Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DNADecoys--Geese (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=345883)

Justfishin73 06-04-2018 02:57 PM

DNADecoys--Geese
 
Bought some of these on the weekend from a great AO member, just curious if anybody has used them and with what degree of success.

http://dnadecoys.com/

Designed in Alberta, by an Albertan, seems like a good product

Goose season yet??

nube 06-04-2018 04:15 PM

Would take a half dozen full bodies any day for what you get there but that is me. I'm sure you will kill geese with them.

Pixel Shooter 06-04-2018 06:31 PM

Know guys that have used them and have all sold them. And man they take up space. See the size and long the box is lol

bobalong 06-04-2018 08:01 PM

I made my own which are very similar to the DNA. Last year was the first year I used them and they worked great, but they do take up a bit of room. I have about 7-8 dozen Big Al/Dive Bomb decoys and used about 50 of them to make 14 Y boards. Setting up or taking down the boards maybe takes 15 minutes or so.
I don't have a good field pic of the decoys but the second pic are all the y-boards with the exception of a couple of my cousins magnum dekes.

https://i.imgur.com/iY7Xf2a.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/cdGXunO.jpg?1

ganderblaster 06-04-2018 09:14 PM

I think the DNA dekes work best on cloudy days and in high stubble or if hunting in short stubble against a back drop like a hill

Justfishin73 06-05-2018 08:16 AM

Think they will used as outer perimeter decoys, and hunt lots of hills. Price was right , and can a guy really have too many decoys?

snowman160 06-06-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganderblaster (Post 3794712)
I think the DNA dekes work best on cloudy days and in high stubble or if hunting in short stubble against a back drop like a hill

Cloudy days only..chloroplast shines like a mirror..

Top of the Foodchain 06-13-2018 09:09 PM

Just curious why would you put silhouettes on y boards defeats the simplicity of them. They are easy to store, pack and set up just as is.

bobalong 06-14-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top of the Foodchain (Post 3798549)
Just curious why would you put silhouettes on y boards defeats the simplicity of them. They are easy to store, pack and set up just as is.

Later in the fall when we start to get a bit of frost/frozen ground or in really dry fields the Y boards are easy to set compared to trying to push the H wires into the ground. Also instead of 50 sets and pickups I have 14.

Top of the Foodchain 06-14-2018 07:10 PM

The through stake system with Big Al’s can be pounded into very hard even frozen ground with a rubber mallet. Didn’t like the h stakes for the reasons you stated, and forcing them in caused damage to the bottom of the decoys. Anyway I appreciate your experience and was curious about the boards. Thanks for the info.

TROLLER 06-15-2018 03:16 PM

The big thing to remember when setting sillo decoys is to have groups of 4 each one facing a different direction. That way incoming birds get the illusion of the goose always being there and not a side angle that could flare them off.

They can be effective especially in early season with local birds but as the season wears on it is hard to beat the full body.

drake 06-15-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 3799410)
The big thing to remember when setting sillo decoys is to have groups of 4 each one facing a different direction. That way incoming birds get the illusion of the goose always being there and not a side angle that could flare them off.

They can be effective especially in early season with local birds but as the season wears on it is hard to beat the full body.

I run a full silo spread... I have no problem killing birds late in the year. Wouldn’t trade them for a trailer of full bodies (well maybe....so I could sell the trailer and buy more silos)

bobalong 06-15-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake (Post 3799417)
I run a full silo spread... I have no problem killing birds late in the year. Wouldn’t trade them for a trailer of full bodies (well maybe....so I could sell the trailer and buy more silos)

I switched to silos about 4-5 years ago, no problem here with silos all year either.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.