Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cocked or uncocked bolt storage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312533)

JWCalgary 01-15-2017 01:01 PM

Cocked or uncocked bolt storage

In my brain I would think that for storage one should store the bolt of your rifle in the fired position to relieve the pressure from the firing pin. How do you store your bolt cocked or uncocked? I would have to manually decock my rifles to store this way and am wondering if I should do this season to season. Day to day. Your thoughts are appreciated

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

catnthehat 01-15-2017 01:02 PM

All my rifles are stored uncocked
Cat

JWCalgary 01-15-2017 01:03 PM

I just noticed the topic header spelling. ... Sorry for the misspell. Meant to say cocked or uncocked

Pathfinder76 01-15-2017 01:04 PM

Uncocked. Always.

JWCalgary 01-15-2017 01:04 PM

Thanks cat. I will do that as well.

Battle Rat 01-15-2017 04:35 PM

A spring does not get weak from being kept compressed but from cycling.
The amount of cycles that a gun spring goes through is relatively small compared to, say a car spring.
No harm in un-cocking but you wouldn't cause any harm by leaving it cocked either.

catnthehat 01-15-2017 04:51 PM

I don't store mine cocked because of safety procedure , nothing to do with springs
Cat

DanOO 01-15-2017 05:47 PM

I highly recommend that firing pin springs be stored with the least amount of compression on them as you can get.
If you can accurately measure spring pressure you will find over time (years) that springs will loose lbs of resistance. Maybe not enough to cause misfires.
I have change out springs that have been compressed or shortened by as much as 3/16" in a two year time frame.
I believe you will find that most steels used in the firearms industry will take a set if left in a bent or compressed state.

6.5x47 lapua 01-16-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Rat (Post 3444004)
A spring does not get weak from being kept compressed but from cycling.
The amount of cycles that a gun spring goes through is relatively small compared to, say a car spring.
No harm in un-cocking but you wouldn't cause any harm by leaving it cocked either.

this. it is well documented that it is exactly this.

Pathfinder76 01-16-2017 10:11 AM

So what was the upside of storing them compressed or cocked again?

fish_e_o 01-16-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3444617)
So what was the upside of storing them compressed or cocked again?

sometimes you're not in an area where it is acceptable to pull the trigger on a rifle.

myself, i don't like pulling the trigger on a rifle unless it's a place and direction where it's safe to shoot. sometimes people get too complacent with firearms safety.

Jeron Kahyar 01-16-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3444014)
I don't store mine cocked because of safety procedure , nothing to do with springs
Cat

Care to elaborate on this one? How is uncocking make it safer?

Just curios as the the reasoning behind it. If I'm overlooking something perhaps it is time I change my storage habits.

catnthehat 01-16-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar (Post 3444635)
Care to elaborate on this one? How is uncocking make it safer?

Just curios as the the reasoning behind it. If I'm overlooking something perhaps it is time I change my storage habits.

I said " safety procedure" notbthat it makes the gun safer.
That is, if the firearm is not being shot it is open or at the very least uncocked .
Most bolt actions can visibly be seen as cocked or uncocked as can hammer guns
If the firearm is cocjed it normally has a round in it.
This is the reason many disciplines require open actions when not actually being shot , some require chamber flags, etc.
Cat

bat119 01-16-2017 10:46 AM

I store mine bolts, mags out -- stored separately
slides and cylinders out-- stored separately
Hammers down
I'm uncocked as possible

Jeron Kahyar 01-16-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3444650)
I said " safety procedure" notbthat it makes the gun safer.

*Snip*

Cat

Ahhh makes sense. Guess all I really need is a reading comprehension lesson.

Pathfinder76 01-16-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 3444633)
sometimes you're not in an area where it is acceptable to pull the trigger on a rifle.

myself, i don't like pulling the trigger on a rifle unless it's a place and direction where it's safe to shoot. sometimes people get too complacent with firearms safety.

So just in case there is a live round in the chamber you leave the rifle cocked. Super.

catnthehat 01-16-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3444658)
I store mine bolts, mags out -- stored separately
slides and cylinders out-- stored separately
Hammers down
I'm uncocked as possible

Do you de- cock your bolts when you take them out?
Cat

fish_e_o 01-16-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3444768)
So just in case there is a live round in the chamber you leave the rifle cocked. Super.

if you can't shoot where your rifle is pointed when you want to decock your rifle don't touch the trigger. if my spring fatigues because of this then i'll replace it.

i know of a guy that put a bullet through his friends truck because he was decocking his "unloaded" rifle. way safer :thinking-006:

Pathfinder76 01-16-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 3444821)
if you can't shoot where your rifle is pointed when you want to decock your rifle don't touch the trigger. if my spring fatigues because of this then i'll replace it.

i know of a guy that put a bullet through his friends truck because he was decocking his "unloaded" rifle. way safer :thinking-006:

So what do you do with this loaded cocked rifle? I'm pretty darn certain I'm safer looking at the magazine and chamber and then pulling the trigger. There is always dirt to point a muzzle at.

fish_e_o 01-16-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3444847)
There is always dirt to point a muzzle at.

i don't have any dirt in my house

TrollGRG 01-16-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWCalgary (Post 3443829)
I just noticed the topic header spelling. ... Sorry for the misspell. Meant to say cocked or uncocked

So change it.

bat119 01-16-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3444774)
Do you de- cock your bolts when you take them out?
Cat

Now that you mention it they are cocked, I've heard both sides of this for years I have a couple that have been stored cocked for 40 years they still work.

The next argument will be does the spring in a magazine get weak if left loaded ?

JWCalgary 01-16-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrollGRG (Post 3444978)
So change it.

[emoji122]

catnthehat 01-16-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3444982)
Now that you mention it they are cocked, I've heard both sides of this for years I have a couple that have been stored cocked for 40 years they still work.

The next argument will be does the spring in a magazine get weak if left loaded ?

I know those Remington pump and semi mags sure can get messed up on if they are left loaded.
Cat

Pathfinder76 01-16-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 3444856)
i don't have any dirt in my house

Why are you loading rifles in your house?

bat119 01-16-2017 05:18 PM

I asked an engineer once about this his answer was cycling the spring will cause failure before leaving it compressed will. The majority of springs in use in valves, switch's, PSV's are under tension in normal operation. I have read that some pistol magazines and shotgun will lose tension if stored loaded. I know on my uncles farm he had mags beside the back door 24/7 loaded for the M1 carbine and the Lee Enfield they both were always working.

Twisted Canuck 01-16-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3443832)
Uncocked. Always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3444014)
Cat

Another entertaining thread. :)

Yes, I store mine decocked. Not worried about springs, but why leave a firearm cocked, simple enough to decock them, for simple safety procedure as Cat pointed out. Anyone who fires a live round while decocking his firearm maybe needs to learn to check his firearm properly, magazine and chamber....or should take up a different hobby.

fish_e_o 01-16-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3445016)
Why are you loading rifles in your house?

Who says it was loaded? You're really not picking this up are you? It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not don't pull the trigger if it's not safe to shoot.

Pathfinder76 01-16-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 3445053)
Who says it was loaded? You're really not picking this up are you? It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not don't pull the trigger if it's not safe to shoot.

You need a new hobby.

JWCalgary 01-16-2017 06:00 PM

The real question was related to *bolt* storage in the cocked or uncocked position. My bolt actions allow me to close the bolt while depressing the trigger, putting the rifle (bolt in) in a decocked position. But the bolt has to stay in the rifle while being stored. I typically pull the bolts for added security in the house and the only way to uncock the bolts are to manually decock them. Was just wondering how others do it.

Interesting that the cycling of the action would cause more spring wear.