Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Athabasca hunting prospects (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=359840)

Tigrr 02-23-2019 08:49 AM

Athabasca hunting prospects

What can I expect to find around Athabasca. Any moose, black bear? That's what is in my freezer. Might go for my first elk if I can get a draw somewhere. Might have to get back into goose hunting to keep me in protein.

Is there a gun club around Athabasca somewhere? I do a fair amount of shooting.
thanks in advance
either post info or pm it to me.

stubblejumper01 02-23-2019 10:18 AM

Moose,black bear,whitetail and mule deer,and elk. Cow elk will be on draw but you can get a general bull tag for 3 point or better that is valid in the majority of zones in the area and province.Moose and mule deer are also on draw.

catnthehat 02-23-2019 10:32 AM

There is a good gun club there as well
Cat

stubblejumper01 02-23-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3935932)
There is a good gun club there as well
Cat

I think there is also a skeet shooting club too.
And they have a pretty good hunting supply store called Cheap Seats. Locally owned and they treat you right. Lots of good info for the area.

Sooner 02-23-2019 11:11 AM

Every game animal is up that way, depending on what direction you go, draws and farmland come into play. Other direction, endless crown land muskeg HE double LL :). Bear hunting must be good, couple outfitters have lots of bait sites. Moose and deer numbers have took a hit the last few years. Elk are in the farmland, permission tough to get.

Been hunting North of Calling lake for 20 + years. Was real good, now going through some tough times, skinny game numbers but the last sled ride through my zone was promising with tracks and sign so maybe a slight turn around has begun. Further north you go, the more competition from non licenced, year round hunters.

honda610 02-23-2019 01:21 PM

Lots of people hunt or have family hunt on private land. Did you move here or just looking for a new place to hunt? Access can be very tough in places. And if access is easy then it's a parking lot. Crown land is super busy. Everything is on draw except elk, bear, whitetail deer and mule doe in archery. Moose is a few years for a tag and mule deer is a long wait. We also get a huge crowd from the Fort mac east coast hunting society.....as well as alot from Edmonton. If you get access treat the land owner with the utmost respect. It's a small community word spreads very fast.

Good luck

Big Grey Wolf 02-24-2019 08:32 AM

Athabasca

A few zones around Athabasca are top moose producing zones in Alberta. Most are near farm areas where wolves and bears cannot eat the calves. If you want info send me a PM.