Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dallas Safari Club (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357826)

Jim Blake 01-16-2019 07:23 AM

Dallas Safari Club

Just wondered if anyone was going down for this great show!! Leaving today. It will be the second time down for us. Lots to see and do.

Torkdiesel 01-16-2019 08:46 AM

We’re down here now. Setting up today

Jim Blake 01-16-2019 05:14 PM

We are down there looking for a couple hunts. One would be this Spring (here) in NZ. The other would be mountain caribou BEFORE the rut. Can't eat them during or after.

Deer Hunter 01-16-2019 05:15 PM

Sounds like fun. Good shopping!

Torkdiesel 01-16-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 3912867)
We are down there looking for a couple hunts. One would be this Spring (here) in NZ. The other would be mountain caribou BEFORE the rut. Can't eat them during or after.

I know a guy that has some particularly tasty mountain caribou that can be hunted in early September 😎

Jim Blake 01-17-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3912974)
I know a guy that has some particularly tasty mountain caribou that can be hunted in early September 😎

Looks like we are going with the Lancasters. Most of the guys I know give them a VERY high rating. See how it shakes out.

Torkdiesel 01-17-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 3913171)
Looks like we are going with the Lancasters. Most of the guys I know give them a VERY high rating. See how it shakes out.

I’m the NWT ?

You won’t be disappointed, they run a first class operation

NCC 01-17-2019 11:43 AM

I’ve heard Liard River Outfitters run a good operation and have mountain caribou.

marky_mark 01-17-2019 12:07 PM

I think those mountain caribou taste pretty good

Jim Blake 01-17-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3913345)
I’ve heard Liard River Outfitters run a good operation and have mountain caribou.

That is probably very true but It looks like they have changed to using quads which I would rather not do for this type of hunt. Nothing against quads but for me it takes away from the remote hunt aspect. JMO

Jim Blake 01-18-2019 07:42 AM

Truly an amazing Show. Well organized and run. I feel like a kid in a candy store!! Not a cheap candy store though LOL.

Torkdiesel 01-18-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 3913503)
That is probably very true but It looks like they have changed to using quads which I would rather not do for this type of hunt. Nothing against quads but for me it takes away from the remote hunt aspect. JMO

We did switch over to ATVs, you’re correct there. Too many of the clients we have detest horses, are afraid of them, and can’t ride well enough to get around where they need to go.
Almost everybody is comfortable on an ATV

I am a little surprised that you feel an ATV takes away from the hunt, but the helicopter you’ll be using with the Lancaster’s does not.

NCC 01-18-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 3913503)

If you ask nice, they would probably let you walk.

I own horses and can appreciate your desire for a non ATV hunt. That said, there have been many times when out sheep hunting that I have wished I could stay on the mountain instead of having to walk 10 miles back to camp to look after the horses.

Jim Blake 01-18-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3913956)
We did switch over to ATVs, you’re correct there. Too many of the clients we have detest horses, are afraid of them, and can’t ride well enough to get around where they need to go.
Almost everybody is comfortable on an ATV

I am a little surprised that you feel an ATV takes away from the hunt, but the helicopter you’ll be using with the Lancaster’s does not.

I get what you mean but I view the helicopter no differently than taking a float plane to a lake for a remote hunt. Once you land it's gone. Just my view.

Torkdiesel 01-18-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 3914155)
I get what you mean but I view the helicopter no differently than taking a float plane to a lake for a remote hunt. Once you land it's gone. Just my view.

Totally understand sir !

The ATVs are used mostly for retrieving animals and getting to the spike camps, once there you’d be hunting on foot like most backpack hunts.

But everybody has their own vision of what they want in a hunt, and since you’re paying it is about what you want.

Good luck on your trip, I’m sure you’ll have a blast