luck.

Talking moose 07-18-2015 03:50 PM

Not hard at all. It's all bush and cut lines up there. Could be -40 though.....

wildalberta 07-18-2015 04:47 PM

all depends on the snow. 3 winters ago there was minimum waist to chest deep snow. down around the zama lake area is where you will find more in the open hunting season as they take to the larger grasslands.

big zeke 07-18-2015 06:42 PM

Hmmm

Just my opinion but you would be beyond crazy to try this hunt from the bush, it will be tough enough finding and then processing an animal, trying to do this at possibly -40 and a few feet of snow...wow.

Staying in a camp will alleviate a lot of other concerns so you can focus on the hunt and the fun afterwards. Just my opinion but you could up with a lot of memories, not fun ones.

Zeke

NBFK 07-18-2015 09:24 PM

I camped and it ****ing sucked bad. Never again! -30 was the daily lows.

kraftiest1 07-19-2015 08:05 PM

I worked up there for 4 years on a drilling rig. In my opinion it would be hit or miss on the camping idea. You could be lucky and end up with some decent weather, and by decent Zama weather I mean -20. Very good chance of it being -40 to -50 at times up there. There is a big open camp in Zama City that I would stay in. Talk to F&W in High Level and they should point you in the right direction. Be prepared as you may encounter a pile of snow, making things difficult. A sled would be a good option, and if you don't have one, there was a place in High Level you could rent them. Not sure if it is still there. Lots of wolves and Lynx up there as well. Enjoy your hunt! I'd love to get drawn for it!

#1mooselover 07-19-2015 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Still beyond excited but have a couple ten day hunts booked before that so good luck everyone in there hunting season.

backman2 07-20-2015 06:44 AM

Hey guys (and gals!) I've helped several people get their bulls since the draw began. I'm especially the guy who is able to help those that are not really equipped. I have the expertise and the knowledge and all the equipment. If you know someone who needs help, then send them my way. I primarily love the hunt! You can be sure that I'm not in it for the money! Kurt

Redfrog 07-20-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backman2 (Post 2900522)
Hey guys (and gals!) I've helped several people get their bulls since the draw began. I'm especially the guy who is able to help those that are not really equipped. I have the expertise and the knowledge and all the equipment. If you know someone who needs help, then send them my way. I primarily love the hunt! You can be sure that I'm not in it for the money! Kurt

Do you charge for this?

James_B 07-20-2015 01:10 PM

Congrads!

It's going too be epic!!! I also have the tag and can't wait for the trip!!!

bonecollector10 07-20-2015 03:05 PM

Just keep in mind there are a few sketchy characters in that area. Be really unfortunate to come back to camp either trashed or stolen when its -30 and dark...

newguy 07-20-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2900839)
Do you charge for this?

the guy is making a nice gesture... i'll bet you hope he says yes so you can pounce on him. sad.

Redfrog 07-20-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy (Post 2901161)
the guy is making a nice gesture... i'll bet you hope he says yes so you can pounce on him. sad.

Or you could be wrong again and I'm looking for information. Why would I give a flying rodent's patoot if he's charging? If he is , is it a secret?

Unbunch your panties and go annoy someone else.

Dangphool 07-21-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backman2 (Post 2900522)

I just joined this forum as a google search brought me here... so this is my first post.

I've also drawn for Bison and would be interested in speaking to an outfitter or local who would be interested in providing information or assistance.

I've been to High Level but not Zama before, thanks!
-Justin