Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Just how bad is the Glenmore Reservoir? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=384195)

JJ1994 07-04-2020 05:31 PM

Just how bad is the Glenmore Reservoir?

Despite catching the odd fish here and there, I find the Glenmore Reservoir in Calgary to be atrocious for fishing. The water is constantly murky, there's another angler every 50 ft, there's families and people everywhere making noise and throwing rocks in the water, and most times you end up getting skunked. The regs imply there's a few different species in there...perch, whitefish, trout, pike, but I haven't seen anyone pull anything except hammer handle pike and the rare brown trout. I've even tried upstream in weaselhead flats to no avail. I've heard it used to be better prior to the 2013 floods. I'm probably just going to stick to the Bow going forward. I guess if you want good fishing, you've gotta put in the effort and go out of town :rolleye2:

Smoky buck 07-04-2020 05:44 PM

I fished it pre flood and back then people complained about it :lol:.

The funny part is myself and my buddies actually caught lots of respectable pike 5-15lbs and the odd 5lbs+ brown and rainbows. This was consistently and can’t remember getting skunked. Actually met guys who did great for perch and burbot but I never figured them out

One thing I have learned over the years every time I hear about how a body or water is tough or no good you will also find the odd fishermen that has the place dialed in.

kinwahkly 07-04-2020 06:47 PM

You've got to expect it to be busy. Smack dab in a million plus people.

Spudnut 07-05-2020 03:46 PM

Glenmore can be hit or miss, but there is some good fishing to be had there. Water clarity varies a lot throughout the year. The key to Glenmore is to find the hot spots. It is also a lot easier if you can fish from a small boat. We filmed a short video from there last year and caught four or five pike in about 2 hours. The water was very clear - just need to sit along the edge of the weedbeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FALBduQRAo&t=4s

archerynut 07-06-2020 11:47 AM

Back when I was single and had more time to fish I would usually fish on the east side of the causeway. You used to be able to cross underneath. I did pretty good for pike and even caught a few beauty rainbows. Seen some very large burbot carcasses so they're in there! Good luck. Maybe rent a canoe from the club and check out some good weed beds.

barbless 07-06-2020 12:43 PM

Get yourself a two man rubber raft and float around. Don't even have to go to far from the club. You will be away from the shore mongers. If you get a canoe it would be easier to troll. There are also some easy 5lb suckers in there.

Smoky buck 07-06-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbless (Post 4198383)
Get yourself a two man rubber raft and float around. Don't even have to go to far from the club. You will be away from the shore mongers. If you get a canoe it would be easier to troll. There are also some easy 5lb suckers in there.

Unless the laws have changed no inflatables allowed in Glenmore. This was years ago so may have changed

lds 07-06-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4198414)
Unless the laws have changed no inflatables allowed in Glenmore. This was years ago so may have changed

Still not aloud. Inflatables According to city of Calgary website.

slamilton 07-07-2020 11:56 AM

I often get skunked but occasionally get a small pike. Also, saw a guy with a small tin boat a few days ago. I tried to tell him it was not allowed but he didnt care. I said "why do you think there are no other boats out here besides you?" If it was allowed it would be a zoo. At least he didnt have a motor.

Smoky buck 07-07-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamilton (Post 4198926)
I often get skunked but occasionally get a small pike. Also, saw a guy with a small tin boat a few days ago. I tried to tell him it was not allowed but he didnt care. I said "why do you think there are no other boats out here besides you?" If it was allowed it would be a zoo. At least he didnt have a motor.

In the past it was a ban on inflatables only tin boat, fiberglass, wood or any solid craft would be fine. I vaguely remember motor restrictions as well but can’t remember what

Again it has been years since I have fished there so things may have changed. Maybe someone up to date on this can chime in or post a link

Ormachek 07-07-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamilton (Post 4198926)

Yeah....he was allowed to be there. Not inflatable, no motor, totally ok.

MathewsArcher 07-07-2020 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Bylaw 9018

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1594156390

barbless 07-07-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathewsArcher (Post 4199029)

OK didn't know about the inflatable. Guess a pike would bite it and deflate it. Always thought of a dinghy as an inflatable but I stand corrected. There are different types.

Smoky buck 07-07-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbless (Post 4199037)
OK didn't know about the inflatable. Guess a pike would bite it and deflate it. Always thought of a dinghy as an inflatable but I stand corrected. There are different types.

Years ago I was told it was to cut back on litter. Yes I know a bit of a stretch but that was the reason I was given

crosman177 07-07-2020 04:19 PM

Slow for pike this year. The burbot have been a hoot!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZEsx5Uy

Brovacs 07-07-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosman177 (Post 4199070)
Slow for pike this year. The burbot have been a hoot!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZEsx5Uy

Nice catch man!

crosman177 07-08-2020 11:48 AM

Thanks pal. Just choose the right bait/lure and areas is all you need to know ;)

Bow flyman 07-08-2020 06:18 PM

I have fished the reservoir a lot over the years, and for me the fishing has gone downhill. I rarely fish there anymore. I have noticed a huge increase in fishing pressure every year all over the reservoir. I am just glad to have had the good days in the past.

Brovacs 07-08-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosman177 (Post 4199538)
Thanks pal. Just choose the right bait/lure and areas is all you need to know ;)

Awesome work getting it that dialled in! I've caught pike, whitefish, rainbows, browns and even one bull trout but the burbot and perch have proved elusive. I want that inner-city grand-slam!

AlpineFlyFisher 07-08-2020 09:25 PM

Try it at nighttime

crosman177 07-10-2020 10:43 AM

They’re there. Caught at least 12. Kept one. Tasted great!

Go at night. Target deep water. Tight lines and sharp hooks. Use a rod holder and bell set up. Be patient.

I think I’m going to try out jigging from a canoe this weekend. Should be exciting.

Spudnut 07-13-2020 10:03 AM

Interested to hear how it went if you did go out. I was thinking about taking the kayak out this week.