Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Carrying of sidearms (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=240303)

bear crossing 12-25-2014 01:40 PM

Carrying of sidearms

Has anyone heard any updates on open carry issue

airbornedeerhunter 12-25-2014 01:56 PM

Not to sound like a defeatist, but it will never happen in Canada. It's like the abortion issue, there is no political appetite for it whatsoever. Look at the fear mongering response the abolition of the LGR created. It would be political suicide for the Tories, and even if it was brought in it would be repealed if and when the Liberals make it back into government.

Redfrog 12-25-2014 02:15 PM

Well then , may as well just forget the whole thing now and not waste time trying to effect changes.

Dick284 12-25-2014 02:18 PM

If you are holding your breath waiting for this to happen, start breathing before you pass out and hurt yourself when you fall down.

The realities are, that 80 years of social engineering would first need to be reversed to come this end.

Buy lottery tickets, the odds are better.

IMO, things like property rights, bureaucratic accountability, and de-criminalization of firearms possession are far more easily obtained.

Selkirk 12-25-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear crossing (Post 2671435)
Has anyone heard any updates on open carry issue

Update; 'No change'

I'm sure if we checked back in ten years from now, the update will still be the same.

For further details check Dick's post (#4) ... especially his fourth line.

Mac

Redfrog 12-25-2014 02:37 PM

Social engineering changes did not come about overnight. 80 years ago this world was a different place. How was all that social changes brought about.

How many people said we would never get rid of the LGR?

Of course it won't happen overnight, but it will not happen at all without the support and dedicated work of those people who want change.

Battle Rat 12-25-2014 02:46 PM

Change does not come from the effort of pessimists because they generally little.
The effort of Optimists is what got rid of the long gun registry.

surhuntsalot 12-25-2014 02:53 PM

Funny how certain occupations are already permitted to open carry. Trappers, surveyors, guides etc. I believe there is a challenge underway based on the grounds that there is no reason to discriminate against bow hunters or blueberry pickers provided they meet the same requirements given to those others being granted carry permits....

There are a bunch of requirements, and a ton of paper work involved, not all applications are approved , but some are. One of the questions is " Would Law Enforcement be able to offer you the protection in a reasonable amount of time?"... In many circumstances where outdoorsman are, they would not.

Got Juice? 12-25-2014 03:04 PM

This always comes with me....

http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Ge...ukri_31-002074

Cougars are opportunistic predators. And given the opportunity... you are food.

Suggesting that you carry a handgun ... shocking.... who would possibly even think of such a thing.

But hypothetically, a GLOCK in 10MM would be my choice... and a STANDARD capacity mag. 15 in the mag, one in the pipe.

Handloaded to max power.

That would level the playing field for a Cougar, Grizzly, or a Moose.

honda450 12-25-2014 03:06 PM

My Mom worked at the Bank of Nova Scotia in Calgary 17 Ave SW. 1965, she had a gun in her till. Grandpa had a handgun in his truck for years we just called it the Colt. Grandpa said don't touch that Colt and we never. Don't know what happened to that Colt. Don't know what model it was or where it is. Somehow or other no one was killed. Dang man what went wrong?

220swifty 12-25-2014 03:25 PM

Read what the frog said. It's very true.

honda450 12-25-2014 03:40 PM

Dang 220 we gotta read your 4 pages of BS every post?

Get over it man. Get your wife to pat ya on the head and say good dog.

Immigrant 12-25-2014 04:03 PM

I have never felt the need to carry a sidearm in Canada. I carried one before coming to Canada and it was a pain in the arse. Always sticking in to your back. You could never sit comfortably. And always worried about keeping it clean. Always worried when visiting friends that it is safe from the kids. And always drawing attention to yourself from people wanting to take the sidearm from you. It is frankly not worth the effort.
As for trappers and guides feeling the need to carry I think a regular 12 guage is more effective than any sidearm will ever be.

Suka 12-25-2014 04:12 PM

http://www.wildernessprotection.ca/

hillbillyreefer 12-25-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 2671563)
I have never felt the need to carry a sidearm in Canada. I carried one before coming to Canada and it was a pain in the arse. Always sticking in to your back. You could never sit comfortably. And always worried about keeping it clean. Always worried when visiting friends that it is safe from the kids. And always drawing attention to yourself from people wanting to take the sidearm from you. It is frankly not worth the effort.
As for trappers and guides feeling the need to carry I think a regular 12 guage is more effective than any sidearm will ever be.

