Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sun article calling Edmonton Taxidermists Monsers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366618)

Jays toyz 07-15-2019 02:06 AM

Sun article calling Edmonton Taxidermists Monsers

Which one of you unlucky members is being unfairly targeted in this hatchet job.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/950788...s-corpse-lion/

Ronaround 07-15-2019 07:47 AM

I generally always smile with my kill,I dont get in much kissing though. its a guy thing. :love0025:

Crooked780 07-15-2019 08:56 AM

This article is a joke. Why the British are worried about what Canadians are legally hunting is beyond me. Darren & Carolyn are stand up individuals.:sign0176:

Sooner 07-15-2019 09:39 AM

I know them both and they are top notch people, did my sons 54 inch moose. Sad that they are the next target. I have already congratulated him on a fine harvest and look forward to seeing that beast when they are done bringing it back to life.

pikeslayer22 07-15-2019 11:52 AM

Not a photo I would have took and am redneck as they come... but to each their own.

WhiteTailAB 07-15-2019 11:59 AM

It's the UK who cares. You'll get thrown in jail for reporting the truth over there. Or get acid thrown in your face. It's a craphole.

35 whelen 07-15-2019 12:34 PM

Not a photo I would have taken, especially over a canned lion hunt which I definitely don't endorse and don't think of ever doing. Just more bad press for hunting

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

501s 07-15-2019 01:05 PM

They may be upstanding hunters and conservationists but honestly, I would never take a photo like that. It’s offensive/off putting even to hunters, never mind the general public.. Actually it’s just plain weird.

Flying across the world to shoot a Lion not for the meat but for the trophy is a lot different than shooting a deer in your home province that will feed your family. And expecting the general public to not get upset or offended is not logical.

alder 07-15-2019 01:14 PM

You couldn't take a more tasteless photo. Seriously.

Grizzly Adams 07-15-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alder (Post 4001848)

People are their own worst enemies.

Grizz

Smokinyotes 07-15-2019 07:54 PM

Doesn’t really matter what picture they post someone will have something to complain about. Darren and Caroline work their asses off and you won’t find better people. If they want to have a kiss that’s up to them.
Congrats on a beautiful lion.

marky_mark 07-15-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinyotes (Post 4001979)
Doesn’t really matter what picture they post someone will have something to complain about. Darren and Caroline work their asses off and you won’t find better people. If they want to have a kiss that’s up to them.

X2

marky_mark 07-15-2019 10:47 PM

I’d rather see this picture any day over something what happens at a pride parade

Jamie 07-15-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4001824)
Not a photo I would have taken, especially over a canned lion hunt which I definitely don't endorse and don't think of ever doing. Just more bad press for hunting

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Why, a wild lion hunt caused the same issues....
It's not about the who the when or the why. It's about raising the flag of social justice for "INSERT MADE NAME OF NAME HERE" and the rest of the pride.

Jamie 07-15-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alder (Post 4001848)

Who cares. thats not your or my call. It was a hunt, the Lion was killed in what I assume was a legal and fair fashion. But yet some people want to bring the rain of hell down on these folks.

Ronaround 07-16-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4002049)
I’d rather see this picture any day over something what happens at a pride parade

X2

albertadave 07-16-2019 07:13 AM

It's a stupid picture.
But it's their business if they want to take it.
Too bad they didn't keep it their business, instead of allowing it to go public.

NCC 07-16-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 501s (Post 4001842)
They may be upstanding hunters and conservationists but honestly, I would never take a photo like that. It’s offensive/off putting even to hunters, never mind the general public.. Actually it’s just plain weird.

Flying across the world to shoot a Lion not for the meat but for the trophy is a lot different than shooting a deer in your home province that will feed your family. And expecting the general public to not get upset or offended is not logical.

It was the safari company that posted the photo on social media, not Solitude Taxidermy. CTV was at their gate trying to get an interview yesterday.

Do you really think the anti-gun/anti-hunter crowd approves of you shooting a yearling doe in your backyard more than flying across the world to shoot a lion? If a hunter kills a free range lion, he’s driving the species to extinction; if he shoots it in a pen, then it’s a canned hunt. Once trophy hunting is banned, meat hunters will be next.

“Trophy Hunters” have done far more for conservation efforts than any other group.

Canned hunt or not, that is a big, healthy and impressive lion.

calvin 07-16-2019 08:14 AM

How to contact CTV?

I just watched this and in no part that I saw the reporting did the report say it was a legal hunt. Another report about Trumps tweets, CTV chose to not report the entire tweet but rather chose to edit and not report the complete tweet. This is troubling in that whole stories are not being told and are being edited to serve special interest groups. Nothing new there, but more of us need to contact them as they need to be reminded that hunters are viewers as well.

trophybook 07-16-2019 08:21 AM

Great people . Very sad that they have to go through this. That lion will make a perfect addition to their trophy room.

