Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wow, is allI can say (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=346471)

Grizzly Adams 06-15-2018 07:45 AM

Wow, is allI can say

Grizzly Bear Sighting Jun 14, 2018 A week ago there was a confirmed sighting of a grizzly bear north of Highway 27 near
the Kneehill County boundary. Grizzly and black bears have been seen in the area. There has been no aggressive action on
their part. (info from Fish & Wildlife)

That's way out on the prairie.

Grizz

Taco 06-15-2018 08:02 AM

That oughta get the predator paranoid hyperventilating!

dmcbride 06-15-2018 08:07 AM

But how can this be????

“Grizzly bears need large tracks of contiguous habitat in order to recover,” Environment and Parks Minister Shannon Phillips said Wednesday.

45/70/500 06-15-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3799159)
Grizzly Bear Sighting Jun 14, 2018 A week ago there was a confirmed sighting of a grizzly bear north of Highway 27 near
the Kneehill County boundary. Grizzly and black bears have been seen in the area. There has been no aggressive action on
their part. (info from Fish & Wildlife)

That's way out on the prairie.

Grizz

fish& feathers was baby sitting one north of strathmore 2 yrs a go he went south east of vulcan then a diff. fish cops took over so we didnt hear any thing after that

dodger 06-15-2018 08:17 AM

they should close Kneehill County until the bears move on. :scared0018:

Dodger.

HoytCRX32 06-15-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 3799178)

Dodger.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stinky Buffalo 06-15-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 3799178)

Dodger.

That's solid gold, right there. :sHa_shakeshout:

st99 06-15-2018 08:46 AM

They've reach the maximum carrying capacity years ago in the foothills and mountains, all the surplus will have to migrate to find habitat. Our elected official will keep their heads in the sand until kids get killed by wandering bear.

Albertadiver 06-15-2018 09:04 AM

If you want to read some garbage, click this link!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-province-says

Y2Y are just salivating.....

Those bears need protection because there's only 1100 in the entire province!

Sooner 06-15-2018 09:28 AM

Too bad it is so costly. Would be nice to fund a independent Grizzly bear survey to counter the garbage the Gov keeps spewing out on their numbers. Using the GB to help facilitate more closures.

Even the AO poll that was done a couple years ago where GB sightings were posted showed a lot more GB in Ab that the gov said.

HoytCRX32 06-15-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertadiver (Post 3799204)
If you want to read some garbage, click this link!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-province-says

Y2Y are just salivating.....

Those bears need protection because there's only 1100 in the entire province!

Have you seen the Y2Y map?? Just a bit in the US...mostly in Canada...why aren't the trying to get into Alaska? Probably because they know what Alaskans would do about it...Canadians are such pushovers...ugh

ctd 06-15-2018 09:37 AM

If you go to the Lois and Clark center in Montana. They talk about Grizzly bear habitat being on the Praries historically. We drove them out of the area.
Now the Farmers down there are having issues with them comming back into farm land from the mountains.

Biologists are not doing a great job of looking at things from a historical perspective. By no doing so are doing us a disservice. :thinking-006:

Puma 06-15-2018 09:58 AM

Grizz

Two grizz hanging around the Shell Station on the highway 22 just north of Cochrane this week. F&W are advising the acreage crowd to carry Bear spray when out in the yard.

rem338win 06-15-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctd (Post 3799236)
If you go to the Lois and Clark center in Montana. They talk about Grizzly bear habitat being on the Praries historically. We drove them out of the area.
Now the Farmers down there are having issues with them comming back into farm land from the mountains.

Biologists are not doing a great job of looking at things from a historical perspective. By no doing so are doing us a disservice. :thinking-006:

Sorry, you trailed off there and it's hard to make sense of it.

I am assuming you think the lack of accountability in our Environment Ministry to use science vs barely educated guessing on this subject is ok because grizzlies have been seen on the prairies again?

So history lesson; grizzlies historically did populate most of the prairies in Alberta. That's pretty neat and I like it, but the landscape was the moon in comparison to what it is now.

