Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pros and cons of my top shotgun picks. Plz (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=375935)

mrcrossbow 01-27-2020 01:43 PM

Pros and cons of my top shotgun picks. Plz

Iv got my long list down to a short list in my price range.
Just need some personal options of people that have used ether one or both.

Stoeger m3000 or mk3.
Remington v3 ( not versamax)

Will mostly be shooting slugs, buck, #2-#4 shot.
Will be used in weather from +30c to - 30c Rain, snow, dust, mud, and all manor of foul stuff. Along with bouncing around the truck bed ( high likely hood of bails of hay and tools banging into it.

And yes I know I pump is better for that abuse, and I have a much loved and used pump that gets this special treatment. Just looking for something new and both those shotguns feel good when I handle them. But fondleing them in a store is different then useing them and how they hold up. So definitely need some real world input. Thank you.
And yes just those 2.

antmai 01-27-2020 09:01 PM

M3k

Happy to let you play if you end up near sherwood park fish and game

antmai 01-27-2020 09:01 PM

M3k

A little break in period and still needs 3 dram equivalent to be very reliable but i bought mine new for $689. Very much like the gun and its included features.

sns2 01-27-2020 09:37 PM

My buddy has a V3 and he's very happy with it. I have read many good reports on the Stoeger too. If they both fit well, however, I'd definitely go with the Rem V3 as it has a lifetime warranty.

CNP 01-27-2020 09:52 PM

I'd go with the inertia driven Stoegers.

The V3 is not a gun that you want to subject to "+30c to - 30c Rain, snow, dust, mud, and all manor of foul stuff. Along with bouncing around the truck bed ( high likely hood of bails of hay and tools banging into it."

After all that I don't imagine that you'll be cleaning the gas system regularly....and if you don't, it will jam.

My Versa Max wouldn't like it so I'm betting the V3 won't either. I use my Versa Max in many of the conditions you describe, but I just have the feeling your not up to maintaining a gas gun the way it needs to be.

mrcrossbow 01-28-2020 01:25 AM

Very true cnp. The most cleaning it would get most the time would be heavy rain and a splash in the creek to get the mud off. I have my rifles and shottys I keep cleaned, oiled and loved ( might even cuddle em when wife is out of town) but this one would be the definition of truck gun.

Quest206 01-28-2020 04:56 AM

X2 on the Stoeger.
Inertia driven is the way to go

ward 01-28-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcrossbow (Post 4100767)
Very true cnp. The most cleaning it would get most the time would be heavy rain and a splash in the creek to get the mud off. I have my rifles and shottys I keep cleaned, oiled and loved ( might even cuddle em when wife is out of town) but this one would be the definition of truck gun.

If you are going to treat your new shotgun like you describe, stick to the pump. No autoloader will cycle properly in that environment.

elkhunter11 01-28-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ward (Post 4100793)
If you are going to treat your new shotgun like you describe, stick to the pump. No autoloader will cycle properly in that environment.

Exactly! Pumps will take a lot of abuse and still function, no semi auto can be totally reliable under those conditions.

mrcrossbow 01-29-2020 04:33 AM

Thank you for all input.
Will be ordering a m3000.
And a padded case since it needs a bit of love from my truck bed.
And naturally if it doesn't hold up I'll have to get another pump, not that I need a reason to get one but it helps when wife sees the bill.