Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coyotes ready? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353165)

trigger7mm 10-17-2018 05:41 PM

Coyotes ready?

When do you think the coyotes are going to be ready to be picked? Are they starting to fur up yet. I’m thinking g maybe next week, but not sure?

goose slayer10 10-17-2018 06:21 PM

I was worried a thread like this might pop up. I'm trying to wait...now you've got me excited.

6tmile 10-17-2018 06:33 PM

In the area I snare it is usually last week in November first week of December when skin is completely white. Anything earlier and still blue. I'm an hour west of Edmonton.

spoiledsaskhunter 10-17-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6tmile (Post 3857060)
In the area I snare it is usually last week in November first week of December when skin is completely white. Anything earlier and still blue. I'm an hour west of Edmonton.

Yup.....this is too early

bucksnbears 10-17-2018 07:54 PM

For the last 10 years or so, I've headed to the havre mt area round Oct 20 the for the first coyote hunting.
Pups will generally be blue leather but still bring good money.
Adults are usually decent.

Rod in the sticks 10-17-2018 10:47 PM

Buddy of mine just shot one this morning and I took the hide off, still need to flesh it but looking really dark... I'll post a pic when it's on the board.

MugEye 10-17-2018 11:15 PM

I got 2 yotes this week with my 4 dirt hole sets . Too early for good hides . Just trapping the ones in my sheep pastures for now

HunterDave 10-17-2018 11:25 PM

Around here coyotes prime right around November 15 just like clockwork. Last year they were a week or so late for some reason.

I know of one fella that doesn’t mind Snaring October coyotes if that’s what you want to do. For me, i’d Sooner wait a couple/few weeks when that same $50 coyote is worth twice that amount or more but to each their own.

I’ll be waiting until about November 9 or so, same as previous years, but only in one location, a dead pit, that has lots of coyotes all season long. I’ll hang snares there and pre-bait several other locations. Once they are nearing prime, November 15, I’ll hang snares at the pre-baited sites on the trails that they’ve made.

Whatever your strategy I wish everyone a great season!

wolfcrazy 10-18-2018 10:15 PM

A buddy of mine picked up a coyote and I skinned it. It was a little flat but the leather wasn’t as bad as I’ve seen this time of year before. Going to put out a few sets next weekend to see.

H380 10-19-2018 07:06 AM

Too early my friends .. I shot a couple a week ago to appease my father who thinks that the only good coyote is a dead coyote .:argue2: One had a bad case of mange but the other looked decent . After skinning the good one was still blue as the stormy sky even the tho fur was not bad . Definitely not the $100+ coyote that he would have been in 3 weeks or so . :shark: Best to wait

Justfishin73 10-19-2018 09:25 AM

Well, cant lock down a field for geese this weekend, and crawling with coyotes everywhere. Fur or not, lot of requests to get rid of them. Time to put down the 12 ga, and pull out the .243 :fighting0021:

Fordevr 10-28-2018 08:37 PM

Put a holographic sight on the 12 ga and took it for a test drive. Hornady Nickel plated BB coyote loads. Fur was ok on one and not quite as good on the other one. Good enough for me.

23 yrd with the 12 ga.
25 yards with the 17 hmr