Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Powder coating copper jacketed bullets? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405251)

1100winger 11-12-2021 01:08 PM

Powder coating copper jacketed bullets?

Title says it all -

Has anyone tried it?

marky_mark 11-12-2021 01:37 PM

Not sure what you would gain?

pikergolf 11-12-2021 02:01 PM

??? What kind of powder?

fps plus 11-12-2021 02:17 PM

Lots of bullets have been shot that are graphite coated . ?

catnthehat 11-12-2021 04:16 PM

From what I understand about powder coating, it is used to prevent leading when using cast bullets while keeping up higher velocity.

I know when using powder coated bullets in my Sharps and Haenel/ Aydt cartridge rifles , it certainly does that .
Boogerfart and I have also experimented in shooting my paper patched bullets un patched but with a double coat of powder coating with encouraging results but I have not shot enough of them to really come to a definite conclusion.

As far as jacketed bullets go, I have never tried powder coating them but I not sure if there actually a benefit to it as the jacket prevents .
The old Barnes XLC bullets and the Combined Technology bullets use a different compound and process to actual paint powder coating I think but I do not know much about them.
Cat

fps plus 11-13-2021 07:54 AM

Years ago I was impact coating bullets with graphite. I believe Norma did some testing and found the down range BC was higher than uncoated bullets . It was an interesting read. One could probably google it.

spurly 11-13-2021 09:15 AM

Bullets

Maybe he means moly coating bullets.

fps plus 11-13-2021 10:07 AM

Holy brain fart by me . Yes moly not graphite

catnthehat 11-13-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps plus (Post 4438823)
Holy brain fart by me . Yes moly not graphite

Oh Lord, been there, done that, took weeks to clean up the mess!LOL:budo:
Cat

Daslogster 11-14-2021 10:22 AM

moly

I moly bullets for my swift and 308 tactical rifle, cuts down on cleaning and extended barrel life but otherwise, its fiddly.

1100winger 11-15-2021 07:37 AM

No advantage then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4438540)
From what I understand about powder coating, it is used to prevent leading when using cast bullets while keeping up higher velocity.

I know when using powder coated bullets in my Sharps and Haenel/ Aydt cartridge rifles , it certainly does that .
Boogerfart and I have also experimented in shooting my paper patched bullets un patched but with a double coat of powder coating with encouraging results but I have not shot enough of them to really come to a definite conclusion.

As far as jacketed bullets go, I have never tried powder coating them but I not sure if there actually a benefit to it as the jacket prevents .
The old Barnes XLC bullets and the Combined Technology bullets use a different compound and process to actual paint powder coating I think but I do not know much about them.
Cat

My hunting partner powder coated his Barnes TSX - cites very little cleaning required. I know cast linotype can get powder coated - have not heard of copper projectiles though.

Thanks for the replies.

Glen

elkhunter11 11-15-2021 07:55 AM

Barnes did produce a bullet called the XLC with a coating other than moly, but it was discontinued. I tried moly coating, but I gave up after finding copper fouling under the moly, and because it took a dozen or so shots for accuracy to stabilize again after a full cleaning.

Dean2 11-15-2021 08:14 AM

I tried coating with moly and buying pre-coated. Wasn't worth the effort. I have bought powder coated cast and shot them but most of my cast rounds are not problematic as to leading so wasn't worth the extra cost to me. I have never even heard of someone powder coating a jacketed bullets. My bet is it would not improve performance re accuracy or copper fouling. If you give it a try please publish your results. Would be very interested to hear how it works out.

catnthehat 11-15-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4439662)
I tried coating with moly and buying pre-coated. Wasn't worth the effort. I have bought powder coated cast and shot them but most of my cast rounds are not problematic as to leading so wasn't worth the extra cost to me. I have never even heard of someone powder coating a jacketed bullets. My bet is it would not improve performance re accuracy or copper fouling. If you give it a try please publish your results. Would be very interested to hear how it works out.

Yeah, I tried the factory moly coated bullets, kinetically powder coating, and the spray on stuff. Non of it really impressed me after messing with it for more than a year for various reasons, and at the end of the day it was not a deciding factor on any particular rifle as far as accuracy was concerned .

As far as powder coating jacketed bullets go, there is a lot of argument against doing it just for the increased bullet diameter in the case of pure accuracy.
I have a few XLC Barnes bullets kicking around, just for yucks I may just measure them today to check the diameter against some of their uncoated bullets .:)
Cat

6.5 shooter 11-15-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4439672)
Yeah, I tried the factory moly coated bullets, kinetically powder coating, and the spray on stuff. Non of it really impressed me after messing with it for more than a year for various reasons, and at the end of the day it was not a deciding factor on any particular rifle as far as accuracy was concerned .

As far as powder coating jacketed bullets go, there is a lot of argument against doing it just for the increased bullet diameter in the case of pure accuracy.
I have a few XLC Barnes bullets kicking around, just for yucks I may just measure them today to check the diameter against some of their uncoated bullets .:)
Cat

I buy all the "coated" bullets I can (usually for 2/3 the price of non coated) Then throw the in my wet tumbler, remove all the coating and go shooting.