501s 07-16-2019 08:28 AM

I fully understand how much good these Trophy hunters do for conservation and the local economies. I’m not arguing that at all. But a picture of a couple making out over a giant Lion? Really?

As hunters it’s easy to become used to the killing and the trophy shots. But I can tell you as a newer hunter (3 years), it took a while for me to become used to it all. Celebrating killing an animal is just not normal for most People.

Everyone is quick to say “it’s legal, etc..”. Yes, that’s a fact. But I would say 95% of people on the this planet would not approve of this photo or killing a Lion in General. With that in mind, you would think after the negative press of Cecil years ago, they would just want to keep these photos to themselves. Maybe they did and the outfitter posted them without consent, if that’s the case, then I feel bad for the harassment they are going to endure, because it’s going to be bad.

We can argue right or wrong all we want, but it won’t change the fact that this photo will have a negative impact on all aspects of hunting and almost everyone who looks at it will have a negative reaction. That’s just the facts, and the people who took, posted and posed in the photo need to be prepared for the backlash. Not because they necessarily deserve it, but because that’s the world we live in and being in the industry they should have an idea how the general public will react.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 4002099)
It was the safari company that posted the photo on social media, not Solitude Taxidermy. CTV was at their gate trying to get an interview yesterday.

Do you really think the anti-gun/anti-hunter crowd approves of you shooting a yearling doe in your backyard more than flying across the world to shoot a lion? If a hunter kills a free range lion, he’s driving the species to extinction; if he shoots it in a pen, then it’s a canned hunt. Once trophy hunting is banned, meat hunters will be next.

“Trophy Hunters” have done far more for conservation efforts than any other group.

Canned hunt or not, that is a big, healthy and impressive lion.

heretohunt 07-16-2019 11:37 AM

If any Hunter has a problem with this photo then I believe they have issues.
No one in this photo is making out. They are just kissing. Does somebody have a problem with that? Or is it the fact that they killed a high fence animal? How is that a problem? How does that affect you?
Anti-hunters are going to have a problem with anything that involves hunting so they’re opinion does not count.
Once a person has more life experience with all aspects of hunting including international hunting they will understand.
Idealism is diminished with life experience and proximity to the situation.

pikergolf 07-16-2019 11:46 AM

All I'm going to say is that we are not in a fight for the minds of the anti's but the minds of the undecided population. A canned hunt or people kissing over the dead body of a beautiful animal does not advance the cause of hunting or hunters. I believe the undecided can understand killing for meat, the rest of hunting is a little harder to accept for them.

DJS 07-16-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinyotes (Post 4001979)

x3

crazy_davey 07-16-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretohunt (Post 4002227)
If any Hunter has a problem with this photo then I believe they have issues.
No one in this photo is making out. They are just kissing. Does somebody have a problem with that? Or is it the fact that they killed a high fence animal? How is that a problem? How does that affect you?
Anti-hunters are going to have a problem with anything that involves hunting so they’re opinion does not count.
Once a person has more life experience with all aspects of hunting including international hunting they will understand.
Idealism is diminished with life experience and proximity to the situation.

Agreed!

ghfalls 07-16-2019 10:25 PM

I’m totally envious of them both. They got to go on s great hunting holiday as a married couple and share in taking an incredible animal. Congrats to them and I hope this whole bs thing blows over quick for them. I’ve seen Their work and it’s top notch. I can’t wait to see that lion one day.

West O'5 07-17-2019 04:44 PM

I don’t find the pic all that tasteless at all.....I mean they are kissing so what.A happily married couple that hunts together with a celebratory kiss over the trophy of a lifetime...what’s the big deal?
No doubt they took dozens of tasteful trophy pics,this just happens to be the one that some anti-hunting British rag chose to publicize.....which begs the question,how ta H did the Sun ever get ahold of this pic or any pics of their hunt in the first place?

kingrat 07-17-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertadave (Post 4002095)
It's a stupid picture.
But it's their business if they want to take it.
Too bad they didn't keep it their business, instead of allowing it to go public.

X2, no doubt because of it they will receive the standard death threats and whatever else.

kiren 07-17-2019 08:45 PM

I dont care what picture was taken... my question is : WHY POSTING IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA ?
unless you live for a pat on the back to keep you hyped up.

show it to your buddies, families, same minded people.. not on the internet to get some attention.
look what you did to yourself now.

ghfalls 07-17-2019 08:48 PM

It’s already been stated that the outfitter posted the pic