Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Keeping fish (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374819)

goggin 01-05-2020 11:29 AM

Keeping fish

Watching a programme on tv called, fishing the Wild West, is it normal practice when keeping a fish to just let it die instead of bonking it on the head

ShortsideK 01-06-2020 09:08 AM

I keep VERY few fish that I catch, but when I do, I kill them immediately.
It bothers me watching people letting fish suffocate. I consider it inhumane.

Parker Hale 01-06-2020 09:16 AM

Illegal to keep live fish in BC now. The connective tissue between the gills and the top end of the belly must be cut.

Pikebreath 01-06-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4086663)
Illegal to keep live fish in BC now. The connective tissue between the gills and the top end of the belly must be cut.

I suspect the idea behind that is to prevent culling. I would certainly support a similar regulation for Alberta.

Taking it one step further would be cessation of fishing for the day once a legal limit of fish for the waterbody has been retained.

CNP 01-06-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortsideK (Post 4086660)
I keep VERY few fish that I catch, but when I do, I kill them immediately.
It bothers me watching people letting fish suffocate. I consider it inhumane.

huh? Tel that to the commercial fisherman catching over a trillion fish every year.

You're argument has little value IMHO

CNP 01-06-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4086663)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikebreath (Post 4086684)
I suspect the idea behind that is to prevent culling. I would certainly support a similar regulation for Alberta.

Taking it one step further would be cessation of fishing for the day once a legal limit of fish for the waterbody has been retained.

British Columbia:
Quote:

It is unlawful to...Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait or release your aquarium fish to the wild. “High-grading” is illegal.
There is nothing in the regulation that states that connective tissue between the gills and top end of the belly must be cut.

Alberta: It is unlawful to...
Quote:

Possess live game fish – unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 5 metres of the waters from which they were caught.

Parker Hale 01-06-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4086710)
British Columbia:

There is nothing in the regulation that states that connective tissue between the gills and top end of the belly must be cut.

Alberta: It is unlawful to...

Cutting the connective tissue is what the CO's want to see, that way they can be 100% sure the fish will not live. At least this is what I got from a conversation with one last summer.

Smoky buck 01-06-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4086724)
Cutting the connective tissue is what the CO's want to see, that way they can be 100% sure the fish will not live. At least this is what I got from a conversation with one last summer.

The conservation officer was going by his personal preference not law or even common practice. Most in BC still bonk fish and only pop a gill to bleed out fish as a preference for meat

Some COs are on glue

kilgoretrout 01-16-2020 04:21 PM

Only keep brookies from the creeks and they get eaten for lunch that day...... a little tin-foil and butter in the coals along the stream