Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Info on Defender Style ShotGuns (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=85848)

sheepguide 03-15-2011 11:36 AM

Info on Defender Style ShotGuns

Looking at getting a Small 12ga. shot gun to pack this summer when backpacking with the family. Normaly dont worry about it but think it would be best to have something as we have alot of trips planned from Alberta to the Yukon.

Anyways just was wondering who makes the best in this style of gun and if anyone has any suggestions on models to look at.

Also if anyone has one for sale let me know.

SG

Ryry4 03-15-2011 11:47 AM

I've got a Remington 870. Can't got wrong with that shotgun.

Albertadiver 03-15-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryry4 (Post 868691)
I've got a Remington 870. Can't got wrong with that shotgun.

The 870 is the bread and butter for that size. I have a Noricno HP9 with 14" Barrell (unrestricted) that is basically an 870 knock-off. It's a fun little gun to shoot.

Sledhead71 03-15-2011 11:54 AM

Remington came out with the short barrel 870 a few years back, 14 inch if I remember correctly... About 350 is what I paid new two years ago...

Albertadiver 03-15-2011 11:57 AM

There's also the Mossberg JIC's.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...8&display=feat

Rockymtnx 03-15-2011 12:28 PM

I too have a 870 with a 18" barrel just for this purpose. Besides for bears, it is also a great gun for grouse too.

sheepguide 03-15-2011 12:34 PM

Thanks guys.

BigJon 03-15-2011 12:36 PM

can't go wrong with an 870....make your way over to cgn....lots for sale there, although many of them have had "ultra cool" tactical accessories added to them.

rugatika 03-15-2011 01:12 PM

I've got an 870 with a folding stock on it...I'm not a huge fan of the folding stock really, but it fits better in a quad box or backpack.

I always wanted a winchester 1300 defender with the corncob forearm. I personally like the action of a 1300 better than the 870 express. Just seems a little smoother to me, although maybe I just haven't shot the 870 enough to get her smoothed out.

jim-bo 03-15-2011 03:39 PM

The Winchester SXP defenders have been reasonably priced from what I have seen ($350ish), and I have a mossberg 590 with absolutely no complaints.

Twisted Canuck 03-15-2011 03:46 PM

I've got a Maverick (Mossberg) 88, it is a reliable but cheaply built gun. It always goes boom, but the action is for crap....maybe after I cycle another 500 rds through it it will be better. Another much better alternative is the Browning BPS stalker, I picked one up from Clay at Prophet River for a smoking deal, the quality is 1000x better than the mossberg, and much much nicer than my 870 as well. It has the full stock, 20" barrel on it, but wouldn't take much to put a pistol grip on I think. I guess it depends on what you want to spend, and what quality you're willing to bet your well being on. Don't get me wrong, I trust the Maverick to work, it's just got this deep down junky feel to it that annoys me. Cycling the BPS, 870, and 88 side by side is and eye opener.

TC

Albertadiver 03-15-2011 04:20 PM

Here's mine. It's nothing fancy, but it's a good 'bush' gun. I'll be taking it on our may long backpacking trip.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_4800.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_4801.jpg

300-510 03-15-2011 08:17 PM

Im rolling mossberg 500 and the persuader,I like the persuader better,meets mil-spec around 400.00. Has anyone come across federal tru ball deep penetrators,supposed to get 18-24in. penetration with smoothbore.

roger 03-15-2011 08:25 PM

im running a 870 home defence,with pistol grip. teflon coated. all factory.

i had a winch defender. but 8 shots really heavyed it up
the HD has 5 shots, it balances nicer. if 5 dont do it 8 wont either.
i use mine for crow shooting on the wing and shoot it one handed for practice.
but not to many times in a row.
pm sent

koschm 03-15-2011 11:28 PM

Rem 870

I went with the Remington express combo package. It comes with a 20" barrel that has rifle type sights. I also use the Knoxx folding stock that has the recoil reduction in the handle. The stock works as advertised.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Spe...k,1156,165.htm

Rocks 03-16-2011 12:14 AM

I've got a winchester defender I've had for probably 25 years and I like it, never had any problems with it at all. Have a pistol grip for it which really shortens it up (fits easily in a duffel for packing on horses or in a backpack), but I prefer shooting it with the regular stock on it.

GREENGUN 03-16-2011 12:37 AM

I'm buying the 2011 mossberg 500 tactical. it has an adjustable stock so my girlfriend can use it more easily if the situation calls for it. everyone around the gun needs to know how to use it because what if you are incompasitated? it provides great value, weight and useability which i think is important. ~$500

Lonnie 03-16-2011 03:08 AM

not a fan of short shot guns but I do understand that they do have thier place if your buying new get one that you can put a long barrel on if you want and that would make it a bit more usefull.

