Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Poll: What outer layer do you use for the sub-zero and snow? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=329134)

Nyksta 09-11-2017 09:20 PM

Poll: What outer layer do you use for the sub-zero and snow?

When you are layering up for a full day of hunting out in the snow, what is your choice of outer layer to deal with wet, cold, wind, and keeping yourself from getting too sweaty inside it all, and still remaining quiet enough if you need to move for a shot.

Guide5689 09-12-2017 07:56 AM

Merino wool is no doubt the best base layer for both warmth and moisture control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 09-12-2017 09:12 AM

I've got some Rocky insulated bib overalls that do the trick.

Cheers
John
highlanderhunting.podbean.com

The Spruce 09-12-2017 01:02 PM

Man, I am amazed how many people have gone away from natural wool. Nothing beats it (except maybe down, but down is very bulky and $). I spend probably too much time in the bush, I wear a wind proof layer and wool. Bets part about wool, if it gets wet your not dead.

Spruce

Hagalaz 09-12-2017 02:40 PM

Wool.

I use wool across the board when it comes to cold weather.

nast70 09-12-2017 02:55 PM

For hunting this year I found Cabelas Rain Suede on sale. Bought it larger so I can layer under with my good sled gear.

Nyksta 09-12-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spruce (Post 3620797)
Man, I am amazed how many people have gone away from natural wool. Nothing beats it (except maybe down, but down is very bulky and $). I spend probably too much time in the bush, I wear a wind proof layer and wool. Bets part about wool, if it gets wet your not dead.

Spruce

I agree wool is fantastic for baselayers. I am curious what peoples absolutely outer layer is. As you said you wear a windproof layer. What type of material is it? Rain proof hard shell or a softshell type thing?

Luckybrand 09-12-2017 03:18 PM

I now run army surplus acu digital stuff the light gray seems to work really well amongst poplars and willows with no leaves, underneath I wear marmot precip jacket if it's snowing/raining and pants unless it's really really wet I just use wool long johns and the acu pants, if it's -20 and I'm sitting in the stand I wear my blue winter coveralls and just have an old grey moving blanket I wear over myself seems to work pretty well, simple and effective. I do have a set of goretex mt050 pants from cabelas that are very warm but if I'm doing any walking they are too hot

Luckwell 09-12-2017 08:10 PM

OncaShell jacket and pants. I like wool but once it's wet it's wet. I'm a polyester fan myself. It will dry on your body heat without taking it off.

Cotton kills

SPIKEHORN 09-13-2017 10:23 AM

Best thing I ever did was get a Gerbings heated vest, I use one light over layer with a wool under garment, it keeps me toasty warm down to -20-30

Nyksta 09-13-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN (Post 3621352)
Best thing I ever did was get a Gerbings heated vest, I use one light over layer with a wool under garment, it keeps me toasty warm down to -20-30

What is your one light over layer? Smooth tightthread goretex type rainproof synthetic or a water resistant soft shell fuzzy type synthetic, wool, or something else.

Bushleague 09-13-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3620839)
I agree wool is fantastic for baselayers. I am curious what peoples absolutely outer layer is. As you said you wear a windproof layer. What type of material is it? Rain proof hard shell or a softshell type thing?

For real cold weather I generally just wear straight wool as an outer layer, if the wind is cutting through I just wear more wool or sometimes a denim shirt under my outer layer. I stay on the move when hunting, and in cold weather any synthetic just doesn't breathe enough, even with the denim shirt in the mix I'm prone to getting clammy.

Most of the season I wear a fleece or merino wool base layer, then either a micro fleece or wool pant depending on how cold it is. Up top its either a vest or wool coat, and wool sweaters underneath if needed.

In the past I've had good luck while winter trekking down to -30 just using heavy cotton coveralls as an outer layer, and wool underneath as needed. Unlined coveralls cut the wind and pretty good, because you can open up the front of the coveralls they breath pretty good while snowshoeing. I keep a big sweater in my pack that I can put on over top when I stop for lunch. Never tried this for hunting but I think it would work.

If a guy is sitting in a blind all day then breathability wouldn't be as much of a concern.

Jayhad 09-13-2017 05:04 PM

I use First lite base, mid and out layers. The base and mid are merino and the rain gear is the Vapor Stormlight gear made of 37.5 Corona it is about 2lb for both the pant and coat. It's crazy expensive.... at least to me.

Prairiewolf 09-14-2017 06:13 AM

For the conditions you've specified:

*Wool base layer (t-shirt and long underwear)
*Wool pants (First Lite) and thin down jacket (Eddie Bauer)
*Kuiu guide pants and jacket
*Rain gear in the pack if needed
*Thin Icebreaker gloves with Canada Goose mitts in the pack if sitting/glassing
*Wool socks in the boots and a spare pair in the pack

Sometimes I skip either the First Lite or Kuiu pants depending on how cold it is.

Nyksta 09-14-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiewolf (Post 3621841)
For the conditions you've specified:

*Wool base layer (t-shirt and long underwear)
*Wool pants (First Lite) and thin down jacket (Eddie Bauer)
*Kuiu guide pants and jacket
*Rain gear in the pack if needed
*Thin Icebreaker gloves with Canada Goose mitts in the pack if sitting/glassing
*Wool socks in the boots and a spare pair in the pack

Sometimes I skip either the First Lite or Kuiu pants depending on how cold it is.

That is a very nice description of your insulation. So what type of materiel is your final outer layer?

Kechika 09-14-2017 09:12 AM

Sleeping Indian/King of the Mountain Wool

Anytime in the mountains I wear merino wool base wear and when cold I go to 260 weight merino. When it gets really cold or sitting in a blind or stand I always go to my Sleeping Indian and King of the Mountain wool outer wear. The few times it gets cold enough that I need more I pull on a Sitka outer shell and head to camp.