Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fresh Bread (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353141)

happy honker 10-17-2018 11:05 AM

Fresh Bread

I know this is a no-brainer to most, but it's something I've overlooked for years and recently re-discovered.

We started buying our bread as unsliced loaves and slicing them as we need it.

Let me explain this concept for those whove never heard of this or can't picture the concept.

You have a whole unsliced loaf of bread, and if you want to make a sandwich...you get out a good bread knife and slice off 2 slices for that sandwich, put the end piece back on and put the loaf back in the bag.

It's like fresh bread every day, it lasts way longer, tastes better, fresher texture and even smells way better.

For those that don't understand, I'm designing an app explaining how to do this. I'm thinking 1.99 for ios and 12.78 for Android.

Such a simple thing that makes such a difference to the quality of something so simple as a sandwich. I feel like a sucker buying sliced bread all these years that was practically stale by the time we got halfway through a loaf.

Next step is getting back to baking our own.

urban rednek 10-17-2018 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, will this be the next best thing since sliced bread?

happy honker 10-17-2018 01:16 PM

That's the thing....it's even BETTER than sliced bread...it's UN-sliced bread...I'll send you a link for the how-to app when it's ready.

CaberTosser 10-17-2018 01:28 PM

The fresh bread that comes out of our oven isn't sliced, I'll have to ask my wife why that's the case :thinking-006:

1899b 10-17-2018 01:34 PM

Bread is junk. Wouldnt "waist" an extra second thinking about it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...pskt17b6rm.jpg

Rastus 10-17-2018 01:53 PM

I can help you with that. I have 5 bread makers and make 10 loaves of bread at a time.

Twisted Canuck 10-17-2018 02:14 PM

Yeah, I love fresh bread...and pasta...and everything made with wheat. But when I quit eating it, I lose weight, lots of it, pretty much effortlessly. And I feel a lot better. But I sure do miss it....but I feel better.

urban rednek 10-17-2018 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This app of yours sounds promising, provided enough people can follow it and not hurt themselves. :thinking-006: Better have a good insurance policy in place.
But, how will measure up over time?

1899b 10-17-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3856935)
Yeah, I love fresh bread...and pasta...and everything made with wheat. But when I quit eating it, I lose weight, lots of it, pretty much effortlessly. And I feel a lot better. But I sure do miss it....but I feel better.

Everything you mentioned leads to inflammation like no other. Some are more sensitive than others however.

Twisted Canuck 10-17-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 3856966)
Everything you mentioned leads to inflammation like no other. Some are more sensitive than others however.

Yeah, I've got friends and relatives who are celiac, they are seriously intolerant and get really ill from wheat. I didn't think it bothered me much, other than weight gain, but noticed that since I quit I can eat as much garlic as I like again. The 4 or 5 years prior to quitting, I started having issues with garlic to the point where I quit eating it (like, tasting and burping it for hours and hours after having a ceasar salad). Now, those issues are gone which leads me to suspect wheat was causing me to have 'leaky gut'....I'd never heard of it, but from my reading this is what I suspect.

Anyway, bread tastes good, and it affects the same brain centers as heroin I'm pretty sure. But I'm better off without it.

Grizzly Adams 10-17-2018 05:39 PM

I buy Wonder Bread. Comes pre sliced and will outlast the pyramids. :lol: Sometimes, I do wonder why ? :D

MOUNTAIN MICKEY 10-17-2018 06:33 PM

I have been making my own bread from scratch for about 30 years now. Hard not to down about a third of a loaf after its out of the oven for a short 10 minutes. Made a few loaves on my wood stove with an experimental brick oven--worked pretty good most times. Had to cut back this summer but back at it again for the most part. Normally just make white but do experiment sometimes. Nice to slice about an inch plus thick. lots of butter, some times peanut butter--all well its still hot of course. Some times just break chunks off--no slicing. If I knew what an app did I might make one too.

mediumrare 10-17-2018 06:55 PM

Made some corn bread tonight.thats good stuff when it's hot too

sewerrat 10-17-2018 06:55 PM

We buy our bread at Cobs bread, it is a bit more pricey than your Wonder bread or all the other Factory breads that never go mouldy, The “ lekker brood” from Cobs is the best. The only bad thing is it goes green and mouldy after 3 or 4 days.

antlercarver 10-17-2018 08:24 PM

Bread is made from wheat

A bit off topic.
When we raise chickens and feed oat-barley mix we get meaty chickens, when we feed wheat we get chickens with lots of fat.

RandyBoBandy 10-17-2018 08:36 PM

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/soft-keto-seed-bread

This my go to FRESH bread !! Outstanding :)

josey 10-18-2018 07:11 AM

I just started sourdough on Sunday. I can't wait to be able to use it and make everything sourdough again. I love spelt and oat flour so that's what I am going to first. Well, apart from pizza with the discarded starter.
I wish I had one of these outdoor wood fired ovens...