Back then agriculture had not taken over, fencing didn't exist, antelope followed the buffalo and elk were in large herds as well. Not only that but we had safe grouse across the southern province as well, pheasants were exotic and unheard of along with Hungarian Partridge and horses didn't exist here either.

Given it would take a few hundred years to actively return southern AB back to what it was, and we'd have to euthanize a lot of people to get there, I'd suggest your not going tondind any footing in reality on that subject.

Now science lesson; we have a system of hokey anecdotal evidence that Shannon's dream team is building this plan off of. And it's funny because when they are faced with anecdotal matters brought to them from other equally credible sources that oppose the position they WANT to take, they dismiss it as anecdotal. Now, i dont know the mind of the bear, but I do believe when we see old and young bears moving out onto the prairies, and when people who use the mountains regularly are seeing more bears then ever before, and more public interactions with grizz are being recorded than before (even when education and recreational closures at an all time high), and attacks are climbing, well, i will suggest it isn't because bears want to see more of us.

It's because we currently have a healthy population and this is entirely political while science is being ignored.

ctd 06-15-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem338win (Post 3799261)
Sorry, you trailed off there and it's hard to make sense of it.

I am assuming you think the lack of accountability in our Environment Ministry to use science vs barely educated guessing on this subject is ok because grizzlies have been seen on the prairies again?

So history lesson; grizzlies historically did populate most of the prairies in Alberta. That's pretty neat and I like it, but the landscape was the moon in comparison to what it is now.

Back then agriculture had not taken over, fencing didn't exist, antelope followed the buffalo and elk were in large herds as well. Not only that but we had safe grouse across the southern province as well, pheasants were exotic and unheard of along with Hungarian Partridge and horses didn't exist here either.

Given it would take a few hundred years to actively return southern AB back to what it was, and we'd have to euthanize a lot of people to get there, I'd suggest your not going tondind any footing in reality on that subject.

Now science lesson; we have a system of hokey anecdotal evidence that Shannon's dream team is building this plan off of. And it's funny because when they are faced with anecdotal matters brought to them from other equally credible sources that oppose the position they WANT to take, they dismiss it as anecdotal. Now, i dont know the mind of the bear, but I do believe when we see old and young bears moving out onto the prairies, and when people who use the mountains regularly are seeing more bears then ever before, and more public interactions with grizz are being recorded than before (even when education and recreational closures at an all time high), and attacks are climbing, well, i will suggest it isn't because bears want to see more of us.

It's because we currently have a healthy population and this is entirely political while science is being ignored.

I think it is disgusting that they seem to be surprised about the actual numbers and the habitat they can and do live in.
Their studies, policies and laws are based on opinions and partial facts more times then based on actual full facts.

I think the government needs to do a better job at policy.

I in no way agree with the current environment minister or their policies. They are a special group driven with an agenda which is scary for all users.

Taco 06-15-2018 11:54 AM

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to have grizzlies show up in the Cypress Hills within the next 5-6 yrs.

Stinky Coyote 06-15-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma (Post 3799246)
Two grizz hanging around the Shell Station on the highway 22 just north of Cochrane this week. F&W are advising the acreage crowd to carry Bear spray when out in the yard.

as i said in another thread, bet there's a dozen grizz within a mile or two of hwy 22 at any moment...much further east than people think, you need to rethink what you carry when you go play, gopher shooting, you name it

and with the logic of 'it used to roam there historically' maybe we should get some dino dna and build some dino's and turn em loose too...could help with the grizzly problem lol

Stinky Coyote 06-15-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctd (Post 3799291)
I think it is disgusting that they seem to be surprised about the actual numbers and the habitat they can and do live in.
Their studies, policies and laws are based on opinions and partial facts more times then based on actual full facts.

I think the government needs to do a better job at policy.

I in no way agree with the current environment minister or their policies. They are a special group driven with an agenda which is scary for all users.

i think the govt. should brace themselves for lawsuits for the lack of information or mis-information surrounding grizzly bear numbers in this province as more and more people get chewed up by them thinking 'what?, i thought they were endangered'......scary situation imo, most people have no idea the truth about predator numbers in this province and that's very wrong

MountainTi 06-16-2018 08:05 PM

http://mountainviewbearsmart.com/bea...ity_report.php

Red Bullets 06-16-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote (Post 3799335)
i think the govt. should brace themselves for lawsuits for the lack of information or mis-information surrounding grizzly bear numbers in this province as more and more people get chewed up by them thinking 'what?, i thought they were endangered'......scary situation imo, most people have no idea the truth about predator numbers in this province and that's very wrong

The government has a master plan. Increase the grizzly population on the prairies. The bears will cull the weak, old and stupid from the human herd.

