Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replace sway bar links - alignment necessary? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=271659)

RolHammer 11-16-2015 09:44 PM

Replace sway bar links - alignment necessary?

Going to be replacing the sway bar links and sway bar bushings on my van & am just curious if I should book in for a wheel alignment afterward. This will be on an '03 Honda Odyssey.

Heyupduck 11-16-2015 09:46 PM

Nope. (unless you want to)

hopper146 11-16-2015 09:46 PM

Shouldn't affect the alignment at all. Will just correct the handling and remove the clunking

RolHammer 11-16-2015 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. Didn't think so, but just wanted to be certain.

bobtodrick 11-17-2015 09:09 AM

Had mine done earlier this year (2007 Trailblazer).
I was out of province and one of the few times I didn't use my usual haunt (Ital Motors in Edmonton).
A Canadian Tire in Saskatoon...told me I didn't need an alignment.
Three weeks later (maybe 1500km) I noticed I definitely had worn the edges of my NEW Firestones AT nearly away on the front.
Took it Ital and they said that most of the time replacing sway bar bushings shouldn't affect alignment...but that any decent shop still checks.
By not taking it to my regular guy I figure I'll need two new tires in the spring.

Sooner 11-17-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtodrick (Post 3036424)
Had mine done earlier this year (2007 Trailblazer).
I was out of province and one of the few times I didn't use my usual haunt (Ital Motors in Edmonton).
A Canadian Tire in Saskatoon...told me I didn't need an alignment.
Three weeks later (maybe 1500km) I noticed I definitely had worn the edges of my NEW Firestones AT nearly away on the front.
Took it Ital and they said that most of the time replacing sway bar bushings shouldn't affect alignment...but that any decent shop still checks.
By not taking it to my regular guy I figure I'll need two new tires in the spring.

Imo, if your tires are showing noticeable wear in that short amount of travel, you have some other issues in the front end. Sway bar links should not effect alignment. I drove with broken ones on my explorer for a few months before I changed them out. You only lose handling in the corners if their not hooked up. No tire wear seen and i put a lot of km's on for work.

bobtodrick 11-18-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner (Post 3036430)
Imo, if your tires are showing noticeable wear in that short amount of travel, you have some other issues in the front end. Sway bar links should not effect alignment. I drove with broken ones on my explorer for a few months before I changed them out. You only lose handling in the corners if their not hooked up. No tire wear seen and i put a lot of km's on for work.

All I know is they moved the fronts to the rear, did an alignment and 20000 kms later there is virtually no noticeable wear.
Due to a back injury I have never made my living as a mechanic...but I completed my apprenticeship back in 1976. At that time any front end work ended with 15 minutes on the alignment rack...at least where I apprenticed.