Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Technical fly-fishing? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317576)

Mr Flyguy 03-18-2017 10:29 AM

Technical fly-fishing?

Discussing various threads is fun here, and helps to pass the time until the ice melts.

Anyway, here's a more serious thread for input.

I've been chucking flies for >45 years but often see the terms "technical water", "technical fly-fishing", "technical nymphing", etc., etc., in a number of articles and wonder what the heck they mean by the word "technical". Is it just elitists trying to make the sport more complicated than it should be or trying to scare away newbies and novices from going to a particular piece of water?:confused:

Jason.seaward 03-18-2017 10:39 AM

Hi Mr. fly guy
The term "technical" fly fishing stems from the branding of tight line nymphing (influenced by euro approaches) by members of the US fly fishing team. I think they are using the term to illustrate a very effective/efficient approach to nymphing. There are aspects that are technical.

Jason.seaward 03-18-2017 11:14 AM

You are right. It does not need to be this complicated. This approach is appealing for those you want to expand on their usual techniques.

The Spank 03-18-2017 12:57 PM

I wonder what the technical term is for when I just feel like dragging a large streamer on a sink tip line behind the boat using my electric trolling motor for ice out trout? :medium-smiley-035:

Jason.seaward 03-18-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spank (Post 3497024)
I wonder what the technical term is for when I just feel like dragging a large streamer on a sink tip line behind the boat using my electric trolling motor for ice out trout? :medium-smiley-035:

It's called "lazy".

(Joking)

Mr Flyguy 03-18-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

I call it mooching, sounds more "technical"

thumper 03-18-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

I'd call that 'Tactical'.

Especially if your trolling motor is black.

scel 03-18-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 3496916)
Discussing various threads is fun here, and helps to pass the time until the ice melts.

Anyway, here's a more serious thread for input.

I've been chucking flies for >45 years but often see the terms "technical water", "technical fly-fishing", "technical nymphing", etc., etc., in a number of articles and wonder what the heck they mean by the word "technical". Is it just elitists trying to make the sport more complicated than it should be or trying to scare away newbies and novices from going to a particular piece of water?:confused:

In regards to technical water and technical fly fishing (different from technical nymphing), for the most part, I think it implies the number of constraints that are in place to properly present a fly. If you have ever spent a day fishing the spring creek in western Alberta, you will understand 'technical' fly fishing. Gin clear water, undercut banks, willows right to the banks that leave absolutely no room for a back cast (essentially fishing straight up and downstream), and neurotic brown trout. After 45 years, it might not be technical fishing for you, but the first time I experienced it, I had 5 years fly fishing under my belt, and it was absolutely humbling.

Pikebreath 03-21-2017 01:59 AM

While the term may seem elitist to some, technical fishing whether it is with Fly or gear to me has always meant that higher level of skill and knowledge and often specialized gear is required to be successful. That could be flyfishing for trout in gin clear spring creeks, bone fishing on the flats, offshore trolling for pelagic species, downrigging for salmon etc..

Flight01 03-21-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 3497253)
I'd call that 'Tactical'.

Especially if your trolling motor is black.

I believe the technical term is "tacticool":)

Okotokian 03-21-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 3499615)
I believe the technical term is "tacticool":)

"Modern sporting rod and reel"
http://www.flyfishingdiscounter.com/...with4rings.jpg

Mr Flyguy 03-22-2017 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Pikebreath;3499091]downrigging for salmon /QUOTE]

This is fly fishing? More like another word for boring.

Okotokian 03-22-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

LOL Best day I ever had with a fly rod was doing EXACTLY what you describe on Chain Lakes last year. Couldn't keep the rainbows off the hook! I've never had that success trolling conventional lures and tackle!

I always just thought technical meant skinny, clear water and/or heavily pressured smart fish.... meaning you had to use some additional skill/technique

Scott N 03-22-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

I think it's called enjoying a nice, relaxing day on the water.