Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cant wait for ice season (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371612)

RACKER 10-30-2019 09:32 PM

Cant wait for ice season

I was wondering if anyone else is getting excited for getting out on the ice.Last year it seemed to take forever to get out and it was sketchy at first.I always enjoy an afternoon relaxing waiting for my jawjacker to snap up!I almost always fish Pigeon and I met alot of new people last year that shared alot of info.Be safe out there and have a great season.If you happen to see a honda quad parked next to a Eskimo quickfish tent dont hesitate to stop by.

Scott N 10-31-2019 03:17 AM

I'm looking forward to ice fishing again this season too. It's kind of fishing purgatory right now... lakes are starting to freeze, bodies of water are starting to close, and it will be a while before there's safe ice to fish on. Thank goodness for hunting season lol

ShortsideK 10-31-2019 05:05 AM

"I was wondering if anyone else is getting excited for getting out on the ice."

No.

58thecat 10-31-2019 05:51 AM

All oiler fans ice fish...not much to watch game wise as they slunk into a hole...so an ice hole is the therapy.:)

:thinking-006:

SNAPFisher 10-31-2019 06:48 AM

I feel the weather robbed us a bit on the open water this summer so I find myself wishing it would last...

It is going to be an early ice season this year. Yesterday the surface temp at Sylvan measured 34.5 degrees. Gull lake was half frozen over. Especially in those more shallow bays, which there is a lot of on that lake. With the temps taking a huge nose dive next week....won't be long. Opening day at Sylvan and Gull should be solid.

Bigwoodsman 10-31-2019 12:57 PM

Yes, I am anxiously waiting for ice fishing season. I reluctantly hung up the long rod for this year, but if we get some nice weather I might find myself wading the North Raven one more time this year.

I tent is set, started tying some wire worms. I'll be ready for opening weekend on Sylvan this year.

BW

pinelakeperch 10-31-2019 01:52 PM

Counting down the days! Next year will bring more opportunities as my little one will be old enough to join us or stay at grandma and grandpa's.

swampy45 10-31-2019 01:52 PM

100% fully prepared to get out on the ice. Just need some more of it! Ha.

mapleleafman3 11-01-2019 10:48 AM

Almost ready. Need to go through all my gear and make sure it's up to snuff.

Can't wait to hit the ice.

CasterBlaster 11-01-2019 11:32 AM

I just hope the snow holds off until after a good temperature plunge of at least a few weeks. Last year we had so much snow so early on that it acted as an insulator and the ice was very poor everywhere.

RACKER 11-01-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterBlaster (Post 4048820)
I just hope the snow holds off until after a good temperature plunge of at least a few weeks. Last year we had so much snow so early on that it acted as an insulator and the ice was very poor everywhere.

I agree 100 percent. Sucked waiting so long to get out last year.

Dewey Cox 11-01-2019 12:38 PM

I was looking for deer this morning, and thought I should kick a hole in a dugout so they could get a drink.
Ice was too thick to kick through.
Ice season will be here before we know it.

35 whelen 11-01-2019 12:40 PM

Forecast up by Grande cache is -18 the next few days for the Low's

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Zip-in-Z 11-01-2019 05:31 PM

I'm already dreaming of Troutville!

D.

fish99 11-01-2019 08:34 PM

winterized the boat today , getting the auger tuned up tomorrow

CanadianFisherman 11-04-2019 01:27 PM

I'm fully ready, gear organized and ready, fuel for the auger, bait in freezer haha. Not being a boat owner myself, summer fishing looses it's appeal and I start itching for the ice again. I usually start hitting up smaller and narrower lakes as they tend to ice over first but I think my yearly peppers lake trip will be spent somewhere else this year. Stay safe out there!

Poppa 11-04-2019 01:38 PM

December 11th (I think that's the date) will be here before we know it...

kilgoretrout 11-04-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4048123)
I feel the weather robbed us a bit on the open water this summer so I find myself wishing it would last...

It is going to be an early ice season this year. Yesterday the surface temp at Sylvan measured 34.5 degrees. Gull lake was half frozen over. Especially in those more shallow bays, which there is a lot of on that lake. With the temps taking a huge nose dive next week....won't be long. Opening day at Sylvan and Gull should be solid.

Could not agree more as for being robbed by the late run-off/rain and cold fall/early winter.... got out one last time on Sat for a float and put the boats to bed ..... on the plus side last trout of the day took an Olive on top..... Time to get something for the freezer now that we have snow.....

CanadianFisherman 11-07-2019 04:10 PM

For the die hards, some lakes don't close in the fall and being smaller they tend to freeze quicker. Plus all the stock ponds stay open.

Mr Flyguy 11-07-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFisherman (Post 4052319)
For the die hards, some lakes don't close in the fall and being smaller they tend to freeze quicker. Plus all the stock ponds stay open.

Huh? There are some trout ponds that are NO ice fishing.

dryflyguy 11-08-2019 10:36 AM

I haven't ice fished in 3 years. I'm really hoping to get out in the New Year, would love to take my 6 y/o for his first ice fishing trip. I think he's finally ready to last a few hours on the ice lol

Just have to make it happen!