Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stuck or abandoned vehicles (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=200911)

FishingMOM 12-03-2013 06:31 AM

Stuck or abandoned vehicles

Who is dodging stuck or abandoned vehicles in their neighbourhoods?
From my back window I can see 3 abandoned vehicles so who knows how I am going to get out of my parking area.

Then it remains to be seen if I can even get into the shop yard at work.

dumoulin 12-03-2013 06:54 AM

I was supposed to take 200 grade nine kids to Calgary today. Sure glad we mad the call to cancel yesterday!

dodger 12-03-2013 07:06 AM

Stuck vehicles everywhere. Drove out to Foothills Industrial at 4 a.m. and there are semi's stuck on the turnoffs due to drifts. I have a 4X4 and it was barely making it down any East - West street due to drifts. I called my workers and told them to stay home.

Dodger.

kevinhits 12-03-2013 07:20 AM

Neighbour and I just pushed a van out the snow drifts..you could see the drifts down the road but he still decided to try...Good Grief:)

flyguyd 12-03-2013 07:22 AM

Its nasty down south too. Be safe out there

gitrdun 12-03-2013 07:22 AM

Definitely will avoid the big city. But, I have to visit a compressor site near Cochrane. My plan is to go thru Black Diamond, out to the 22x and on through Bragg Creek. Does anyone know of the conditions out that way?

bubba 96 12-03-2013 07:23 AM

Was trying to leave at 615, neighbor across the street stuck, get him out go around the corner two cars stuck, got email from work saying stay at home pushed the other guys back in their driveway, and turned around went home...

MrDave 12-03-2013 07:25 AM

Innisfail

I can't even get out of my neighborhood. Got stuck before I made one block. So trapped in for another day. Good luck to those in small cars.

Redfrog 12-03-2013 07:30 AM

Anyone know what Stettler is like? How about #12 from the Sask border to Stettler?

Silverado04 12-03-2013 07:33 AM

Hwy 2 Airdrie to downtown commute was not bad today, actually made really good time...

Getting out of my neighborhood was the sketchy bit... In a tall truck with new all-terrains. Do not recommend leaving in a small car!

Lots of cars stuck in snow drifts in town and in the ditches. But the hwy is not tooooo bad right now. The fellas did a hell of a good job in the plows and sanders last night!

FishingMOM 12-03-2013 09:18 AM

Well got around the 5 fools in my complex.
Around 2 more stuck on My main road at 52nd st
Made it around the 10 others on 52nd.
Got down 94th around a semi and 2 others......... Got to the shop there is 4-5 foot high drifts........
Parked on the road and stinky and I hoofed it into the shop.
10 of us made it to work out of 40 staff.
Had a customer sitting in my office waiting for my CEO.
Got stuff done for client and saw him walk back to road........

Stinky is running my parts department....... or is he playing on the computer?:sHa_shakeshout:
Either way I have time to get paperwork done....... will be leaving after lunch..... early.

Hearing the tow truck waiting list is 24-36 hours long in Calgary.... So hope you dont get stuck.

p.s. ........ I dont have snow tires....... but I drive an old heavy car!

Au revoir, Gopher 12-03-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingMOM (Post 2221656)
I dont have snow tires....... but I drive an old heavy car!

Plus you have Stinky to push :)

ARG

Scottmisfits 12-03-2013 09:40 AM

I came out from my place in my car. I left the truck for the wife. It took me about 5 minutes to get to the end of the block and then it was good from 130th and 52nd right to work at the Shepard Energy Center. About 15 minutes after I left the house, the wife messaged me saying she was told to stay home today.

slough shark 12-03-2013 10:05 AM

I'm sick today so my wife took the truck after she got stuck (got her back in) backing out of the garage in her 2wd suv. Good thing too as she said there was no way she would be getting out without the truck...

fish gunner 12-03-2013 11:06 AM

Push out list:molly maid ×1
Volvo estate ×1
Honda civic ×1
Big dodge ×1 lost a fight with a good drift.
Always willing to help.:)

Okotokian 12-03-2013 11:13 AM

Listening to the radio on the drive in and they said there as a "tow ban" on, no towtrucks allowed on the roads and if you are stuck expect to be there a long long time. TOW BAN after a blizzard, when tow trucks are most needed????? I don't get it.

full_throttle 12-03-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 2221808)
Listening to the radio on the drive in and they said there as a "tow ban" on, no towtrucks allowed on the roads and if you are stuck expect to be there a long long time. TOW BAN after a blizzard, when tow trucks are most needed????? I don't get it.

