Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Allen Bill R.I.P. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=187287)

commieboy 08-05-2013 10:15 AM

Allen Bill R.I.P.

Don't know if this has been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmz-vO67PCs

Was there just a week before the flood hit and pulled out a couple of nice fish the likes of which I had never had from the place.

Need a new place for the niece and nephew now.

Jack&7 08-05-2013 10:34 AM

Wow!!!! We took the kids there to fish just after it was stocked in May. Haven't seen it since the floods as the road in was washed out. Not gonna lie....that is rather sad as it was a nice place to go for the day.

Not to mention what that is going to mean for other fishing holes as this place took some of the pressure off and gave the less scrupulous people a place to go fill their shopping bags full of trout.

Calgaryguy1977 08-05-2013 06:10 PM

I fished it the night the rain started....caught about 30 on the West end. A sad day indeed. I liked stopping there for some lazy afternoon fishing especially with my 3 year old. Really sad to see it gone.
A couple things I wonder though.....how will those stocked trout fare in the river and I also wonder how the elbow is fishing right there?

osedma 08-05-2013 08:54 PM

ohhh my....Is sad to see how the pond is gone :( BUT I'm glad to know that mother nature took away a pond for the many many many poachers that use to go and caught three times the legal limits. Poachers will need to find a new place to poach...where they will go now?

fishermansfriend 08-06-2013 10:18 AM

to bad that doesnt solve the problem with poachers they will just go else where which sucks...

Calgaryguy1977 08-06-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishermansfriend (Post 2066130)
to bad that doesnt solve the problem with poachers they will just go else where which sucks...

I have to agree.....ive seen more poaching there than anywhere else combined!

alacringa 08-06-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishermansfriend (Post 2066130)

Most of the reason that people poached there was because it was easy. In better-protected fisheries, the fish aren't as easy to catch, and they will quickly give up. I predict Mt. Lorette ponds (which are probably already pretty well poached -- I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they certainly were, then) as their next invasion site.

Calgaryguy1977 08-06-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alacringa (Post 2066670)
Most of the reason that people poached there was because it was easy. In better-protected fisheries, the fish aren't as easy to catch, and they will quickly give up. I predict Mt. Lorette ponds (which are probably already pretty well poached -- I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they certainly were, then) as their next invasion site.

Ya bro, that place gets invaded and conquered tha day after its stocked practically. The children and handicaps it's intended for rarely get a chance to catch a fish im betting.

695167002 08-06-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alacringa (Post 2066670)

Not sure when it was last stocked, but I was there yesterday, walked by all 3 pond, didn't see a single fish

gustuphson 08-08-2013 11:09 PM

Sad day

Allen Bill was a great place to take kids and I spent a lot of time there learning. It will be missed. I think it was the perfect spot for a put and take fishery, right across the road from thevranger station. I saw some tickets issued there for sure. I hope its resurected or a different easy access put and take fishery is created. Without those opportunities it will be harder to keep getting new anglers into the sport.