Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Yote charge (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312989)

jeffreys 21234 01-21-2017 12:21 AM

Yote charge

So down settin snares tonight see a yote hundred yards off an of course. No
Gun keep on my business set a dozen more walk out bottom of the river onto the flat wide open an this yote is no fifty yards watch for a while
Took pics he still wouldn't budge but started to flare up so I yell at him
Next thing u know he's comen towards me I have my lil sledge hammer in one hand and a snare ancor in other then at twenty feet inkick dirt at him n
He buggers off wats ur guys option on this situation

3blade 01-21-2017 02:25 AM

Few years back: A pack of 7 attempted to circle me as I walked out from my stand one sept night. Arrow in one hand, knife in the other, I cut the lead dog off from the pack and chased him across the field. They get stupid sometimes. The key is be meaner then they are. Pretty well always carry a gun now, even if it's just a 22. Could have had yourself an extra yote.

HunterDave 01-21-2017 02:58 AM

I'd yell, "Bad dog! Bad dog! Go away!". (Thank's Marty's)

First, did you have a deer costume on? If not:

Best to curl up into a ball into the fetal position because you're done if a 30# coyote puts you on the menu.....especially during a super moon!

You definitely wouldn't want a mini sledge in your hand.....best to throw that in the bush and get rid of it ASAP!

jawa 01-21-2017 06:15 AM

Probly a teritorial thing getting close to mating season warm weather will sometimes start them early.
Stand big make noise and dont back down its a dog not a bear
One thing to remember is rabies beginning stages there is no visible signs ie foaming from mouth staggering etc , but they loose there fear get aggressive
hammer will put them down just fine in a pinch but would definatly be packing a gun from now on

Flight01 01-21-2017 07:55 AM

Some animals will behave differently than expected.
A single dog is not too worrisome but get a few together and it doesn't feel too comfortable. Carry some sort of gun. I guess one of the smallest repeating arms you can legally carry would be a Mares Leg or ranch hand in 22 or 22 mag.
At 20 feet a 22 would have done the job easy.
You were setting snares this time , when you check snares what gun do you bring along?

Tfng 01-21-2017 08:39 AM

You could have let him take a small nibble, it'd be a good argument for an Atc. It would be harder to argue against if you can point out a few scars. I jest somewhat but I'd like to be able to carry a pistol.

58thecat 01-21-2017 08:45 AM

Hand to hand combat!
Cave his head in and then tell an awesome story.:)

I always have the 10/22 with me minimal.
Shot a few over the years that were just outright aggressive...one on one is ok still scarey though but man when you get three running around you running in and out the little 22 sure puts calm to the chaos.

catnthehat 01-21-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 (Post 3448917)
So down settin snares tonight see a yote hundred yards off an of course. No
Gun keep on my business set a dozen more walk out bottom of the river onto the flat wide open an this yote is no fifty yards watch for a while
Took pics he still wouldn't budge but started to flare up so I yell at him
Next thing u know he's comen towards me I have my lil sledge hammer in one hand and a snare ancor in other then at twenty feet inkick dirt at him n
He buggers off wats ur guys option on this situation

You need to get him close - close enough for the hammer!:bad_boys_20:
Seriously though , a .22 is light and works well fir that stuff
Cat

jeffreys 21234 01-21-2017 10:49 AM

Lol hunter dave that was good laugh this morn yea was chattin with s buddy this morn he also figured territorial just was a different experince that's forsure

HunterDave 01-21-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 (Post 3449154)
Lol hunter dave that was good laugh this morn yea was chattin with s buddy this morn he also figured territorial just was a different experince that's forsure

Yeah, I can be a sarcastic SOB sometimes. :sign0013: Glad to see that you have a sense of humour. :)

That type of incident is highly unusual and I would find it concerning as well. The immediate thing that comes to my mind is RABIES! Animals lose their natural fear of man and become aggressive. Territory or not, the coyotes around here run and will quickly vacate the area when you come across them. There's a lot of hunting pressure here so that helps to instill the fear of man in them.

