Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Standing Offhand CHALLENGE (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=170477)

260 Rem 03-08-2013 09:50 AM

Standing Offhand CHALLENGE

The Challenge so many have been waiting for....To shoot three consecutive groups, with four shots in each group, on a single sheet at 100M (or yards) from a standing off-hand postion....from a rifle chambered to legally hunt Big Game in Alberta.
THE RULES
* restricted to centerfire rifles exceeding .23 caliber
* no restrictions on rifles, upgrades, optics, or rests
* must be shot from standing off-hand postion without sling support

To Post Pictures
* requires three "groups" with four shots in each group on a single target paper, with no group larger than 8" measured C - to - C at 100M/100yds. Four shots only in each group, not five or six.
* requires you post a picture of the rifle and give caliber / model details

This is an idea of how you can set up your target to comply with THE RULES. If you use, stick-ons, just make sure there is a bit of distance separating them to insure no hidden "fliers".

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps1c0d1aa8.jpg

This is a CHALLENGE, not a contest..

260 Rem 03-08-2013 10:42 AM

NOTE: Sorry, I included "rests" in the second line under rules...which are of course not permitted.

32-40win 03-09-2013 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That make palm rests out? As in;

260 Rem 03-09-2013 09:09 AM

32-40win - You wouldn't take that beauty out of the safe to shoot would you? Yes, "palm" rests made of human skin are fine for the front!

catnthehat 03-09-2013 09:24 AM

I dunno why not, we shoot them all the time - if there isn't 3' of snow on the ground that is!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...at/Haenal1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...I-Wall3855.jpg
Cat

myrand 03-09-2013 11:46 AM

i ca easilly group wthin 10 feets:bad_boys_20:

do you have bigger targets ?

32-40win 03-09-2013 11:51 AM

Mine ain't quite that nice, that is a pic I had handy to illustrate the palm rest.
However, I could do the part about digging it out. Have to clean out the powder from the action from the last time out, fix the breech seater stop, make a batch of lube and lube some boolits. That may take a week or two to get accomplished.
There are a few people in Ab that could contribute to this thread with these setups if they choose to.

260 Rem 03-09-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32-40win (Post 1880760)
Mine ain't quite that nice, that is a pic I had handy to illustrate the palm rest.
However, I could do the part about digging it out. Have to clean out the powder from the action from the last time out, fix the breech seater stop, make a batch of lube and lube some boolits. That may take a week or two to get accomplished.
There are a few people in Ab that could contribute to this thread with these setups if they choose to.

Those are great looking rifles. Hope we draw some off-hand shooters on this thread as it will be great to see true craftsmanship both on paper and with the rifle picture.

stvnbrg 03-10-2013 11:14 AM

Challenge accepted!!

Cal 03-10-2013 11:35 AM

Just to clarify can our targets have bullseyes?

mudbug 03-10-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1880595)
I dunno why not, we shoot them all the time - if there isn't 3' of snow on the ground that is!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...at/Haenal1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...I-Wall3855.jpg
Cat

WOW!! I think first place is already spoken for :thinking-006:

Where is this challenge to be held at? :)

catnthehat 03-10-2013 06:33 PM

Those guns aren't the easiest things to shoot offhand for an occasional shooter , they are HEAVY!!:sign0161:
And of course, the Highwall would have to be shot without the palm rest.:)

I have several that will be fine however, and plan to get into this as soon as things settle down at home.
I have a nice iron sighted Ruger that will do just fine, among others.:)
Cat

260 Rem 03-10-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal (Post 1881810)
Just to clarify can our targets have bullseyes?

Anything you sight on is OK as long as it is on one sheet...so three or four bullseyses are OK as long as they are on a single sheet of paper. The purpose is to insure that shooters are shooting consecutive groups ,,as much as that is possible.

Metalmike123 03-10-2013 06:37 PM

Is this challenge with or without buck fever?? :)

260 Rem 03-10-2013 06:39 PM

The "buck fever" feeling may creep in just before your last shot...

mudbug 03-10-2013 09:06 PM

Okay now that I re-read the op I see that we can set up our own targets at a range and then post the pcitures of them after. Do we need to have them witnessed by another member or a friend ?

gitrdun 03-11-2013 05:08 PM

Shot the challenge target today

Here is my target. Circles are 8" diameter. The hole between the left and center was intended for the left target. Not all in circles, but all on paper.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...ps2a35e18b.jpg

The rifle: Remington 700LSS, 7mm-08. Scope is Leupold VXIII 2.5-8.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...psbd97d3a7.jpg

The loads: 100gr Sierra Hollow Point, 10gr Unique, WLR primers, FC cases collet neck sized. 1680 fps @ muzzle.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...psb84f6412.jpg

Oh...and I should mention that I shot one round to each target, then came back and cycled thru each target consecutively. That way, I wouldn't be thinking that "boy, I must be getting tired" as I moved thru the targets had I shot all 4 in one then move to the next. I guess that theory didn't work. Not that good of a showing on my part I must admit. Oh well, made holes in papers anyhow.

260 Rem 03-11-2013 05:41 PM

gitrdone - I think you did pretty well! I personally have not yet worked up the nerve to try. Good strategy to cycle the shots. With one target of your three meeting the "masters" level, you have done the best to date. Also smart to use the light load to mitigate potential recoil flinch. Nice rifle. Good job

260 Rem 03-11-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug (Post 1882563)
Okay now that I re-read the op I see that we can set up our own targets at a range and then post the pcitures of them after. Do we need to have them witnessed by another member or a friend ?

