Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where to buy fresh octopus in Calgary?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343274)

4pointswest 04-17-2018 02:40 PM

Where to buy fresh octopus in Calgary??

Does anybody know of a good place to buy fresh octopus here in town? I'm sure there's a few stores out there who have it but i haven't had any luck through billingsgate or boyds... any other suggestions?

Gray Wolf 04-17-2018 06:03 PM

Try Google

Link - https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.-CX8oVByFJI

Okotok 04-17-2018 06:08 PM

T & t

CaberTosser 04-18-2018 08:22 AM

I would echo the recommendation of T&T Market, they’re an Asian foods specialty market, all manner of seafood there. Somemthings I see shopping’s there reminds me of the one line in Rambo where Col Troutman was saying Rambo was trained “to eat things that would make a billy goat puke”.

Ken07AOVette 04-18-2018 09:31 AM

Just out of curiosity, how do you prepare them from fresh? I have caught them in Rupert, and very carefully 'unhooked' them trying to cause as little damage as possible while not letting them 'have the boat'. First reason is I don't want ink on the boat or me, second is when they get latched onto the boat it is apparently more than difficult to get them to give it back.
I could bring you a couple if I knew what to do with them, possibly?

https://s19.postimg.cc/fj3eu06mb/octopus.jpg

bonedogg 04-18-2018 09:39 AM

crowfoot safeway had one on Sunday.

Okotok 04-18-2018 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=Ken07AOVette;3772691]Just out of curiosity, how do you prepare them from fresh? I have caught them in Rupert, and very carefully 'unhooked' them trying to cause as little damage as possible while not letting them 'have the boat'. First reason is I don't want ink on the boat or me, second is when they get latched onto the boat it is apparently more than difficult to get them to give it back.
I could bring you a couple if I knew what to do with them, possibly?

Par-boiled and grilled they're delicious. Here's one recipe I've used before.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...us-recipe.html

tool 04-18-2018 11:47 AM

Fresh, Octopus and Calgary seem like words seldom found together in a sentence. Are they sold live like lobster or are they just chilled and on a styrofoam tray or something?

Ken07AOVette 04-18-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotok (Post 3772730)

Par-boiled and grilled they're delicious. Here's one recipe I've used before.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...us-recipe.html

How do you kill it and process it for transport?
I could Google it just wondering how you like it done

WildCats 04-18-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3772812)

You use your teeth and break the neck area behind the head. Kills them instantly and they immediately turn white.

WC

RavYak 04-18-2018 01:44 PM

I highly doubt that there is any place that sells fresh octopus in Alberta. Frozen octopus is preferred(even in places where fresh is available) as it helps with the tenderizing process. Even the websites that sell fresh fish and deliver it straight to your door only sell frozen octopus(just checked a few).

buckbrush 04-18-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCats (Post 3772833)
You use your teeth and break the neck area behind the head. Kills them instantly and they immediately turn white.

WC

You bite it?

Drewski Canuck 04-18-2018 02:29 PM

Wildcats is just having some fun with you.

Take the Gaff and gaff it through the eye. That is where the brain is located in the head.

We hooked a giant one a few years back and the Guide did not know what to do, and frankly was afraid of it. So were we.

Having eaten Octopus, it seems the best approach is after it is dead, wash it, then take a wooden mallet and tenderize its tentacles, seriously.

tentacles sliced in rings and fried in a light oil with teriyaki sauce is pretty deadly.

Don't know what you do with the head though, ...

Drewski

buckbrush 04-18-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3772867)

Take the Gaff and gaff it through the eye. That is where the brain is located in the head.

We hooked a giant one a few years back and the Guide did not know what to do, and frankly was afraid of it. So were we.

Having eaten Octopus, it seems the best approach is after it is dead, wash it, then take a wooden mallet and tenderize its tentacles, seriously.

tentacles sliced in rings and fried in a light oil with teriyaki sauce is pretty deadly.

Drewski

That's what I figured but I looked it up on youtube. It's a thing...

Head Lice 04-18-2018 02:35 PM

We've stopped all octopus shipments to Alberta ..... :)

Okotok 04-18-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

I've actually only ever bought frozen.

Joe Black 04-18-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Lice (Post 3772874)

You 'll be sorry.

Gonna take you to court

Okotok 04-18-2018 06:37 PM

Threw the last of mine on the ice at the last Flames game. Might have been in the wrong building though!

Iskra 04-18-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

I catch mine at Sunshine Coast. First one I have caught was sitting in my prawn trap together with 6 prawn shells. I have a small plastic barrel now and use crab and prawn scraps. I kill it with knife through the eye. Do not open the "head" if you want to eat it. Thats where the ink is, do it at fish cleaning station. Cooking, youtube is your friend.

Iskra 04-18-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Lice (Post 3772874)

Only think BC can stop is a pipe line. Raw sewer dumping to waters they are claiming to protect and coal to China in order to keep world CO2 and pollution emissions at BC levels is OK. LOL

WildCats 04-18-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Drewski

Hahaha I'm dead serious, a guide in Hawaii showed me how to coax one from a hole in the reef and kill it. Ate some and used some for bait.

WC

Head Lice 04-18-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iskra (Post 3772982)
Only think BC can stop is a pipe line. Raw sewer dumping to waters they are claiming to protect and coal to China in order to keep world CO2 and pollution emissions at BC levels is OK. LOL

No cherries either ......
we're keeping our fruit here. :)

Peter Abelard 04-18-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3772691)
Just out of curiosity, how do you prepare them from fresh? I have caught them in Rupert, and very carefully 'unhooked' them trying to cause as little damage as possible while not letting them 'have the boat'.

Incredible.

Now THAT is a fish tale!

Peter Abelard 04-18-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 3772872)
That's what I figured but I looked it up on youtube. It's a thing...

What would we do without the internet?

I never liked ocotopus as a kid, but this thread is making me wanna try again.

MountainTi 04-18-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Drewski

Lived in Greece for a while when I was a young kid (Dad working in Saudi). Ate octopus over there. All I remember about them (was 5 at the time) was the old fishermen pulling them out of the boat and beating the hell out of them on the rocks to tenderize them. And how the tentacles would squirm around in the frying pan when thrown in.

Ken07AOVette 04-19-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Abelard (Post 3773056)
Incredible.

Now THAT is a fish tale!

(Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you prepare them from fresh? I have caught them in Rupert, and very carefully 'unhooked' them trying to cause as little damage as possible while not letting them 'have the boat'.)

I don't know how many times I have read your reply, but it does not make sense. Were you attempting to reply to someone else, or what?