Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What's everyone's cleaning/media choice for cleaning brass?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365919)

cfnewfie 06-28-2019 01:19 PM

What's everyone's cleaning/media choice for cleaning brass??

For tumbling I use ground walnut lizard bedding from the pet store with a dollop of Simoniz scratch remover for a nice shine.
For the ultrasonic I use 20%/80% vinegar to water with a tsp of dawn then rinse in cold water and into the food dehydrator for an hour

Dick284 06-28-2019 01:32 PM

I snagged a ripped bag of walnut blasting media from work a long time ago, it works awesome...... I might run out in about 47 years.

Dubious 06-28-2019 01:41 PM

Stainless wet tumble hot water a shake of lemishine and a splash of dawn leave in for desired clean up to 3.5 hrs if you have really dirty range brass and it comes out like new even the primer pockets and flash holes and inside then Into the dehydrator on low for a few hours to dry it all off.

double gun 06-28-2019 02:11 PM

Same as Dubious, I built a wet tumbler a few years ago, just water, a shot of soap and teaspoon of lemishine. I just let mine dry on a towel for a day or two.

marky_mark 06-28-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 3995016)
Stainless wet tumble hot water a shake of lemishine and a splash of dawn leave in for desired clean up to 3.5 hrs if you have really dirty range brass and it comes out like new even the primer pockets and flash holes and inside then Into the dehydrator on low for a few hours to dry it all off.

Same for me
Only down side is you have to make sure you chamfer the necks after

fordtruckin 06-28-2019 04:56 PM

Just a boring regular old tumbler and walnut media for me. The dust afterwards is annoying but in the grand scheme o things it takes me only a couple minutes extra to wipe them down.

singleshotom 06-29-2019 05:50 PM

Cleaner

Warm water lil dawn, lemon shine, sis pins. 3 or so hours rinse good in hot water using a flour sifter! Catches all the pins dry over night. Still the quickest, fastest, least bs!
Sst

6MT 06-30-2019 07:51 PM

Stainless steel pins, water, lemi-shine, dishwashing soap. Two hours in a Thumlers Tumbler. Air dry over night.

Nothing fancy. It just works.

NinjaHunter 06-30-2019 08:07 PM

Just walnut from Princess Auto

barsik 06-30-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtruckin (Post 3995062)
Just a boring regular old tumbler and walnut media for me. The dust afterwards is annoying but in the grand scheme o things it takes me only a couple minutes extra to wipe them down.

that dust is more than annoying, it contains mercury fulminate from the spent primers.

Hunt4Ever 07-01-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 3995042)
Same for me
Only down side is you have to make sure you chamfer the necks after

Yep

obsessed1 07-01-2019 07:19 AM

I have an ultra sonic, wet tumbler with pins, and an old lyman magnum tumbler. 9/10 times it's the old lymans that gets brass poured in. As I am not a fan of any of the drying methods I have tried. I have used the walnut media's ( pet store and shooting specific varieties) and also the corn cob media. Currently in using the cob media with some flux added in once in a while. Strips of dryer sheets thrown in collect the majority of the dust and I've never had much issue.

W00DY 07-01-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 3995016)

x2
Really happy with my Frankford arsenal wet tumbler.

cfnewfie 07-02-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

I was also getting annoyed by the dust so i started tossing them in water give em a shake then into the dehydrator

Arctic 07-02-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Add a tablespoon or two of Mineral Spirits to your media, ......will clean better, and no dust!

teledogs 07-03-2019 07:47 AM

I use SS pins now and really like the results. A little dawn and 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid and the brass looks like new.
When using corn cob or walnut media I would add a bounce sheet cut into 1" squares and this helped with the dust too.

Subaru297 07-09-2019 02:10 PM

Has anyone tried rice in the tumbler? I watched a youtube video on it a while ago and it looks like a good option. I bought a bag of dollar store rice to try but haven't had to clean anything since.

Cheers

sapsk 07-20-2019 08:45 AM

I heard Coca Cola cleans brass very well, haven't tried it myself.

bat119 07-20-2019 09:38 AM

I decap and tumble with SS pins with a little dawn and citric acid, I don't like putting dirty brass in my resizing dies or getting walnut shells in my flash holes.