Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flames 2019/20 thread (With a new arena!!) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=367302)

Jamie 07-30-2019 05:09 PM

Flames 2019/20 thread (With a new arena!!)

A new season is upon us and with the City of Calgary Voting today 11-4 in favour of a new arena we shall kick this year off! Perhaps the only intelligent thing this council has ever done.

Great way to start the year and can not wait to see the new place.

As well, I am buying a 1/2 season set of tickets this year and will be looking to sell a chunk. Awesome row one seats in the 3rd level. Watch for them to come up. Anyone else have seats for this year?

This is going to be a very interesting season. We just signed Big Save Dave and somehow got stuck with Lucic. MT is needed to be signed and someone is about to get thrown over board as I think the Flames only have $4,000,000 in cap space right now. So obviously they are trying to drop some dead weight as we speak.

I am more than comfortable with our coaching staff and the the front office is a bit suspect right now but what the heck do I know.

Talking moose 07-30-2019 05:11 PM

2020 baby!

brslk 07-30-2019 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking forward to seeing Calgary's new arena!

Jamie 07-30-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4008164)
2020 baby!

It's coming. Dealing with those tickets today got me all amped up.

kevinhits 07-30-2019 05:59 PM

Too early:(

You and TM need to get out camping and fishing....hunt some gophers even:thinking-006:

Jamie 07-30-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinhits (Post 4008195)
Too early:(

You and TM need to get out camping and fishing....hunt some gophers even:thinking-006:

Nahhh. It was the season tickets and the new arena today!! Minor hockey starts in 3 weeks. I sure will miss that this year.

Unregistered user 07-30-2019 09:04 PM

Waste of my money

Jamie 07-30-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4008270)
Waste of my money

Not at all.Easy way out of it though. Move to Okotoks? Still get to use this world class facility and then you dont have to help pay for it!

Rig-Rat 07-30-2019 10:10 PM

Pumped for the new arena, it is long over due. Maybe get some concerts and shows happening again instead of just passing by, and of Course FLAMES!!! Will be great.
I am sure there will be some crybaby citizen out pushing some dumb petition trying to stop it, like everything.
Anyways to hockey, we need to get Tkachuck signed up. Like now don't need that hanging around into the start of the season.
Jamie I will be chatting with you on some tickets. Always like going to a game. I would ask for a battle of Alberta game, but I am sure you would like to see the Flames beat down the Oil in person, so i am sure they are not available. LOL

Jamie 07-30-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 4008308)
Pumped for the new arena, it is long over due. Maybe get some concerts and shows happening again instead of just passing by, and of Course FLAMES!!! Will be great.
I am sure there will be some crybaby citizen out pushing some dumb petition trying to stop it, like everything.
Anyways to hockey, we need to get Tkachuck signed up. Like now don't need that hanging around into the start of the season.
Jamie I will be chatting with you on some tickets. Always like going to a game. I would ask for a battle of Alberta game, but I am sure you would like to see the Flames beat down the Oil in person, so i am sure they are not available. LOL

For sure Rig. Get in touch you will love these seats and love the cost. I should have my games in 2 weeks.

brslk 07-30-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 4008308)

Just like in Edmonton you will have some people crying about money being spent on an arena. I swear that every time something is done in Edmonton people come out of the woodwork saying "they should have sent that money on the homeless". It doesn't really matter what it is, some SJW will want the money spent on the homeless. Even though they themselves actually do nothing to help the homeless.

Calgary needs a new arena and should get one, and I'm in Edmonton and an Oilers fan.

Unregistered user 07-31-2019 07:58 AM

No they should have left the money in my pocket. I don't like subsidizing other people's entertainment, nobody subsidizes my hunting and fishing nor should they. The new library was another colossal waste of money. Now what was wrong with the dome? I believe this new rink will have fewer seats to boot.

Trochu 07-31-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brslk (Post 4008328)
Just like in Edmonton you will have some people crying about money being spent on an arena. I swear that every time something is done in Edmonton people come out of the woodwork saying "they should have sent that money on the homeless". It doesn't really matter what it is, some SJW will want the money spent on the homeless. Even though they themselves actually do nothing to help the homeless.

Calgary needs a new arena and should get one, and I'm in Edmonton and an Oilers fan.

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2019/...630&quality=65

Jamie 07-31-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4008398)
No they should have left the money in my pocket. I don't like subsidizing other people's entertainment, nobody subsidizes my hunting and fishing nor should they. The new library was another colossal waste of money. Now what was wrong with the dome? I believe this new rink will have fewer seats to boot.

Sure they do subsidize your hunting. F/W officers, Biologists ECT ECT ECT. Your tag $$ doesn't come close to covering all the expenses that are dealt with.

I cant see them building a place with fewer seats . I would imagine by the time it is all said and done, this arena will cost more than stated and be bigger than stated. I just dont understand why they would think of building a "Community" rink beside it? Other than a practise facility for the Flames? No need for a rink in that area of town.

bagwan 07-31-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4008403)

Are they going head to crotch or through the middle?

Rig-Rat 07-31-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4008398)

So people without kids who pay taxes to schools being built and ran or Rec centers they will most likely never use,and the list goes on. Not sure how you figure the city should personalize your taxes to suite you. It will me majority user pays with fee's on tickets so you will be fine.
Sounds to me that once it's built and they have a cool fun event happening, you need to take it in and relax and have some fun..

sco22 07-31-2019 01:25 PM

I am no Flamer fan, but your city was due for something given the past few years. I am happy for you.

