Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to register an older snowmobile with no bill of sale? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339734)

full_throttle 02-20-2018 08:44 PM

How to register an older snowmobile with no bill of sale?

I have an older sled (20years old) that I bought years back from a fellow. When i bought it from him he had never registered it since new as it was used just around the farm, etc. We did a bill of sale back then, but i never did register it as my use was the same purpose. I have since lost the bill of sale. Its still a good reliable sled (only 1100kms) and I would like to register it to use on public lands. Any suggestions on how to approach the sometimes not so nice registries ladies? Oh i have had it insured ever since I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish along 02-20-2018 08:47 PM

Tell em it's u built, lol just kidding. :sHa_shakeshout:

roper1 02-20-2018 08:53 PM

Recurrent insurance should have the serial # in your name, should be good to go.

moosemad 02-22-2018 05:34 PM

Pretty sure there is a document you can sign swearing you bought it and lost the bill of sale. Seem to recall doing this with an old trailer I had. Call a registry office and inquire.

Dark 02-22-2018 06:03 PM

:fighting0074:a :shark:[QUOTE=full_throttle;3736146]I have an older sled (20years old) that I bought years back from a fellow. When i bought it from him he had never registered it since new as it was used just around the farm, etc. We did a bill of sale back then, but i never did register it as my use was the same purpose. I have since lost the bill of sale. Its still a good reliable sled (only 1100kms) and I would like to register it to use on public lands. Any suggestions on how to approach the sometimes not so nice registries ladies? Oh i have had it insured ever since I bought it.

Sell it to your wife or have your wife sell it to you.
Make out a bill of sale. If it has never been registered you should be good.Worked for me.

boah 02-22-2018 06:09 PM

Have your wife sell you the quad. You will then have a bill of sale.

Mayhem 02-22-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosemad (Post 3737426)
Pretty sure there is a document you can sign swearing you bought it and lost the bill of sale. Seem to recall doing this with an old trailer I had. Call a registry office and inquire.

This...

jstubbs 02-22-2018 06:24 PM

Legally, sell it to your buddy for a dollar (don't even need it in writing, statute of frauds doesn't apply), then have him sell it it back to you for a dollar, this time in writing with a bill of sale. Take that to the registry.

This sort of highlights the issue with not having titles to this sort of stuff. If you find a long abandoned vehicle, insure it, write up a fake bill of sale and take it to the registry. You now are now the legal owner unless the original owner reports it stolen.

jungleboy 02-22-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3737466)
Have your wife sell you the quad. You will then have a bill of sale.

^^^^ this^^^
I have done this lots of times with vehicles I have lost paperwork for. Get wife or a friend to sign it . As long as you are dead sure there are judgments against it .

Fish along 02-22-2018 07:40 PM

Good to know

Big Grey Wolf 02-23-2018 08:01 AM

Just another bit of info if you use snowmobile only on your trapline on crown it does not need insurance, only needs license plate.

full_throttle 02-23-2018 08:04 AM

Update, i went into the town registies the other day and explained the situation. No big deal, I had to sign a declaration and pay the registration fee. Done. Much easier that attempting the fake bill of sale idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ennyindabenny 02-23-2018 01:05 PM

I have a buddy who has lost multiple bills of sale, and he always write them up from Corey Trevor Lahey as the seller, never had a problem.