Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BAD News (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=311913)

HunterDave 01-07-2017 07:15 PM

BAD News

Just in case anyone is considering making a large purchase of snares, you should be made aware that there is a very strong possibility that BADs will be mandatory on snares next season. I would say that the chance of it happening is 100%.

Tfng 01-07-2017 07:19 PM

Any idea of the size that may be required? I'm ok with it, I run BADS on all my snares anyway. I did bump up a size this year though.

Rio56 01-07-2017 07:23 PM

what's BADS

Tfng 01-07-2017 07:27 PM

Break Away Device. It's an S shaped link in the snare designed to release animals heavier than the intended target.

HunterDave 01-07-2017 07:46 PM

The information about this is posted on the public domain so I have no idea why Trappers haven't been given more notice about this. Check the 2016 resolutions from the AGM on the ATA website for all of the details about it.

Tfng 01-07-2017 07:56 PM

Thanks Dave, I find it interesting the resolution to prohibit going to the media with non target catches was not carried.

HunterDave 01-07-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfng (Post 3436903)
Thanks Dave, I find it interesting the resolution to prohibit going to the media with non target catches was not carried.

That's not how I understood it. It sounded to me like the resolution was to muzzle the bios (lol) and not allow them to make the information available to the general public. No doubt that'd go absolutely nowhere.

Tfng 01-07-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3436918)
That's not how I understood it. It sounded to me like the resolution was to muzzle the bios (lol) and not allow them to make the information available to the general public. No doubt that'd go absolutely nowhere.

Yes it was intended to muzzle the bios and co's by the sounds of it. It says withdrawn so I'm not sure if it did not pass or was withdrawn by the person who proposed it.

Bushmonkey 01-07-2017 09:30 PM

In a way unless they make it mandatory for a 265lbs break away, if you really didn't want to use BAD's for fear of losing a catch, just use the 1000lbs BAD's. And I doubt they could say it's mandatory to use 265's because no one would snare wolves with them.

Marty S 01-10-2017 09:36 AM

Surely sensible compliance is desireable. If people would get stupid about it then mandatory stuff comes down and you lose options and freedoms. One area that I am snaring has a wolf running around, with sensible legislation, I can rig a couple dozen wolf snares and have set it. With over-restrictive legislation, I will be unable to do such and hold such. So... be good, kids!

rcmc 01-10-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3439395)
Surely sensible compliance is desireable. If people would get stupid about it then mandatory stuff comes down and you lose options and freedoms. One area that I am snaring has a wolf running around, with sensible legislation, I can rig a couple dozen wolf snares and have set it. With over-restrictive legislation, I will be unable to do such and hold such. So... be good, kids!

Totally agree with Marty here, we all have a responsibility to keep up with the improvements brought forward by others. If any trappers out there aren't using BADS, please begin doing so when you buy or build your next batch of snares, it's better for us all.

HunterDave 01-10-2017 12:24 PM

I have no issue with this resolution, I use the appropriate sized BADs in all of my snares. What I do have a problem with is having to search for information like this in order to know about it. Alberta Trappers shouldn't have to scrounge around to keep informed of trapping issues without having to attend meetings, BBQs or picnics to know what is going on......or at least what the adults want to tell us.
On the positive side, in December the ATA started to send out newsletters to help keep the membership informed so perhaps the tide is turning in the right direction.

GStyler 01-10-2017 12:51 PM

Well, if BAD's are going to be mandatory... How about on power ram snares? I have a bunch of power rams, but only use them in specific locations where I want to make sure the trail stays intact. I only use them when I have to because of the lack of release for them. I never use them where livestock could be.

Does anyone have a good release method on power rams?

I have considered putting an S BAD on either end of the snare. On the loop end, it seemed like it would be too slippery to hold the loop and awkward to use. On the Ram side, it would release the whole snare - leaving the critter with some jewelry which could cause problems later... which mr. farmer would not appreciate.

Graham.

Tfng 01-10-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GStyler (Post 3439570)
Well, if BAD's are going to be mandatory... How about on power ram snares? I have a bunch of power rams, but only use them in specific locations where I want to make sure the trail stays intact. I only use them when I have to because of the lack of release for them. I never use them where livestock could be.

Does anyone have a good release method on power rams?

I have considered putting an S BAD on either end of the snare. On the loop end, it seemed like it would be too slippery to hold the loop and awkward to use. On the Ram side, it would release the whole snare - leaving the critter with some jewelry which could cause problems later... which mr. farmer would not appreciate.

Graham.

I've been using nothing but Rams for the last two years. I run a BAD on them in the same position as a regular snare. I let a few go at first because a normally crimped 265 was too light for the way I anchor my Rams. Overcrimped 265 holds just fine but I switched to a normally crimped 385 because I was unsure of the release weight of an overcrimped 265.

I load all my snares and they're very fast and I get good high catches most of the time. Sometimes I think they're too fast or my loops are too smal because I catch the odd one ahead of the ears (rarely). Overall they work very well.

If you're anchoring your ram through the eye of the spring I suspect a 265 would be ok. I anchor mine from the arm with the split link where the snare attaches, I didn't like the idea of the cable "sawing" on the trigger when anchored to the eye.

