Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer Registration help (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=181160)

OutLawGentlemen 06-08-2013 08:19 PM

Trailer Registration help

5 Attachment(s)
Hey folks, new to these forums.

My mother in law gave me her holiday trailer for free so I recently converted a 1979 prowler trailer into a quad hauler.

I want to register it as a utility trailer. When i get my mother in law to fill out the bill of sale should she put it as a utility trailer ? ( the registry in my hometown is strict ) Will it show up on there computers as a travel trailer ? I don't want to pay some guy to come n inspect it .
I Posted photos of the build also. Please help

Fish along 06-08-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutLawGentlemen (Post 1996625)

My mother in law gave me her holiday trailer for free so I recently converted a 1979 prowler trailer into a quad hauler.

I want to register it as a utility trailer. When i get my mother in law to fill out the bill of sale should she put it as a utility trailer ? ( the registry in my hometown is strict ) Will it show up on there computers as a travel trailer ? I don't want to pay some guy to come n inspect it .

When you go to the registry tell em it's a u built ,which means,that it's hand made , that's all the need to know, and they will give you the plates .

Fish along 06-08-2013 08:42 PM

That's a good idea you got there, I'll be looking seriously at the old junk trailers from now on.

buckmaster 06-08-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Excellent job on your trailer! The most important thing is the serial# to get it registered.

buckmaster 06-08-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1996651)
When you go to the registry tell em it's a u built ,which means,that it's hand made , that's all the need to know, and they will give you the plates .

All homemade trailers have to be inspected and registered with a stamed serial #.

Fish along 06-08-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmaster (Post 1996664)
All homemade trailers have to be inspected and registered with a stamed serial #.

That's funny cause I just got my plates for one,said it was a u built, no questions asked, and I've done I several times before no problem

OutLawGentlemen 06-08-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1996655)
That's a good idea you got there, I'll be looking seriously at the old junk trailers from now on.

Thanks everyone, i kept it under 1000$

the trailer has a seriel # but its for a 1979 prowler, i kept the frame and seriel numbers its just not a travel trailer, its a quad hauler. how do i go about registering it so its not a travel trailer lol

leeaspell 06-08-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1996673)
That's funny cause I just got my plates for one,said it was a u built, no questions asked, and I've done I several times before no problem

That is funny, because I tried that last year, no deal. Had to get a serial number stamped on it.

CanuckShooter 06-08-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1996673)

Same thing here in BC, Ubuilt they just give you a plate, no inspections required.

TRAPPER92 06-08-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaspell (Post 1996684)
That is funny, because I tried that last year, no deal. Had to get a serial number stamped on it.

I guess it depends on where you go to get registered because all you got to tell them is its home built and give them the serial number of the old trailer and your good to go!
Done this before but I have also built my own trailer - made one mistake, I put two 7000lbs axles under it and now its considered commercial or something and the inspection is going to 400$!

leeaspell 06-08-2013 10:17 PM

Yes, if it all ready has a serial number then you are good to go. If it doesn't then you have to get a dude to come look it over and put one on. Cost $90. It's not a safety inspection or anything

npbra 06-08-2013 10:21 PM

Register it as the Prowler and be done with it. Who really cares as long as it has a plate. Have you ever had a cop pull you over and inspect the plate on a trailer? In my 40 years of pulling trailers, never happened.

Fish along 06-08-2013 10:23 PM

Tell em there's no serial number on it , it's a u built .

AppleJax 06-08-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1996763)
Tell em there's no serial number on it , it's a u built .

That doesn't work. You used to be able to do that but that has changed in recent years. As some people have stated, you would have to get someone to come look at it and issue a serial number. Fact

AppleJax 06-08-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmaster (Post 1996664)

Yup

mach123 06-08-2013 10:37 PM

X3 on guy to look at it and get new vin I have never got a plate just as a u built.....

cccan 06-08-2013 10:46 PM

it already has a serial #....it is a customized Prowler..that is all any one needs to know.

Sushi 06-08-2013 10:57 PM

It looks good. Nice work. Are u going to put some fenders on?

AppleJax 06-08-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi (Post 1996810)
It looks good. Nice work. Are going to put some fenders on?

I didn't notice that good point. I think by law you are required to have fenders...

Ryanvk 06-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleJax (Post 1996814)
I didn't notice that good point. I think by law you are required to have fenders...

Correct you are required by Alberta traffic safety act to have fenders:

Mudguards
64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.
(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and
(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or
(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:
(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than, or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a bus;
(b) a bus;
(c) a trailer.
(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.
(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed and constructed for drive-on and drive-off low loads.

colin455 06-08-2013 11:37 PM

Yep. It needs a serial number. No more home mades-no serial anymore. Just went through it. Fellow comes by, inspects it and stamps a number in it. DMV won't register until you get the certification paper from him.
$105 for single axel, $490(?) ish for 2+ axle.

OutLawGentlemen 06-08-2013 11:51 PM

Hey everyone thanks for your inputs. Ill just go in & tell them how it is!!! Yes the trailer has fenders! I kept the trailer under 1000$ that includes angle iron, pressure treated wood, sand blasting, painting, led tail lights. Tongue tool box. Did everything my self. 23 yr old farm boy

deanmc 06-08-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npbra (Post 1996759)
Register it as the Prowler and be done with it. Who really cares as long as it has a plate. Have you ever had a cop pull you over and inspect the plate on a trailer? In my 40 years of pulling trailers, never happened.

Probably would work unless you were in an accident. Then you could be in serious trouble.

Penner 06-09-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckShooter (Post 1996735)
Ubuilt they just give you a plate, no inspections required.

Makes me feel real safe being out on the roads. Goes to show you how arsebackwards our government is. Would these not be the very contraptions that should be inspected? How the heck does being a hobby welder (or equivalent) qualify someone to be knowledgeable enough to build a safe product to be dragged down a highway at +100km with a load on top? Just blows my mind.

a little redneck 06-09-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Great job... thanks for posting.

zero_eight 06-09-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin455 (Post 1996831)
Yep. It needs a serial number. No more home mades-no serial anymore. Just went through it. Fellow comes by, inspects it and stamps a number in it. DMV won't register until you get the certification paper from him.

What did he look at when he inspected it? I am thinking of building a little trailer.

leeaspell 06-09-2013 01:53 PM

He basiclly just looks to make sure the trailer exists and there are no other serial numbers on. That is is for a single axle. It isn't a safety inspection. Here is a link for you

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2825.htm

deanmc 06-09-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin455 (Post 1996831)

That is what I was told as well. The reason that was explained to me is that too many home built trailers have been abandoned, broke down, along the edge of the roads with the plate gone.

e40water12 06-09-2013 02:12 PM

RE

Awesome job on the Deck trailer ;)

anything_9 06-09-2013 02:12 PM

We just built one out of a travel trailer. When we went to the registry they just changed the trailer vin to utitity trailer in their computer