In 2015 there was a wolverine running around in a Lethbridge neighborhood too.

Grizzly Adams 06-16-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3799854)

Didsbury, get Ready. :lol:

Grizz

muledriver 06-17-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3799900)
The government has a master plan. Increase the grizzly population on the prairies. The bears will cull the weak, old and stupid from the human herd.

In 2015 there was a wolverine running around in a Lethbridge neighborhood too.

Not much real prairie left in Alberta.

Red Bullets 06-17-2018 01:11 AM

It is not so unreal the bears are moving east. Grizzlies used to range all the way to Manitoba so they have a ways to expand to their historical range limits. And grizzlies were along the north Saskatchewan river too. Back in the day...Two men were killed by a grizzly along the NSR at a place still named Grizzly Bear Coulee, east of Edmonton.

I mentioned in another thread that in 1871 Hudson Bay Company traders took in 750 grizzly bear skins in the one season...just at Cypress Hills. Most were summer pelts shot from horseback. More bears in the Cypress area were shot that year and were traded to other traders. HBC also took in 1500 elk hides from the Cypress hills that year.

So logic might suggest as the prairie elk herds are expanded the grizzly will follow.

Grizzly Adams 06-17-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3799934)
It is not so unreal the bears are moving east. Grizzlies used to range all the way to Manitoba so they have a ways to expand to their historical range limits. And grizzlies were along the north Saskatchewan river too. Back in the day...Two men were killed by a grizzly along the NSR at a place still named Grizzly Bear Coulee, east of Edmonton.

I mentioned in another thread that in 1871 Hudson Bay Company traders took in 750 grizzly bear skins in the one season...just at Cypress Hills. Most were summer pelts shot from horseback. More bears in the Cypress area were shot that year and were traded to other traders. HBC also took in 1500 elk hides from the Cypress hills that year.

So logic might suggest as the prairie elk herds are expanded the grizzly will follow.

Entirely so, as bear numbers increase in the West country, pressure is going to push them further east. Some would call that a success story, but not likely what we're going to hear from the whining "conservationists".

Grizz

trapper1981 06-17-2018 08:41 AM

Funny a grizz so far from normal habitat

Don_Parsons 06-17-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper1981 (Post 3799981)
Funny a grizz so far from normal habitat

The normal habitat for a big bear is where it wants to be.

The historical range of Grizzlies was quite large before Eastern Settles moved in.

https://goo.gl/images/sE9wJg

Maybe they will link up with the Southern Manitoba Elk heard, from there it's only a hop skip and jump to the Endiki Lk Ontario heard.

bubba300 06-17-2018 09:15 AM

Friends had a black bear by there place a few weeks ago at highway 21 and 587(Huxley).That is a fair bit east for a bear.Seen a facebook post that its bin getting into bee-hives.

thumper 06-17-2018 09:39 AM

We sent wolves south to repopulate Yellowstone. Why not send our prairie bears south the California to repopulate that state? It's their state animal - even on their flag!

thumper 06-17-2018 09:48 AM

Prairie grizzlies. It's interesting to read the records and diaries of the first white people crossing the continent, especially the scientifically minded groups like the Lewis and Clarke Expedition, and comparing their meticulous records of animal sightings with maps of 'first nations' territories. Almost without exception, grizzlies were seen only in inter-tribal - 'no-man' lands between tribal territories, where they seldom encountered humans. Within central tribal territories, they were very actively killed by natives - both to prove the virility of the hunter, and to remove a dangerous competitor/predator of the same plant food sources that native women and children were harvesting.
So grizzlies may have been 'common' on the prairies, but only in specific, and very limited areas.

Stinky Coyote 06-18-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3799854)

lol, yup...lots of hwy 22 mention there