Witness's not required....this is a CHALLENGE, not a contest. All that is on the line is the bragging rights.

gitrdun 03-11-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 1883790)
gitrdone - I think you did pretty well! I personally have not yet worked up the nerve to try. Good strategy to cycle the shots. With one target of your three meeting the "masters" level, you have done the best to date. Also smart to use the light load to mitigate potential recoil flinch. Nice rifle. Good job

Thanks friend. The reduced loads and managed recoil loads is something that I've been toying around with for various reasons, this being but just one. These reduced loads can be incredibly accurate, sub-moa even. Although Unique is a good powder choice, I much prefer Trailboss as you simply cannot double charge it. I hadn't worked up a Trailboss load so had to revert back to Unique.

Thanks for issuing these challenges BTW, lots of fun trying. :)

mudbug 03-11-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 1883796)
Witness's not required....this is a CHALLENGE, not a contest. All that is on the line is the bragging rights.

Right on :)

260 Rem 03-12-2013 01:25 PM

I tried...and after 6 shots I had 3 on the paper..unfortunately, only one was in the circle at which I aimed. Perhaps I need some practice:)

wolf308 03-13-2013 06:20 AM

hey nice gun getrdone , i really really like those, wanna give it to me for my birthday??? just asking? hey just curious why the wimpy loads in your 708 ? i think thats a great idea for shooting gophers ,just wondering?

hey id say iron sights are better for this type of work/challenge ,are they not?

says no restrictions on optics????does that mean you need a scope or mean no restriction on sights and optics?

catnthehat 03-13-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf308 (Post 1886196)
hey nice gun getrdone , i really really like those, wanna give it to me for my birthday??? just asking? hey just curious why the wimpy loads in your 708 ? i think thats a great idea for shooting gophers ,just wondering?

hey id say iron sights are better for this type of work/challenge ,are they not?

says no restrictions on optics????does that mean you need a scope or mean no restriction on sights and optics?

When it warms up I am going to accept this challenge with express sights, receiver sights, and scopes .
Rifles used will be an unaltered Enfield Longbranch, Ruger falling block in .303 Brit, and a lakelander in 6.5X55 - heck I might even try it with my express rifle and the haenel Aydt8.15X46.:)
Cat

gitrdun 03-13-2013 08:30 AM

wimpy loads eh!

Sorry wolf308, she's not up for grabs, unfortunately I like it probably more than you do, lol. Those wimpy loads as you call them are great practise rounds with your full bore and also a good choice for shooting in an event such as this one. There are recipes on-line for both reduced and managed recoil loads for nearly all calibers. If you need some, check out the hodgdon website and also a Lyman manual. Try them, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

On optics, I shot mine scoped for several reason. That gun doesn't come with open sights, 260Rem mentioned optics, nothing about open sights. And my vision with glasses is somewhat restrictive. So this challenge was a nice fit for me. I also practise offhand shooting more than any other discipline. Yeah I know....you can't really tell be this poor showing, but participation trumps little groups.

Slash8 03-13-2013 12:51 PM

Is there a Deadline ???????????????

I wouldn't be able to get to this for at least two or three weeks because of my stupid job interfering with my fun time........... AGAIN!.

260 Rem 03-13-2013 01:12 PM

No deadlines...groups don't even have to be shot on the same day...just as long as they are on the same sheet. Take your time, and enjoy the challenge. Post what you try as there will be three levels like in the olympics. Bronze for one successfull group of the three shot, silver for two, and of course, GOLD for all three.

32-40win 03-15-2013 10:16 AM

I got "the Call" from Wolverine on Wed, my Krieghoff SXS is in. I will pick it up at the gun show on the 28th. I think I will give this a try with it during the load workup for it. I have a body drilled out to make a proper pliers style breech seater for the .32-40 now, have to weld some tabs on it for the linkage and reciever lug, got the gun cleaned up, will make some lube this weekend. Gonna have to work up some mooscles for holding a 15lb gun offhand again, that should be interesting.I was thinking I'd just use a 3 ring archery target, the 7 ring is 6" IIRC. There was a fella put up a target at CAC one day in the old store, 30 arrows, inside the 9 ring, not touching the 8 ring, no jarlickers, $5.00 a head, about 15 people tried it, all good shooters, many very capable of it, nobody did it. We had a lot of good chuckles on that one.

260 Rem 03-15-2013 12:34 PM

32 - better start some push-ups, there is going to be a little fatique wiggle after a few shots with a 15 pounder.
I have a feeling that actually shooting 3 groups off-hand on the same paper with 4 ahots in each group may be more challenging than "talking" about the ability to do it. It will be interesting to see how many shooters that imply they are decent in the off-hand department, will be posting successfull targets in this thread. I can't count the number of times I've been slagged after posting a decent bench group, with somebody saying how easy it is to shoot off bags and implying that their off-hand skills are the only real test of bragging rights. I have no doubt there will be several shooters capable of making the challenge...but seems unlikely there will be a run on photobucket uploads:)

keep6matt 03-15-2013 12:43 PM

I will give it a go in 2 to 3 weeks time when I have one of my .308 rifles finished with bedding and a few tweaks, looking forward to see how I will fair against the jedi knights of shooting on here. Great Idea 260!