Albertadiver 03-16-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnie (Post 869633)
not a fan of short shot guns but I do understand that they do have thier place if your buying new get one that you can put a long barrel on if you want and that would make it a bit more usefull.

That's what mine does. I can put any 870 Barrell on it.

S-in-Cochrane 03-16-2011 09:43 AM

Not a shotgun but,

There is a Rossi Ranch Hand Mare's Leg, OAL just barely meets non restricted, it is available in Canada or will be soon (saw this on CGN) and is around $600.

Comes in 45 LC and some others too.

__
S

Turtlewolf 03-16-2011 09:57 AM

I've got both a Remington 870 with a 20" rifle sighted smooth bore barrel and a Maverick 88 with 18" barrel that I put a top folding stock on just for this purpose, I love the 870's but the lightwieght Maverick makes a ton of difference on a long hike. I also like side by side shotguns for camp defence but haven't had one for a few years and they are heavier than the Model 88. If you're spending a lot of time hiking, consider the wieght.
Cheers

Young Eldon 03-16-2011 10:09 AM

Packing shotgun

I have used a Remington 870 with a folding stock for all my bear work. Double rails make it very reliable. Just practice to avoid "short strokes" - similar to having sex!
If I was to look at another shotty for packing trips, it would be Dominion Arms Grizzly (may want some polishing and tuning) with the shortest barrel and folding stock that is legal here in Canada. If I had to choose between a shorter barrel or the folding stock, I may go for the solid stock since I find it more positive to hit the target with a stock than a pistol grip. You can also get Grizzlies with a clip magazine which is handier to load and unload but probably harder to carry in a scabbard?
Don't leave the Bear Spray at home - whatever gun you pack!
:)

sheepguide 03-16-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnie (Post 869633)

Its gunna be strickly for back packing. So no need for a longer barrel.

I have a brand new shotgun for bird hunting and shooting clays so this gun wont see any of that.
SG

caver77 03-16-2011 11:05 AM

I run a winchester defender with a folding stock. So easy to pack and have handy. My choice because it's gotta be handy to be of any use, if something actually starts running you down, you have seconds in tree/bush country if your lucky. Find when really hiking and packing a full stock can be awfully annoying and target acquiration is way slower, but when I'm hiking I am usually trying to put on miles. A slower more liesurely pace with a family and a little more versatile 870 might fit the bill better for you. Best idea is to get one of each as always :) . Equip your family with at least one bear/pepper spray as well.

reelhooker 03-16-2011 04:35 PM

It aint a shotty- although I have a maverick and 6 different 870's. I pack my xlr in 45/70 and feel safe as can be. It's a little long but a nice gun for bear if you dont mind the weight- but after you buy it your wallet is lighter so it all balances out.
RH

Turtlewolf 03-16-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reelhooker (Post 870301)
It aint a shotty- although I have a maverick and 6 different 870's. I pack my xlr in 45/70 and feel safe as can be. It's a little long but a nice gun for bear if you dont mind the weight- but after you buy it your wallet is lighter so it all balances out.
RH

Actualy a .45/70 Guide Gun or similar isn't a bad idea, I love my shotgun and vs black bear or cougar I have no doubt that a one ounce slug or 00 buckshot will stop then pretty well (based on my own personal experiences), however with the brown bear starting to come back to some of it's old turf I have actualy considered sidelining my much loved shotguns for a .45/70 Guide Gun. With the proper bullet the .458 slug penetrates very well where my one ounce HP slug can not be depended on to penetrate very heavy bone or muscle even if I have had them penetrate and exit on broadsides on good size deer, they are very soft and expand pretty well as they were designed to do.
Cheers

Mxyzptik 03-16-2011 08:16 PM

I've got the Mossberg 500 , it came with a regular stock and a pistol grip. I bought a back pack style holster for it and the pistol grip sits just behind your head. You can reach over your shoulder and grab it and in one swift move it's ready.

CNP 03-16-2011 08:48 PM

I have one of these....Fabarm Martial Composite 14" bbl. The Firing Line stocks them...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b.../martial14.jpg

borchy 03-16-2011 09:11 PM

I have a remington 870 18 inch barrell I take fishing in the mountains. love it

fordtruckin 03-16-2011 10:45 PM

you won't go wrong with a Remington 870, Winchester Defender 1200 or a Mossburg 500. Having had all three at one time or another, honestly the winchester and remington were the only 2 i'd stick with. Personally I just found the Mossburg a bit cumbersom. Now I only have an 870 and can't complain. still does what it was designed to and ain't much of a burden on my back. The only thing I wish i could change is put a pistol grip. Just haven't got around to it.