Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   They're DEAD in Obed! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381334)

sendmethem 05-10-2020 02:31 PM

They're DEAD in Obed!

I recently fished Obed Lake for the first time. Was disappointed to see four large browns (5-8lbs) dead at the bottom near a popular fishing spot. I know recently guys are posting several photos of nice browns from here. Does this lake winter kill or are these most likely the result of handling mortality?

HuyFishin 05-10-2020 03:40 PM

Damn sad if true 😢

Drewski Canuck 05-10-2020 03:45 PM

Obed is a funny lake. Imagine a deep channel of about 30 fow with long flats of about 6 fow. There is a section on the east end by the point that has deeper water, quite close to shore, but that's it.

Used to have no perch, and was stocked with rainbows and brookies, until it became a Brown Trout project, likely because of the perch.

Brookies never did reproduce naturally, even though there was some rock and gravel on the east end. A Real pity.

If the reset was hard enough, and the perch are gone, perhaps wait a year and restock with some brookies, rainbows and tigers?

The Browns were hard to catch at the best of times.

Drewski

SNAPFisher 05-10-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4167530)
Obed is a funny lake. Imagine a deep channel of about 30 fow with long flats of about 6 fow. There is a section on the east end by the point that has deeper water, quite close to shore, but that's it.

Used to have no perch, and was stocked with rainbows and brookies, until it became a Brown Trout project, likely because of the perch.

Brookies never did reproduce naturally, even though there was some rock and gravel on the east end. A Real pity.

If the reset was hard enough, and the perch are gone, perhaps wait a year and restock with some brookies, rainbows and tigers?

The Browns were hard to catch at the best of times.

Drewski

Not that there are a ton of brown trout lakes but I like the bow and tiger combo. That could kick that lake up a notch!

EZM 05-10-2020 06:29 PM

That would be a shame.

The whole attraction to that lake was Browns. And because most people found them very hard to catch, you don't get as much traffic in there as you might in other lakes that size near the highway.

Stocking more bows and introducing tigers would bring 10 times the people into that lake. The tigers would also likely over compete with the existing trout that are in there as well.

I would restock browns.

Just my opinion.

Smoky buck 05-10-2020 06:37 PM

No rainbows keep it as a brown fishery

There is enough rainbow trout fisheries

SamSteele 05-10-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4167619)
No rainbows keep it as a brown fishery

There is enough rainbow trout fisheries

Agree! Rainbow lakes are on nearly every corner. Let’s keep some unique fisheries around.

coachman 05-10-2020 09:18 PM

A few years ago the lake had brookies and brown at the same time. I also caught a splake in there about the same time. The biologist figured that was an accident at the hatchery.

SNAPFisher 05-11-2020 07:28 AM

It was said rainbows and tigers. Not just rainbows. Then how about just tigers?

As a brown trout fishery, marginal at best and pretty quiet. Then again, maybe some want to keep it that way...

Smoky buck 05-11-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4167792)
It was said rainbows and tigers. Not just rainbows. Then how about just tigers?

As a brown trout fishery, marginal at best and pretty quiet. Then again, maybe some want to keep it that way...

Leave it be quality is not always about quantity. Adding tigers or rainbows would not change what the lake can sustain for numbers either. Don’t need sterile fish added to the lake increasing competition for resources and oxygen

Effort put in to habitat sure but keep it as browns

aulrich 05-11-2020 08:11 AM

Stocked rainbows don't have a long lifespan, could have been plain old fish kicking off.

DiabeticKripple 05-11-2020 08:11 AM

Surprised the govt hasn’t dumped walleye into that lake. Like we need more walleye fisheries.

Junglefisher 05-11-2020 08:46 AM

Obed gets thrashed as a perch lake. Maybe 1 in 10 or less are there for the browns. It's plenty busy, the parking area is usually full on weekends and the campground is always busy for a mud lot.

SNAPFisher 05-11-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4167813)
Leave it be quality is not always about quantity. Adding tigers or rainbows would not change what the lake can sustain for numbers either. Don’t need sterile fish added to the lake increasing competition for resources and oxygen

Effort put in to habitat sure but keep it as browns

Good points. I was thinking quality tigers over quality browns ;)
Might make it a bit more interesting.