Ya and I don't get why people driving the 2 wheel drive suv's and rice burners think that they can make it through a 2ft drift. Just can't fix stupid.
:angry3:

SammyIam 12-03-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

They usually do this when they figure the tow trucks are just going to get stuck too.

Ken07AOVette 12-03-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Some jackwagon with a certificate or a badge thinks he/she knows whats best for everyone. Ridiculous.

Okotokian 12-03-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyIam (Post 2221820)
They usually do this when they figure the tow trucks are just going to get stuck too.

I would have thought that would be the decision of the tow truck driver or owner, given their area and vehicle capability. Different if a road is closed, but if you and I can drive a certain road, seems crazy that a tow truck driver can't exercise the same right.

Clgy_Dave2.0 12-03-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingMOM (Post 2221656)
p.s. ........ I dont have snow tires....... but I drive an old heavy car!

Great contribution of poorly equiped vehicles to our already overloaded roadways in todays conditions. :rolleye2::snapoutofit:

Clgy_Dave2.0 12-03-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Unless this has changed within the last hour or so, this was Calgary Police's official statement:
Quote:

Calgary Police ‏@CalgaryPolice
Contrary to earlier reports, there is no tow ban in place within #yyc at this time. #yyctraffic

baitfisher83 12-03-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Dave (Post 2221828)
Great contribution of poorly equiped vehicles to our already overloaded roadways in todays conditions. :rolleye2::snapoutofit:

Oh come on now, that's not as bad as not risking your life to dig your car out of a mountain of snow, drive on already unsafe roads with idiots that have no winter driving skills, and obviously can't maneuver around these stranded cars. Even if I drove I wouldn't have tried to dig my car out of a snowbank to drive in this, I might be 8 1/2 months pregnant and not able to do much shoveling but still. No job is worth risking my life and others lives over.

FishingMOM 12-03-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Dave (Post 2221828)

Well it was the fancy pants in their SUV's and 4x4 trucks I was passing..... Oh and stuck semi's........ Yet I made it to work. Slow and steady, no need to rev the engine or try to go fast. Did a speedy 40km hr and I made it in just fine, through the drifts and whatnot.

Just because I dont drive a new fancy car, doesnt mean I dont know how to drive. Maybe people should learn to drive.

Clgy_Dave2.0 12-03-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingMOM (Post 2221934)
Well it was the fancy pants in their SUV's and 4x4 trucks I was passing..... Oh and stuck semi's........ Yet I made it to work. Slow and steady, no need to rev the engine or try to go fast. Did a speedy 40km hr and I made it in just fine, through the drifts and whatnot.

Just because I dont drive a new fancy car, doesnt mean I dont know how to drive. Maybe people should learn to drive.

Great for you. You got lucky.

No one cares about the age of the car. WINTER TIRES!!!!!

For the past two days the city of Calgary and the CPS have been hounding everyone, even WITH proper tires, to stay off the roads. But you decide that just because you have a big, heavy car, it's safe to travel these conditions with poor tires?

You were lucky.

bb356 12-03-2013 01:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iO__G64oY

MoFugger21 12-03-2013 01:13 PM

Pretty sure I'd be stuck at the end of my driveway if I attempted to drive into the street. Drive way had no snow, but there's a 2.5' drift in the street at the end of my drive way. Sigh. Not sure if our small town crew will plow the street or if I'll need to buck up and shovel the 10' long x 2.5' deep x 4' wide drift... Don't really feel like busting through it with our AWD SUV.... Gonna have to make that decision pretty soon though, haha.

FishingMOM 12-03-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Dave (Post 2221947)
Great for you. You got lucky.

No one cares about the age of the car. WINTER TIRES!!!!!

For the past two days the city of Calgary and the CPS have been hounding everyone, even WITH proper tires, to stay off the roads. But you decide that just because you have a big, heavy car, it's safe to travel these conditions with poor tires?

You were lucky.

So you personally sat home for the last 2 days?

trapshooter 12-03-2013 01:34 PM

Pulled out 2 vehicles already today on my street.

Roughneck12 12-03-2013 01:35 PM

Plows are getting stuck in RD. Lol