Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CWD ...Still waiting for results (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357115)

Springer 01-03-2019 09:15 AM

CWD ...Still waiting for results

Im looking for some info on my CWD results. We took two deer from 163 and i took one in 220 and did a voluntary submission.
Our heads were dropped off at a freezer in town at the beginning of December.
We would really like to start consuming some of our venison but to be on the safe side its still in the freezer.
I looked for a contact number to call and inquire but cannot find one. I know their supposed to E-mail us so still waiting on that.
Anyone else waiting on their results?

Rackmastr 01-03-2019 09:31 AM

Yep. Nov 17th in a mandatory zone, so guessing it should be close?

buckbrush 01-03-2019 09:34 AM

Waiting on 2. One turned in End of Nov other begining of Dec.

Dick284 01-03-2019 09:42 AM

My son took a deer at Wainwright Dec 5th, the biologist there said don’t expect results till sometime in March.

bowhunter9841 01-03-2019 11:15 AM

November 26th, I dropped my head in the freezer at Cabelas South store in Edmonton, haven’t heard anything yet! I think they need to hire some more staff, especially if they keep opening up more mandatory submission zones.

ghostguy6 01-03-2019 11:31 AM

Buddy dropped off two heads Nov 3rd and is still waiting. Starting to think the meat has a greater danger of being lost to freezer burn than to CWD.....

fingershooter 01-03-2019 11:35 AM

took 6 weeks for my results and I sent mine in early in Nov. - before they got too busy, I assume. I phoned and when they returned my call the lady didn't sound too pleased. I guess they have lots to do and not enough people.

Dean2 01-03-2019 12:01 PM

My opinion, they should provide a fee based fast turn around service. That way guys in a hurry that are willing to pay can help offset the cost of more staff and that would free up the other staff as well. That aside, I think we should be able to expect 60 day turn around, even without a fee based service. You guys that are waiting more than 60 days should be phoning and talking to your MLA, followed by an email confirming it so it is on record. We pay enough in license fees that they can at least provide a reasonable response time.

hal53 01-03-2019 12:50 PM

Does anyone know if they use their regular staff for this testing?..or farm some out?, like hiring U of A Biology students for evenings and weekends or something?, just wondering. 2+ months waiting is a little long it seems and yet there are certain skills required in the procedure I would assume that would require some knowledge

MooseRiverTrapper 01-03-2019 02:20 PM

What are you worried about? Eat up boys

bowhunter9841 01-03-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper (Post 3904404)
What are you worried about? Eat up boys

This......https://youtu.be/E3s6p2UP57Q

bowhunter9841 01-03-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3904338)
My opinion, they should provide a fee based fast turn around service. That way guys in a hurry that are willing to pay can help offset the cost of more staff and that would free up the other staff as well. That aside, I think we should be able to expect 60 day turn around, even without a fee based service. You guys that are waiting more than 60 days should be phoning and talking to your MLA, followed by an email confirming it so it is on record. We pay enough in license fees that they can at least provide a reasonable response time.

I don’t really think we need to pay more to have it done sooner! With the amount of money made on red light and speeding tickets, I’m sure that there is more than enough money for the province to pay some temporary staff to get the testing process done quicker!

MooseRiverTrapper 01-03-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 (Post 3904414)

Joe stoned again? What’s he say? Proof humans can contract?

Couleestalker 01-03-2019 03:47 PM

I brought mine to the F&W office freezer in Brooks November 7. Still nothing.

Phil 01-03-2019 04:30 PM

CWD tetsing

When I handed in my deer heads at Wainwright in the primitive weapons season the biologist advised it would probably be March before I received the results.

Phil

Dewey Cox 01-03-2019 04:36 PM

How many people would pay to have a private company test their deer heads if that was an option?

fitzy17 01-03-2019 05:04 PM

still waiting as well. Dropped off in vermilion. anyone else drop their heads there still waiting?

hal53 01-03-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 (Post 3904415)
I don’t really think we need to pay more to have it done sooner! With the amount of money made on red light and speeding tickets, I’m sure that there is more than enough money for the province to pay some temporary staff to get the testing process done quicker!