Thunder/FX 01-10-2017 01:52 PM

FWIW,
I use cam locks with 385 BADs on RAM Power snares.
No issues, works as it should.
Would welcome constructive criticism on this...

GStyler 01-10-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfng (Post 3439594)
I run a BAD on them in the same position as a regular snare.Overcrimped 265 holds just fine but I switched to a normally crimped 385 because I was unsure of the release weight of an overcrimped 265.

Sometimes I think they're too fast or my loops are too smal because I catch the odd one ahead of the ears (rarely). Overall they work very well.

I anchor mine from the arm with the split link where the snare attaches, I didn't like the idea of the cable "sawing" on the trigger when anchored to the eye.

Good to know. If its working for you, I will have to give it a try.
Yeah I thought the smooth BAD would cause the snare to be too fast. And the loop to hang too loosely/be able to swing too much.
I anchor around the split link arm as well... mostly because anchoring to the eye can be a pain the the butt. I have nice big end loops in my anchor cable, and just slip an end loop over the top ring and split link before attaching the snare. Once the snare is on, the anchor cable can't slip off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder/FX (Post 3439608)
FWIW,

I don't see why that wouldn't work either. The lock wouldn't even need good/any teeth.

Tfng 01-10-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder/FX (Post 3439608)
FWIW,

Are you using the camlocks because you think they're backing out or kicking the snare off before the Ram fires? Are you loading your snares? There's been a few times I've wondered if they kicked the snare off before the ram fired.

Otherwise you're lessening the poor weather effectiveness advantage of the Ram imo. They function with significant frost/ice on the cable.

Tfng 01-10-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GStyler (Post 3439656)
Good to know. If its working for you, I will have to give it a try.
Yeah I thought the smooth BAD would cause the snare to be too fast. And the loop to hang too loosely/be able to swing too much.
I anchor around the split link arm as well... mostly because anchoring to the eye can be a pain the the butt. I have nice big end loops in my anchor cable, and just slip an end loop over the top ring and split link before attaching the snare. Once the snare is on, the anchor cable can't slip off.

I don't see why that wouldn't work either. The lock wouldn't even need good/any teeth.

Are you not using wire as a support to hang the snare from? Your comment about being able to swing too freely has me wondering. I set them like a regular snare where it must travel uphill before it fires. I've got a few hundred coyotes under my belt but I'm far from an expert.

Thunder/FX 01-10-2017 07:41 PM

I feel that if they do not react to aggressively to the cable, They could quite easily back out.
I do in fact load all of my snares.
It takes a fair bit of force to fire the Ram and I feel this could only be a upgrade to an already great system

Tfng 01-10-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder/FX (Post 3439912)
I feel that if they do not react to aggressively to the cable, They could quite easily back out.
I do in fact load all of my snares.
It takes a fair bit of force to fire the Ram and I feel this could only be a upgrade to an already great system

Thanks! So I'm not crazy thinking I've had the odd one kick it off. It had crossed my mind to add a lock but I didnt want to complicate things.

I thought the loop was too small for them to just back out of it if the snare had closed. I could be wrong.

Buck du Nord 03-08-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3436860)
Just in case anyone is considering making a large purchase of snares, you should be made aware that there is a very strong possibility that BADs will be mandatory on snares next season. I would say that the chance of it happening is 100%.

Has anyone heard about it ? I will start to work on my stuff for the next season soon and it would be good to know ?

drake 03-08-2017 08:07 PM

It behooves all of us to go to lengths to avoid bycatch and use the most humane snaring systems available to us. A properly tested and rated BAD along with kill spring is a no brainer to me. I'm surprised that such a change would meet residence from anyone who cares about trapping freedom.

6mm rem 03-08-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake (Post 3489481)
It behooves all of us to go to lengths to avoid bycatch and use the most humane snaring systems available to us. A properly tested and rated BAD along with kill spring is a no brainer to me. I'm surprised that such a change would meet residence from anyone who cares about trapping freedom.

Well said !

drake 03-08-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake (Post 3489481)

*Resistance not residence lol damn iPhones

H380 03-09-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake (Post 3489560)
*Resistance not residence lol damn iPhones

Think we know what you meant :) Great post by the way . Why anyone would want to use a snare without a breakaway is beyond me . Even tho our efforts to be humane and improve our systems will largely be ignored by anti's it does show that we are trying

Whitetail200 03-09-2017 07:24 AM

Bads

Here ! Here ! , used for a long time , senneker system , won't use anything else , although I have given the Rams a try with BADS on them & Ram's do the job when they work , catches I mean , didn't care for the refusal's but this can happen with any system . Mine sit as spares collecting dust .

HunterDave 03-09-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck du Nord (Post 3489376)
Has anyone heard about it ? I will start to work on my stuff for the next season soon and it would be good to know ?

I'd include BAD's on my new snares just in case it is legislated for next season. Better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

gman1978 03-09-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 3489671)
Think we know what you meant :) Great post by the way . Why anyone would want to use a snare without a breakaway is beyond me . Even tho our efforts to be humane and improve our systems will largely be ignored by anti's it does show that we are trying

Can I ask what size of breakaway you use or would recommend? Honestly I have the most issue with moose as they seem to love to inspect bait sites.