Vapor 05-11-2020 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Obed Brown ...

:acigar:

Smoky buck 05-11-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4167921)
Good points. I was thinking quality tigers over quality browns ;)
Might make it a bit more interesting.

Hey we all have fish we prefer I can understand that

Myself when it comes to trout browns are high on the list for me and rainbows are rock bottom. Plus I always prefer stocking fish that can reproduce that can add to a body of water vs sterile fish that will need to be replaced

Just my outlook combined with a little personal preference

Smoky buck 05-11-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vapor (Post 4168003)
Obed Brown ...

:acigar:

Looks like a nice brown but next time don’t stretch your arms out so far. I make fun of my dad for that pose all the time lol

Vapor 05-11-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4168008)
Looks like a nice brown but next time don’t stretch your arms out so far. I make fun of my dad for that pose all the time lol

I know right? I thought about that before I posted. That was a few years ago when I started fishing again after being away for 30 years. I don't do that anymore lol. Was still a 6lb beast, was really happy all the same!

:)

Smoky buck 05-11-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vapor (Post 4168018)
I know right? I thought about that before I posted. That was a few years ago when I started fishing again after being away for 30 years. I don't do that anymore lol. Was still a 6lb beast, was really happy all the same!

:)

All good just have to poke a little fun anytime I see that pose

I tell my Dad all the time if he learned how to catch bigger fish he would not have to hold them out to make them look bigger :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Speckle55 05-12-2020 10:03 PM

every lake has mortality:fighting0074:

Obed is no differn't

if you spend time on your lake you will find out the secrets:test:

Obed has some nice Brown's n perch

just watched young guy n his girlfriend catch some nice ones

Sean n Krystal had a very nice day
https://www.instagram.com/fishinggeeks/

aahhh such is fishing

David:)

McLeod 05-13-2020 01:20 PM

Obed has had some winter kill EVERY year. No need to change from Browns but sure add a few Tigers for fun.

Dark Wing 05-13-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLeod (Post 4169441)
Obed has had some winter kill EVERY year. No need to change from Browns but sure add a few Tigers for fun.

Hey why not , I see they put 70,000 tigers in Blood Indian along with Browns and Brookies .

smitty9 05-13-2020 03:21 PM

Huh?

I am not sure 4 dead brown trout would trigger a major overhaul of how the lake is managed or stocked.

That said, as long as were spitballing here, I would leave browns in Obed, and stock some Tiger trout. Apparently they have the jaw structure - the ability and apparently the desire - to kill and eat perch. I'm talking bigger perch. I believe browns generally target small (very small) perch.

Can anyone confirm? Haven't read studies on that myself, so all I've heard is 3rd party hearsay (though its from people I generally trust as sources...)

As for rainbows...you could stock some brooders in there for kicks and giggles, much like they do for Cow.

Speaking of which, that is one fishery I'd like to see turned back into a rainbow trout fishery. I know (before someone chimes in) it was historically pike and perch, but, for a while, it was THE place to fish for rainbow trout.

Too bad...in that area, Beaver, Mitchell, Phyllis - but especially Beaver - could use some relief from the circus gong show crowds on that lake. Cow would be ideal.

McLeod 05-13-2020 03:43 PM

Tigers will eat perch. Lots of dace minnows in Obed

sendmethem 05-14-2020 07:57 AM

Good to know that lake has some winterkill. I wasn't sure.

I did catch a 16" rainbow there a week ago. Not sure how that got in there, my guess would be a mistake during the time of stocking?

Interesting lake though, I will be back.

McLeod 05-14-2020 08:03 AM

That's possible but there used to be Rainbows and Brook trout and there are inlets so who know.Nature is a mad scientist ! And back in the 80's there were a few ?

coachman 05-14-2020 09:39 AM

If you go to the creek where it runs out of Summit there are lots of small Rainbows, It is possible they could get up the creek to the lake.

WinefredCommander 05-14-2020 09:54 AM

Guess the GEEKS have poor release protocols!

SamSteele 05-24-2020 10:21 PM

Proof that they aren’t dead.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...19456a83e8.jpg

HuyFishin 05-24-2020 11:37 PM

Why so small?? :)