Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Snow/ crawling valley (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339472)

Clueless 02-16-2018 10:06 AM

Snow/ crawling valley

Just wondering how thick is the ice is and how deep the snow is on top?
Was hoping to be able to drive on in my car.

Habfan 02-18-2018 07:36 AM

:thinking-006:

burbotman 02-18-2018 08:56 AM

If it is anything like the lakes just south of there you won't get very far and will get your excercise digging. Ice is very thick but about a foot of snow plus drifts

W

Clueless 02-20-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbotman (Post 3734525)
If it is anything like the lakes just south of there you won't get very far and will get your excercise digging. Ice is very thick but about a foot of snow plus drifts

W

Thanks you are exactly right 8/14 inches of snow drifted on the ice. Ice is abot 30 inches thick, bottomed out my electric ion. Had a hard time even getting to the boat launch or the entry canal. Walked out, got skunked. Apparently I was too shallow for burbs.
Thanks

dodger 02-20-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habfan (Post 3734485)
:thinking-006:

Interesting helpful info.

Dodger.

Snazyevey 02-20-2018 09:37 PM

I was out there on Saturday. It was alright to drive on. The hardest part was getting my SUV on the ice from shore. After that once I got going I managed to get to where I was going. The traction control was basically on the entire time however.
It's doable, but definitely need some speed to make sure you don't get stuck.

Had a good day when I was out. All pike and no walleye. The fish wanted movement. Dead sticks weren't very effective.

Habfan 02-21-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 3735909)

Dodger.

As was yours !

Habfan 02-21-2018 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 3735909)

Dodger.

I was just bumping the thread as I was interested in the same info ! I guess next time I’ll just write “ Bump” to avoid any confusion and ignorant comments.

dodger 02-21-2018 06:41 AM

I was wondering why there was no comment. Usually a comment leads others to an understanding of what they want or are looking for.

Dodger.

traxxis87 02-21-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snazyevey (Post 3736186)
I was out there on Saturday. It was alright to drive on. The hardest part was getting my SUV on the ice from shore. After that once I got going I managed to get to where I was going. The traction control was basically on the entire time however.
It's doable, but definitely need some speed to make sure you don't get stuck.

Had a good day when I was out. All pike and no walleye. The fish wanted movement. Dead sticks weren't very effective.

Not a ton to add to this, I have been out there every weekend this past month, tons of ice and the snow is hard enough that its not a problem to drive.

Not seeing many burbs but lots of pike and walleye........ and the smallest perch I've ever seen on camera.

sanjuanworm 02-21-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traxxis87 (Post 3736479)
Not a ton to add to this, I have been out there every weekend this past month, tons of ice and the snow is hard enough that its not a problem to drive.

Not seeing many burbs but lots of pike and walleye........ and the smallest perch I've ever seen on camera.

I actually caught a 12" perch in crawling last season. Right off the docks no less.