Unregistered user 07-31-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 4008480)
So people without kids who pay taxes to schools being built and ran or Rec centers they will most likely never use,and the list goes on. Not sure how you figure the city should personalize your taxes to suite you. It will me majority user pays with fee's on tickets so you will be fine.
Sounds to me that once it's built and they have a cool fun event happening, you need to take it in and relax and have some fun..

Nope. Tax us less and do less for us. With more money in our pockets we can think and do as we see fit.

Unregistered user 07-31-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 4008448)
Sure they do subsidize your hunting. F/W officers, Biologists ECT ECT ECT. Your tag $$ doesn't come close to covering all the expenses that are dealt with.

I cant see them building a place with fewer seats . I would imagine by the time it is all said and done, this arena will cost more than stated and be bigger than stated. I just dont understand why they would think of building a "Community" rink beside it? Other than a practise facility for the Flames? No need for a rink in that area of town.

Wrong, our fees more than pay the freight, and lately f&w has become a for- profit operation. Much of our fees go to aca which is a waste in its own right. Buck for Wildlife was a better program which benefited us and not bird watchers and other hippies.

Rig-Rat 07-31-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4008550)
Nope. Tax us less and do less for us. With more money in our pockets we can think and do as we see fit.

So you would prefer to live in a place where they do nothing but age and rot? No more infrastructure, and do nothing to advance at all, just sit stagnant? Not a place I'm interested in.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Talking moose 07-31-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4008550)

Come move to Bashaw.

Unregistered user 07-31-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 4008619)
So you would prefer to live in a place where they do nothing but age and rot? No more infrastructure, and do nothing to advance at all, just sit stagnant? Not a place I'm interested in.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nope. Just wasting tax-payer's money to pay for some-one else's business and entertainment I am against. The same reason Calgarians voted no for the winter Olympics.

Unregistered user 07-31-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4008621)
Come move to Bashaw.

It's one of my retirement options. Good golf and shooting range. Nice boating on Buffalo too.

RandyBoBandy 07-31-2019 09:00 PM

Naheed Nenshi for Mayor !!

Re-elect Naheed Nenshi for Mayor !!

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcastic lol:

jungleboy 07-31-2019 09:28 PM

Nice For Calgary to get a new arena, but ... Why is it that these NHL franchises (and I do mean all of em) can't seem to make enough money to build their own arenas? Not trying to pick a fight, just a dead serious question. I am pretty sure Katz could have paid for the Edm. arena all by himself but he went begging for taxpayers money like all good NHL owners seem to do. "Gimme money, Or I may have to move this loser franchise elsewhere". It's as if Bombardier has a major stake in all NHL franchises.

Also why is that this arena (Saddledome) had such a short life span? The Leafs played in MLG for 67 yrs in a building constructed in the 30s! The Bruins were in the Garden for same 67yrs ,The Habs in the forum 72yrs The Flames in the Saddledome 36 yrs with a major reno 10 yrs into it? Is the construction that bad these days?, was it planned by Edmonton's city council? I don't get it.

Trochu 07-31-2019 09:34 PM

Think the former Canucks owner paid for the rink on his own dime.

Talking moose 07-31-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 4008757)
Nice For Calgary to get a new arena, but ... Why is it that these NHL franchises (and I do mean all of em) can't seem to make enough money to build their own arenas? Not trying to pick a fight, just a dead serious question. I am pretty sure Katz could have paid for the Edm. arena all by himself but he went begging for taxpayers money like all good NHL owners seem to do. "Gimme money, Or I may have to move this loser franchise elsewhere". It's as if Bombardier has a major stake in all NHL franchises.

Also why is that this arena (Saddledome) had such a short life span? The Leafs played in MLG for 67 yrs in a building constructed in the 30s! The Bruins were in the Garden for same 67yrs ,The Habs in the forum 72yrs The Flames in the Saddledome 36 yrs with a major reno 10 yrs into it? Is the construction that bad these days?, was it planned by Edmonton's city council? I don't get it.

The city benefits from large arenas. They are smart so they pick up part of the tab. But these large complexes hold many events which in turn draw people to Calgary or wherever, to throw money around the city.

brslk 08-01-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 4008757)

Why would the owner(s) of NHL teams pay for an arena that they only use less than 5% of the time? Arena's like the Saddledome and Rogers place aren't only used for hockey. How do you divide up who pays how much? Who retains ownership? The arena's belong to and benefit the entire city. Concerts and events like the rodeo bring in people from all over the country. People who spend money on other things in other places while here.
That would be like expecting hunters to have to own/buy any land they hunt on.

sns2 08-01-2019 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4008761)
Think the former Canucks owner paid for the rink on his own dime.

And he had to sell the team

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jungleboy 08-01-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brslk (Post 4008831)
Why would the owner(s) of NHL teams pay for an arena that they only use less than 5% of the time? Arena's like the Saddledome and Rogers place aren't only used for hockey. How do you divide up who pays how much? Who retains ownership? The arena's belong to and benefit the entire city. Concerts and events like the rodeo bring in people from all over the country. People who spend money on other things in other places while here.
That would be like expecting hunters to have to own/buy any land they hunt on.

All the more reason for the team owner to own the building and rake in all the revenue... oh wait, Katz solved that problem as well by getting a sweetheart deal where by he collects the majority of the revenue from every event held in "his" taxpayer funded arena. Also all the city offices moved into the adjoining office towers that were part of the building project and he gets a nice piece of that too.
I suppose the upside to it is that at least he got the build built in short order. Had this been a Edmonton city hall project only , they would still be under construction and likely over budget by double

Anyone care to tackle the question of why the saddledome expires in such a short time period? It lasted just long enough to pay off the mortgage it seems. Or is it just a bit of penis envy, other teams got new arenas so we want out of this silly looking saddle.