At one time you were allowed to make your own decisions on whether to pack or not. That is what a lot of us in Canada advocate for too, the freedom to choose. We are not discussing type of firearm in this thread, we are discussing the carrying of sidearms.

guywiththemule 12-25-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer (Post 2671569)
At one time you were allowed to make your own decisions on whether to pack or not. That is what a lot of us in Canada advocate for too, the freedom to choose. We are not discussing type of firearm in this thread, we are discussing the carrying of sidearms.

Exactly !! You do what works for you,but don't tell me what's good and proper for my situation.:snapoutofit:

javlin101 12-25-2014 04:55 PM

Still do not understand why carrying a side arm is needed. Lived hee for 56 years and see no need.

220swifty 12-25-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda450 (Post 2671547)
Dang 220 we gotta read your 4 pages of BS every post?

Get over it man. Get your wife to pat ya on the head and say good dog.

4 pages? You need to change your browser settings! (Or, if it bothers you, you can change the forum settings so you don't see signatures.)

hillbillyreefer 12-25-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javlin101 (Post 2671587)
Still do not understand why carrying a side arm is needed. Lived hee for 56 years and see no need.

Are you saying that "because you see no need for sidearms"no one should have the freedom to chose their own path? I fully support your decision not to carry, it's unfortunate that you feel the need to infringe on others activities.

Redfrog 12-25-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 2671563)

The discussion isn't to make carry compulsory. No one said you had to carry a sidearm. How I protect myself is not your decision to make.

"Still do not understand why carrying a side arm is needed. Lived hee for 56 years and see no need."

Let me see if I can help. Because it a person's right to protect themselves.

I still do not understand why someone would bring cleaning supplies to a gunfight.:thinking-006:

javlin101 12-25-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer (Post 2671594)
Are you saying that "because you see no need for sidearms"no one should have the freedom to chose their own path? I fully support your decision not to carry, it's unfortunate that you feel the need to infringe on others activities.

Not at all, I have never seen a need, however if one needs to carry well OK. I just donot unders the need and what it will help.

Wolftrapper 12-25-2014 05:30 PM

It would be great to be able to have the choice to carry a sidearm or not.
I think society has changed to much though now for us to ever get that right again.
Maybe I'm wrong and I hope so. Like Red said you have to try.

Badgerbadger 12-25-2014 05:53 PM

Based on how people talk in the driving threads, I wouldn't trust 'em with sidearms, either!

hillbillyreefer 12-25-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javlin101 (Post 2671602)
Not at all, I have never seen a need, however if one needs to carry well OK. I just donot unders the need and what it will help.

:happy0180::happy0180:

Merry Christmas!

expmler 12-25-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

What will it hurt?

I have no real "need" for alcohol, is that grounds for a ban?

Badgerbadger 12-25-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expmler (Post 2671630)
What will it hurt?

I have no real "need" for alcohol, is that grounds for a ban?

Imagine, if you will, kids taking their parents pistols, as much as they steal their parents smokes, pills, and alcohol.

You might want to read about accidental shootings in the states, by kids shooting their friends, family members, and themselves. It happens quite a bit.

Unregistered user 12-25-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

I don't understand why some men need to dress up like women, but they do and their right to do so is protected by the charter. It aint about need pilgrim.

elkhunter11 12-25-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badgerbadger (Post 2671638)
Imagine, if you will, kids taking their parents pistols, as much as they steal their parents smokes, pills, and alcohol.

That is actually a very silly comparison, seeing as how there are no legal storage regulations for tobacco, medication and alcohol.

Badgerbadger 12-25-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 2671649)
That is actually a very silly comparison, seeing as how there are no legal storage regulations for tobacco, medication and alcohol.

Exmpler was the one who made the alcohol comparison.

And as we saw in pretty much ALL the threads about driving, there are quite a number of people who don't think rules/laws/regulations apply to them because they're smarter than the average bear.

My viewpoint comes from "Half the population is of below average intelligence", and I'd rather they didn't have hand cannons on them all the time.

hillbillyreefer 12-25-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badgerbadger (Post 2671638)

You might want to read about accidental shootings in the states, by kids shooting their friends, family members, and themselves. It happens quite a bit.

Cars, motorcycles, quads, swimming pools, illegal drugs, thousands of ways to die, most of them far more likely than by a firearm. But hey keep up with the fear mongering, we Canadians couldn't live without the hand wringing.

You might want to read up on drownings in the states, happens far more than you think.

Where has anyone suggested that allowing wilderness carry trumps safe storage laws, or the need for licensing?