Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   info on this Ruger MKII? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=190573)

Alberta Bigbore 09-02-2013 07:37 PM

info on this Ruger MKII?

Just picked u a new to me Ruger MKII in .270 win.

Ive always wanted a Ruger with shiny stainless.. and this stock.. and one in mint.. but what sold me are the factory sights. I had never seen one with the irons before. Is this a particular model? Its in the mail on its way to me. It has 10 rounds fired.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1cecf152.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa63503d2.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2f347a0a.jpg

Chewbacca 09-02-2013 07:59 PM

Nice rifle! Trying to figure out whats on the front of the barrel. Get it sighted in with the irons, that way if ya stumble and crank your scope, a Leatherman should be able to take it off and your still in business. That was just one of the pluses on my CZ. Good ole irons for back up. :)

Alberta Bigbore 09-02-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 2100758)
Nice rifle! Trying to figure out whats on the front of the barrel. Get it sighted in with the irons, that way if ya stumble and crank your scope, a Leatherman should be able to take it off and your still in business. That was just one of the pluses on my CZ. Good ole irons for back up. :)

Thanks. Ive been meaning to buy one for over 10 years.. but whenever i found one of these shiny beauties .... they were beaten up. This one doesnt have a scratch on it. The front of thr barrel has the front sight style that the Ruger no.1`s have on them for front sights.

RatFink 09-02-2013 08:41 PM

Wow that's a darn good looking rifle! I love the bling factor of the shiny barrel! I bet it's more resilient than the matte finish on my gunsite scout's barrel.

SkytopBrewster 09-02-2013 08:44 PM

very NICE! I have the same one in .338WM, without the sights. M77-Mark II All Weather Sporter

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...er-sid716.aspx

Dick284 09-02-2013 08:53 PM

Beauty "boat paddle" Ruger!

BigJon 09-02-2013 09:00 PM

For some crazy reason I like these rifles as well. And like ABB, after a number of years I was finally able to find one in the chambering I wanted - .338 WM. Just received last week and I am itching to get out to the range...but I had to wait for a bloody shell holder to come in the mail :(...Hopefully this week I'll get out.

graybeard 09-02-2013 09:23 PM

What a beauty.......ABB.

My MK II just arrived in a .308 with a Hogue stock, in 99%. I love the look of your steel sights though.

I put a silver Leupy 3x9x40mm on top.
I have yet to shoot it but it has a low round count.
The included target, illustrates clover leafing.....165 grainers

I am pumped to shoot it.

BTW, congrats on your dream.

Puma 09-02-2013 09:27 PM

Ruger

Nice, I always liked the canoe paddle Ruger`s. My MKII in 6.5x55 in wood has sights on it as well !
Puma

double gun 09-02-2013 09:29 PM

Good score!

SkytopBrewster 09-02-2013 09:32 PM

I put mine in a Hogue overmoulded stock years ago, the 338WM with the hard plastic stock kicked pretty hard. I pity anyone who bought a T3 Lite in 338WM, way too light.

harv3589 09-02-2013 09:41 PM

Very nice rifle! I have a friend who pretty much every caliber those boat paddle rifles came in...he loves them.

waterhaulerhunter 09-02-2013 10:01 PM

Had the same gun in .223. It was my first yote gun, and it put a lot of dogs to sleep. That nice shiny barrel sure gives off one heck of a glare though lol. They're a good looking gun but I found then to be overly heavy. Either way nice score, and pretty cool with the open sights!

BigJon 09-02-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster (Post 2100928)
I put mine in a Hogue overmoulded stock years ago, the 338WM with the hard plastic stock kicked pretty hard. I pity anyone who bought a T3 Lite in 338WM, way too light.

Mine came with a pacmayar decel...aftermarket add on of course. I will find out hopefully this week what it feels like to shoot.

A friend of mine has one of these in .338 WM, his load of choice is a 250 grain Nos. Partition overtop of 4831 I believe and he finds the recoil "not bad at all." They certainly have the weight to tame a bit of recoil. If I recall his wearing a VXII 3-9x40 and sling weighs close to 9lbs (can't remember if that is with or without a handful of cartridges).

I plan on trying to 200 grain ballistic tips to start...

Alberta Bigbore 09-02-2013 11:29 PM

Just wondering if it was a special model due to the open sights.

Thanks for the words.

Some rifles you hum and haw about...and some you jump out of your seat whiteknuckled yelling " ill take it!!!!"

double gun 09-02-2013 11:31 PM

The ones with sights were often shown in ads, but I didnt see that many of them in actually in stores.

just_dave 09-02-2013 11:38 PM

I have the same gun in a 7mm rem mag. I can tell you they are built solid. Put it this way, I would lug my gun through everything the Slave Lake area had to offer in all conditions. I never once worried about my gun failing. It's been pounded by sand, snow, mud, fallen out of a 20ft tree stand, muskeg, heat, cold, roll over with a quad, bouncing in a truck, and the only time I was let down using it is when a primer failed in a reload.

