Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Surplus City Guns (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126977)

yvesj 03-26-2012 08:51 AM

Surplus City Guns

any one know about this store in galgary ab

CaberTosser 03-26-2012 09:05 AM

Just looked it up and found a website in Calgary (rather than galgary) Alberta. Never before heard of the place, and the website is horribly amateurish, even spelling their own company name as "Suplus" in at least one spot. Personally based on what little I could stand to read there I'd avoid it like the plague. A post office box in one of the sketchier areas of town and no storefront (claiming city laws prevent them from having walk-in clients:thinking-006:). If thats the case then how was ATRS doing business out of his house for the first number of years, right across the street from an elementary school no less?

Examples:

http://www.surpluscity.ca/webpages/F...uestions_7.cfm
http://www.surpluscity.ca/webpages/About_2.cfm

Caveat emptor

That they claim to have 2 warehouses is laughable. If one of them is in Saskatchewan then how on earth do they find it convenient to ship from each location with a 2 person staff? "Warehouses" probably translates to a garage in Calgary and a garden shed or shipping container in Saskatchewan....

Roughneck12 03-26-2012 09:41 AM

I ordered a sleeping bag frm them that was advertised as a US army sleeping system. It was a CF sleeping bag. I sent it back and eventually got a refund. I don't know if I would buy firearms from them, especially when there are so many other known businesses in Canada that have well established reputations.

yvesj 03-26-2012 10:38 AM

thank you for the info guy .
yes i did read about how they operate
not to impress at all .
but they do have a good price on the savaga 22 mag 13 barrel 280.00 free shipping .
but do they really have it in stock .
i just did receive a email from harvey telling that he has 2 in stock .
the price is ok for me .from 339.00 from a good name store compare to a store at 280.00 with a onknow name .??????

Big Daddy Badger 03-26-2012 11:05 AM

I think they've been around for a few years.

There must be some feedback on the www or at one of the consumer sites.

Deer Hunter 03-26-2012 11:25 AM

I bought an SVT 40 a while back from them, everything seemed fine. They were new, working out of their house/garage and were as good if not better than any other internet sale i had. They were a contributing dealer on CGN, but are no longer there, so maybe they packed it in. Too bad.

yvesj 03-26-2012 11:47 AM

thank .no they are still there because they did reply to in no time at all .
very fast reply anyway .
on the same gun i am saving 93.00 not bad if you ever get it .
they have price disference of 59.00 lower and no shipping
so if i go with the most expensive plus the 25.00 shipping charge that gave you 84.00 more for the same gun .
i did google to find some feed back but nothing turn up on them

ShawnM 03-26-2012 12:04 PM

Bilozir works the same way, out of his home, but for some reason I find it harder to trust this Surplus City company.

Will from Bilozir is a great ole' guy and I'd have zero problems buying new stuff from him when it comes time (Still have gobs of hulls, wads, and shot... His shot is about 1/2 the price of a box store).

fretman57 03-28-2012 04:41 PM

Galgary LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesj (Post 1363759)

I think I'll move to "Galgary" I might be able to get a date there!:scared0018:

crosman177 03-28-2012 09:25 PM

met these guys at the last Thorncliff show and bought case of .308 surplus off them. was very happy.

Grizzly Adams 03-28-2012 10:18 PM

First read the name of the web site on the back window of an SUV in Calgary. :lol: Googled it. Seems to be a very small time internet only store. Had some MREs I was interested in but never followed up.

Grizz

CaberTosser 03-28-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosman177 (Post 1368452)
met these guys at the last Thorncliff show and bought case of .308 surplus off them. was very happy.

How much and what origin on the .308? Maybe they'll have a table at the Easter show and a guy can get a feel for them there:thinking-006:

alpining 03-29-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesj (Post 1363759)

They seem as legit as any other small-scale faceless internet-based garage operation.

I can't be certain, but I suspect they are associated with Badger Arms in Sask. Badger has stated they have a 'warehouse' in Calgary.

I'd prefer to deal face to face, in any case (too many things to go wrong buying sight unseen). I am real tired of internet retailers selling items that they don't have in stock without being totally upfront with the customer. Maybe ask them if they'll be at the next gun show?

shr970 03-30-2012 01:33 AM

met them at thorncliff last year also, harvey was very respectful, bought some 9mm, they are only online i think. i was happy with there service. my 2cents

sillyak 03-30-2012 06:24 PM

I met Harvey. Appeared to be an honest guy, but I've never purchased anything from him.

If he is associated with Badger in any way I would not give him any of my business simply because of how many people Badger has defrauded.

crosman177 04-01-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 1368664)
How much and what origin on the .308? Maybe they'll have a table at the Easter show and a guy can get a feel for them there:thinking-006:

I hope they are at the show aswell, i'd support again. They had the unique Taurus .410 rifle shotgun too bad it is restricted.

The .308 was eastern Europe non corrosive zinc casing. $300 for 500 rounds i believe it was.

this stuff here,

http://sporteque.ca/img/p/1856-2076-large.jpg

winkerson 07-06-2013 01:00 PM

They are associated with Badger Arms from Melfort Sask. The gunsmith from Melfort partners with other small dealers to create multiple locations, increase buying power, and lower output costs. He has a storefront in both Melfort and Nipawin (Nipawin Gun and Tackle) and I believe Regina and Saskatoon. He explained to me that it costs the same to import 1 gun or 50 so the more ordered at 1 time the cheaper it made their products.