Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Going fishing at Cold Lake. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=383960)

123dave 06-29-2020 08:40 PM

Going fishing at Cold Lake.

I'm planning a fishing trip to Cold Lake in August. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I've never been there before. TIA

Kurt505 06-29-2020 09:57 PM

Do you have a boat? If so do you have downriggers?

123dave 06-30-2020 12:02 AM

Pontoon boat, no downriggers.

wharde 06-30-2020 01:07 AM

Just had my first trip to Cold Lake. Never fished Lake trout in my sixty odd years of fishing and caught my first on Saturday ending up with 3. Good fun and hope to do it again. Don't have a downrigger so just used whole anchovie on a big j hook and drifted and trolled in 75 ft. water on the south side of the lake. Biggest was 70 cm so never got a taste but maybe next time.

58thecat 06-30-2020 06:12 AM

Launch that vessel at the provincial camp launch or the marina....not at French bay as it is shallow and sandy bottom.

I stall rod holders if not already done, invest in a deep diver, pink lady or similar type diver to get you down to 40-60 feet ish....I run a willow leaf...little spoons that flash and then behind it a 4" apex trolling lure rainbow trout Color.....all can be bought at crappy tire....if you launch at the provincial park you can go out 100 yards and drop lines....troll across the open water east towards Saskatchewan and once you get closer to the point, land come off shore about 100-200 yards...on you right where the shore is there is a beach...garnet beach you will see cabins....fart around in and around that area and stay on the bait balls....you will catch trout.

Map of the lake and a fish finder will assist you....head over to the island too....another source is to jig too...TC Moto's....Gibbs jigs....I like to put a hunk of large minnow on to....find the bait balls and jig away....

Good luck.

Oh and use the search engine here as this lake is discussed many times.

58thecat 06-30-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123dave (Post 4195074)
I'm planning a fishing trip to Cold Lake in August. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I've never been there before. TIA

https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/1...aign%20Monitor

OL_JR 06-30-2020 07:22 PM

Jigging is pretty effective for lakers at cold lake and without downriggers you should be able to have some really good days.

I don't even start fishing until I start marking fish and then you can either anchor on them or drift by them jigging heavy tubes. With heavy jigs you can stay down deep at a fairly good clip without to much swing out. If you see a bait ball there will usually be fish below it and above it, don't ignore those high up fish as I find they can be the most aggressive. I've caught the higher up fish with deep diving cranks as well.

35 whelen 07-01-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4195738)
Jigging is pretty effective for lakers at cold lake and without downriggers you should be able to have some really good days.

I don't even start fishing until I start marking fish and then you can either anchor on them or drift by them jigging heavy tubes. With heavy jigs you can stay down deep at a fairly good clip without to much swing out. If you see a bait ball there will usually be fish below it and above it, don't ignore those high up fish as I find they can be the most aggressive. I've caught the higher up fish with deep diving cranks as well.

Exactly leave all that gear at home 2oz jigs is all you will need ,

58thecat 07-01-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4195940)
Exactly leave all that gear at home 2oz jigs is all you will need ,

Ok....ya throw the jig over...now what....no line.....no rod....no reel.....you guys are onto something ya better share with us....:confused:

barbless 07-01-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4195949)
Ok....ya throw the jig over...now what....no line.....no rod....no reel.....you guys are onto something ya better share with us....:confused:

:thinking-006: :snapoutofit: :bad_boys_20: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

35 whelen 07-01-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4195949)

Wow

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

58thecat 07-01-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4195990)
Wow

that's what I said....kidding....joke....no offence...hopefully taken.:)

35 whelen 07-01-2020 04:14 PM

None taken happy Canada Day

Rdamours 07-01-2020 05:20 PM

Wholesale used to have Cold Lake Killers. Heavy white tube jig with a stinger. I can probably order online but does anyone have a line on some one doing them locally.

I'll head out there as well on the next calm day. I usually go out in front of the marina about 500m - 1 km

58thecat 07-02-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdamours (Post 4196307)
Wholesale used to have Cold Lake Killers. Heavy white tube jig with a stinger. I can probably order online but does anyone have a line on some one doing them locally.

I'll head out there as well on the next calm day. I usually go out in front of the marina about 500m - 1 km

Emma's in cold lake north......Google location......