My gun has been used by so many different people to take their animals that doing a count, my gun has taken more animals by others using it than I've taken with it. And I'm a one gun at a time guy, because I couldn't afford it any other way, ;) so I've taken a few animals with it. My beat up scary looking face is a representation of how my life has been lived. My gun has been there with me through it for a good portion. It wears its scars proud as well.

I can thank my MKII for saving my life. Had I missed when I pulled the trigger, I was prepared to swing it until the end. I'm certain still, it would've saved me. For that I will never part with it.

Snort 09-03-2013 09:48 AM

The model should be an RS(Rings and sights) rather than the plain R(rings).

Alberta Bigbore 09-04-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_dave (Post 2101099)
I have the same gun in a 7mm rem mag. I can tell you they are built solid. Put it this way, I would lug my gun through everything the Slave Lake area had to offer in all conditions. I never once worried about my gun failing. It's been pounded by sand, snow, mud, fallen out of a 20ft tree stand, muskeg, heat, cold, roll over with a quad, bouncing in a truck, and the only time I was let down using it is when a primer failed in a reload.

My gun has been used by so many different people to take their animals that doing a count, my gun has taken more animals by others using it than I've taken with it. And I'm a one gun at a time guy, because I couldn't afford it any other way, ;) so I've taken a few animals with it. My beat up scary looking face is a representation of how my life has been lived. My gun has been there with me through it for a good portion. It wears its scars proud as well.

I can thank my MKII for saving my life. Had I missed when I pulled the trigger, I was prepared to swing it until the end. I'm certain still, it would've saved me. For that I will never part with it.

Thats great lol

Pioneer2 09-05-2013 07:32 AM

sold mine

Found it as ergonomic as a stepladder in a phone booth. along with the factory 14lb trigger.My buddy had the matching gun both in .270 it would misfire only at game.Had it to several smiths changed mainspring to Wolff.Checked bolt for gunk but none seen.Then measured firing pin and protrusion.Still did it.Sold mine without ever firing it.One of the gun rags described the stocks as something a wino left on the sidewalk.

Alberta Bigbore 09-05-2013 07:44 AM

Lol.. thats alright. Always a lemon in everything. They cant all be bad, or they wouldnt have made so many of them over the years. Remington alone proves that point haha.

JohninAB 09-05-2013 08:06 AM

:sick:

Definitely not my cup of tea.

sevenmil 09-05-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2100730)
Just picked u a new to me Ruger MKII in .270 win.

Ive always wanted a Ruger with shiny stainless.. and this stock.. and one in mint.. but what sold me are the factory sights. I had never seen one with the irons before. Is this a particular model? Its in the mail on its way to me. It has 10 rounds fired.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1cecf152.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa63503d2.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2f347a0a.jpg

They used to offer sights as an option on many of their MK II models. Ruger used to offer a lot more options and models than they do now. Heck, they've just about eliminated all the nice options in their #1 rifle and have now discontinued the red label shotgun. I gave them heck for it a while back. They have been under new ownership ever since Bill Ruger passed, and they've let things slip as far as I'm concerned. I am glad you were able to find what you are looking for, and yes it looks mint! I am a fan of those stocks. Now you've gone and made me jealous!:)

aulrich 09-05-2013 08:51 AM

My 338wm version was not that pleasant to shoot until I had it ported, even my buddies 30-06 version was not all that fun. I did not like the mirror finish so I had it blasted with either soda or walnut shells so it's a nice flat grey.

It's beat up now, but talk about your reliable killer of game, I have though about selling it numerous times(too big, too loud), but just can't do it, it's too good at killing stuff.

Nester 09-05-2013 11:07 AM

Shiny!

Stinky Buffalo 09-05-2013 11:29 AM

Dang, that's a beauty!

Have the same sights on mine. I like 'em, but that's what I am used to as well.

Deo101 09-05-2013 12:16 PM

The Ruger website is really good about getting information. I punched in s/n off my 77 and got original manual for it. Found out it was built between 1975 and 1976. I just ordered a Boyds stock for it as someone put a horrible synthetic on it and it kicks, jumps like a mule. Hoping getting a quality stock will help. I do like boat paddle stock as far as looks go. Wonder about recoil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2101088)
Just wondering if it was a special model due to the open sights.

Thanks for the words.

Some rifles you hum and haw about...and some you jump out of your seat whiteknuckled yelling " ill take it!!!!"

Alberta Bigbore 09-06-2013 06:18 PM

It arrived.. omg is she pretty. .................

SkytopBrewster 09-06-2013 06:21 PM

Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather

If anyone wants I have one in .338WM going to sell, have the original stock and the Hogue stock. Bead blasted it to take the glare off it. $500. Think I have 100 or so rounds loaded for it as well & Ruger 30mm rings.

Deer Hunter 09-06-2013 06:32 PM

They look alot better than they are IMO. I'm a ruger fan but my boat paddle is my least favourite. Way too heavy and not comfortable. Not very bipod friendly either. But they make nice pics!