It was probably a once in a lifetime incident but if you have a crazy coyote in your area I'd definitely carry a rifle with me......maybe even something like a .223 so you could shoot him at a distance if you see him. :sign0111:

jeffreys 21234 01-21-2017 01:02 PM

Yea I usally have my gun with 2506 so distance isn't a issue it's my oldest daughter bday today turned the. Big ten or else I'd be out there either trying to call him in or just spot Ann stalk em so tommrow I'll be out there looking for him wife made joke that maybe he wasn't the yote I callin an missed last week an he wanted revenge. Lol

HunterDave 01-21-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 (Post 3449312)
Yea I usally have my gun with 2506 so distance isn't a issue it's my oldest daughter bday today turned the. Big ten or else I'd be out there either trying to call him in or just spot Ann stalk em so tommrow I'll be out there looking for him wife made joke that maybe he wasn't the yote I callin an missed last week an he wanted revenge. Lol

Here's another theory to think about......Maybe he was a hybrid Coydog, a mix of coyote and dog. A coyote without the natural fear of man from being part dog might explain the odd behavior. Just putting that out there.....

Thunder/FX 01-21-2017 01:20 PM

Did it have a pink ribbon on it?

jeffreys 21234 01-21-2017 01:39 PM

No pink ribbon lol

HunterDave 01-21-2017 01:46 PM

If he's a man eater, hang a whole bunch of snares up around you like the legendary "Wall of Death" and just use yourself as bait!

Call out, "Here nice Puppy. Come to Daddy." :)

jeffreys 21234 01-21-2017 01:50 PM

Could be part chupacabra the goat sucker lol

shakeyleg02 01-21-2017 02:52 PM

If you get into a hand to hand combat make sure you get video ..i would watch that :)

jeffreys 21234 01-25-2017 07:17 PM

Well the river is now safe n clear of the man eating yote caught him cuttin threw a draw this evening an the ol trusty 25 showed him whose boss thanks every one for the kungfu an yote fighting tips

HunterDave 01-26-2017 11:54 PM

Ya got him, eh? :sHa_shakeshout: The woods are much safer now. :)

Thunder Elk Hunter 01-27-2017 01:45 PM

Just watch when that happen as there is one ever now again that has rabies.

Dean2 01-31-2017 12:54 PM

Now you've done it. His relates are going to declare an all out Jihad on the infidel. Watch out for Acme crates, they are probably ordering the stuff for IEDs as we speak.:sHa_shakeshout:

Good job smokin his butt!!

jeffreys 21234 01-31-2017 03:08 PM

Dean holy did that make me bust a gut laughen if I see an acme crates i will be sure to steer clear think might go try doin some more callin this weekend take his posse out first I'll show them who's boss of the river bottom

Coiloil37 02-01-2017 02:18 PM

I got charged by one about ten years ago. We saw each other at about 50 yards and he started running at me, I missed the first shot, reloaded and put the second one in him at about 10-15 feet. He was covered in mange and scabs, hardly had any hair on him at all. I don't know if he had rabies but it was unnerving. It's just another good reason to pack a gun.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham 02-01-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3449300)
That type of incident is highly unusual and I would find it concerning as well. The immediate thing that comes to my mind is RABIES! Animals lose their natural fear of man and become aggressive.

Nah it's not rabies. :bad_boys_20: These things are caused by no Hunting zones such as canada's national parks system!

Your initial advice was no joke, it was correct! Also don't forget to cut your own guts open so it's easier for animals to eat you. The blade must be no more than 1.5" in total length (as this is the size studies have shown is the largest size of genitalia attached to antis/lieberals et al who promote such systems of thought. Another study has shown that those suckas are in fact, ball-less and have no spirit).

LOL!!!!

Now, now... Can't be all that uncommon as we have many reports right here alone. That doesn't even include many famous stories of Coyote attacks such as the Woman that was actually killed by yotes.

As for me? Nothing to close to actually being attacked. Had a couple come in whining with hunger pains and sounding like any other begging pooch when doing up a Deer this past year though... It was after dark so I didn't bring them in/make a play for them.

KegRiver 02-02-2017 12:50 AM

If it were mid spring I'd say territorial behavior, protecting a den with pups.

This time of year I'd suspect rabies.

That's one of the key symptoms. The infected animal looses all natural fears.

With high fox and Skunk populations it is something to consider. And the higher those two populations the greater the concern.

Of course it could just be a Coyote some tree hugger has been feeding.
Either way, not an animal I would trust.