Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Marten trapping (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=334893)

Camdec 12-06-2017 10:22 PM

Marten trapping

Put a little more than a dozen boxes out last weekend and had our first check this evening. Picked up 4. 2 adults 2 juveniles. Off to a good start for our little area.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b14c82dec6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ceeafe9160.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expedition 12-06-2017 10:35 PM

Awesome

Flight01 12-06-2017 10:57 PM

That’s awesome

How do you like
The North Woods 155?

HunterDave 12-06-2017 11:50 PM

Good job. I hope that you have a great season!

Camdec 12-07-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 3684061)
That’s awesome

How do you like
The North Woods 155?

Thanks.

I have a mixed bag. I prefer the belisle 160. As long as you don't push the conibear into the box as far as it can go it doesn't "jump" forward at the animal, so most of my catches have been single bar at the neck.

Big Grey Wolf 12-07-2017 11:52 AM

marten

Nice dark brown colors, large 1 and 2X ones should bring good price on NAFA sale. What area of the province are you trapping? Well done!

Camdec 12-07-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3684315)
Nice dark brown colors, large 1 and 2X ones should bring good price on NAFA sale. What area of the province are you trapping? Well done!

Alberta

Big Grey Wolf 12-08-2017 10:07 AM

Camdec, do not be a smart a__. I notice you are trapping in smaller aspen/polar. I am RFMA trapper and like to study how aspen/mixed boreal areas compare to pine, white spruce, back spruce forest for marten numbers. I was not asking for your LSD , just some general idea of WMU or even trapping district, town you are near would be fine.

Flight01 12-08-2017 10:44 AM

BGW,

For your info I have the most marten catch on transition areas. For example I have a lot of skeg on my east side. The poplar, spruce ridge above the spruce bog is a great producer. Better than out on the spruce bog
The reverse is true on my west side which is Hills. The lower wet areas with spruce, or the sandy pine sections on the poplar Hills were better than straight up poplar beds.

Hope that helps.

And most of my fishers are caught in the spruce bogs, below ridges.

Camdec 12-08-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3684940)
Camdec, do not be a smart a__. I notice you are trapping in smaller aspen/polar. I am RFMA trapper and like to study how aspen/mixed boreal areas compare to pine, white spruce, back spruce forest for marten numbers. I was not asking for your LSD , just some general idea of WMU or even trapping district, town you are near would be fine.

Whoops. Sorry BGW. I actually didn’t see you asked area. Though just province. I’m near Peace River. You are correct. Mainly poplar, but I tend to set around spruce. Mainly just to use the overhead bows as a snow shelter.

nube 12-08-2017 01:01 PM

My best areas are near spruce bogs. Big pines don't seem to do so well for me and I don't have much success in poplar areas.

Big Grey Wolf 12-09-2017 07:10 AM

Our line is all lodge pole pine with some limited areas of black spruce. I find very poor catch numbers in black spruce/bog areas. PS Camdec I grew up in Peace Country so know your area well.

Flight01 12-11-2017 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Neat paws on this one

Big Grey Wolf 12-17-2017 10:52 AM

Camdec, how are your marten numbers holding up with the warm weather? We started adding liver to our bait and numbers for each trap check of both marten and even fisher went way up.

Camdec 12-17-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3690675)
Camdec, how are your marten numbers holding up with the warm weather? We started adding liver to our bait and numbers for each trap check of both marten and even fisher went way up.

Picked up a couple more Wednesday, but shut out today. A nice day to get out though. Even had the boss along for a check.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73ebd8336a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D4l3k 12-17-2017 08:07 PM

We were up to 17 marten on 80 boxes in the first 5 weeks of the season

We are now around 100 boxes and only picked up 1 in the last 2 weeks of warm weather

We did a full rebait on everything this weekend and the temp is supposed to drop for Xmas so hopefully it picks up again

Historically on our line, november early December was always when we caught the majority of our marten

Catching plenty of flying squirrels tho, wish they would go fly around else where :) seems we are over run with flying squirrels this year, which is a first for me

Flight01 12-17-2017 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WARM weather isn’t producing for me.
Was getting much more movement prior to this warm spell.
1 marten today on 30 boxes.
Very little sign too. Had a couple fisher hanging around before the warm weather came in. Now I’m not sure where they’re at. Hope the cold weather gets them moving. I’ve also found that frigid cold -35 or lower is not great for movement either. Is this a fact or just my limited observation. ?

Another marten with pretty white feet. Is this normal or am I just noticing this now?

wolfcrazy 12-18-2017 08:21 AM

I always see a slowdown on the marten movement and catches from mid December to mid January. Not sure what causes it but it has been a trend I’ve noticed over the years.

Big Grey Wolf 12-18-2017 09:16 AM

marten

Flight, we picked up a white foot marten last check as well, Interesting color.

Flight01 12-18-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3691315)
Flight, we picked up a white foot marten last check as well, Interesting color.

This is my second one. Man are they ever nice. I mean a prime marten is a nice animal but the white feet would make for a nice mount. But I will take the easy way and turn him into a $100+ pelt.
Both of my white foot marten were adult males.