That was my point, where do you find "temporary staff" for this kind of work?

greywolf 01-03-2019 05:42 PM

Phil,
not sure who to call, but dropped off our last mule deer on November 19th at the Sportsman Den, just got the results emailed back today, negative.

shedcrazy 01-03-2019 06:26 PM

The Wainwright heads would not even be started yet. They are at the bottom of the pile (never even left Wx until after the hunt) and I would imagine any that are dropped off in Dec after the season are in the same pile. I would expect at least 8+ weeks. Keep in mind a Xmas break as well.

I think people have to remember it a disease surveillance problem and not a human health program or AHS would be running it. CWD wildlife staff first priority isn't to speed testing up for hunters waiting to do something with their meat.

If people want change pressure AHS as personal i don't want to see more of the limited FW budget go to speeding up CWD testing instead of wildlife management. I am in no rush to eat some old mule buck ;)

marky_mark 01-03-2019 10:41 PM

Found this tonight
Very interesting read

https://www.facebook.com/19102304091...7551684933503/

Springer 01-04-2019 07:39 AM

Another BC friend Hunted near Forestburg and dropped off their heads at a drop station there at the end of November. His results were back in 3 weeks and his Muley Buck tested Positive.
He went through the whole process of deboning etc and took it home processed it and put it in the freezer....
The BC CO's were notified and come and confiscated/ took and disposed of it even though no spinal cord etc came across the border.

I wish there was an inquiry phone number as to the status of our animals.

Mateo 01-04-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal53 (Post 3904359)
Does anyone know if they use their regular staff for this testing?..or farm some out?, like hiring U of A Biology students for evenings and weekends or something?, just wondering. 2+ months waiting is a little long it seems and yet there are certain skills required in the procedure I would assume that would require some knowledge

They do hire temporary staff. By girlfriends brother was one of these hires. His job was to extract the samples to be taken to the lab. What I found interesting is that they dont just test deer. They are looking for it in any suspicious animal. That and any other disease it might have been. I submitted my mule deer doe from 163. Came back positive. They phoned me. A buddy i was hunting with and was also succcessful also submitted a head on the same day/place. He hasn’t heard back yet. I imagine they call as many of the positive results first.

ghostguy6 01-04-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal53 (Post 3904359)

My understanding is the majority of the process could be done by anyone, even the general laborers from staffing agencies. The person checking the microscope slides is the only person who needs some special degree.

Phil 01-04-2019 12:38 PM

Cwd

What I have previously been advised by the former gentleman in charge of the CWD program was the heads are tested and if it is negative an email is sent. If the initial test is non-negative the sample is then sent to the CFIA in Ottawa for final confirmation. If it is confirmed positive you then receive a phone call.

This was 2017's procedure. It may have changed for 2018.

Phil

Springer 01-05-2019 08:07 AM

Great info Ya'all Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

johnnyringo 01-12-2019 12:26 AM

took a while but mine was positive

Shot & submitted early Nov (152) just got the call it's positive Jan 3. My second Mulie buck in the area. Buddys was positive too...both looked healthy.

bowhunter9841 01-12-2019 07:50 PM

Really hoping I will hear back soon! I wonder if they test all the heads submitted in mandatory wmu’s first, then go ahead with testing the voluntarily submitted heads??

Lefty-Canuck 01-14-2019 10:11 AM

Just got the call...last year’s mule deer was positive again.

Anyone want the meat? I am not eating it. Cut and wrapped and roasts all tied up nicely.

LC

walking buffalo 01-14-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3911234)
Just got the call...last year’s mule deer was positive again.

Anyone want the meat? I am not eating it. Cut and wrapped and roasts all tied up nicely.

LC

Sorry to hear the results are positive.

Offering to give away CWD positive meat, for any use, is a new one to me. :scared0015: