Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Broadheads and Wind (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=402464)

sir_charlie 08-20-2021 11:06 PM

Broadheads and Wind

Newer to the sport. Sighted in my bow and have been shooting tight groupings out to 40 yrds with my field points. Tested my broadheads along my field points (changed out two of the field points with two broadheads and kept third as field point). About a month ago all were grouping well together.

Today, broadheads we’re about 4-6 in left of centre. Field point still flying true at 30 yrds. Wind was blowing right to left at 10-11 km/h. Would the wind impact their flight that much? Not sure why there’s such a difference in my grouping with the field point this time. Given broadheads were both grouping well and 4-6 in left wondering if it’s the wind? And if so, good to know that a 10 km/h wind has that kind of effect.

Was shooting slick trick 4 blade standard fixed broadheads. Was confident with my set-up coming into the season but not so sure after what I saw today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty-Canuck 08-21-2021 08:23 AM

Wind can definitely effect it, the other thing is your bow may be slightly out of tune.

I always bareshaft tune my bow to 20 and quite often I shoot a bareshaft to see if something is out of tune, like a QC check.

A bareshaft and a fixed blade react very similar.

Field point tipped fletched shafts mask tuning issues, that’s how mechanicals became popular… they are easier to “tune” when in fact they hide tuning issues.

LC

sir_charlie 08-21-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4406076)
Wind can definitely effect it, the other thing is your bow may be slightly out of tune.

I always bareshaft tune my bow to 20 and quite often I shoot a bareshaft to see if something is out of tune, like a QC check.

A bareshaft and a fixed blade react very similar.

Field point tipped fletched shafts mask tuning issues, that’s how mechanicals became popular… they are easier to “tune” when in fact they hide tuning issues.

LC

Yea I would of defaulted to tuning had it been my first time shooting them. What surprised me was they were grouping well last time out. So was trying to determine what changed between then and now. I did a bit of up/down adjustment in terms of the sight but that was it and since they were only off to the left, had me thinking it might be wind.

catnthehat 08-21-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_charlie (Post 4406143)
Yea I would of defaulted to tuning had it been my first time shooting them. What surprised me was they were grouping well last time out. So was trying to determine what changed between then and now. I did a bit of up/down adjustment in terms of the sight but that was it and since they were only off to the left, had me thinking it might be wind.

Or quite likely something to do with your form.
I saw it quite often when I coached , in fact it was one of the reasons I quit coaching .
People like to blame the equipment even after e erythromycin g checked put, brought their arrows back to center, then after a bit of a break the arrows would be off opposite from where they were originally.
Cat

sir_charlie 08-21-2021 09:25 PM

I’m happy to blame my form. Except my field points shot straight and true all day. So did the field point i shot with the broadheads. The broad heads were shooting left 4-6 inches. I blame my form first before making changes to anything given I’ve only been shooting 8 months. Just doesn’t look
Like a form issue given the above.

DiabeticKripple 08-21-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_charlie (Post 4406256)
I’m happy to blame my form. Except my field points shot straight and true all day. So did the field point i shot with the broadheads. The broad heads were shooting left 4-6 inches. I blame my form first before making changes to anything given I’ve only been shooting 8 months. Just doesn’t look

It still could be form.

Your field points will recover much quicker out of the bow if something was off, where a broadhead will start to steer left/right as soon as it’s launched.

Bareshafts and broadheads magnify form and tune issues. Not saying you have bad form, but maybe this session you had more face pressure and it’s causing the broadheads to plane left.

Blockcaver 08-21-2021 09:47 PM

For the original poster....I was shooting broadheads (mechanical Spitfires) at 86 yds in a cross wind yesterday. Compared to my field points they drifted more. I was at 86 yds as that was the one spot I could stand and shoot out of the wind, but a few yard into flight the arrows had full effect of the cross wind on them. I'd say average drift was about 8 or 10" for the broadheads and half that for the field points. I'm shooting Easton Carbon Injexions with Blazers which have a very slim profile and don't drift too much in the wind.

I moved up to 60 yards and couldn't shoot decently due to the wind. Dropped the Tight Spot quiver off the bow and knelt down and brought my group size to 1/2 the size of standing with the quiver on. Still wouldn't take a shot at a critter in wind like that without getting a lot closer....maybe at 30 yds of the wind wobble and arrow drift would be tolerable.

sir_charlie 08-21-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockcaver (Post 4406267)
For the original poster....I was shooting broadheads (mechanical Spitfires) at 86 yds in a cross wind yesterday. Compared to my field points they drifted more. I was at 86 yds as that was the one spot I could stand and shoot out of the wind, but a few yard into flight the arrows had full effect of the cross wind on them. I'd say average drift was about 8 or 10" for the broadheads and half that for the field points. I'm shooting Easton Carbon Injexions with Blazers which have a very slim profile and don't drift too much in the wind.

I moved up to 60 yards and couldn't shoot decently due to the wind. Dropped the Tight Spot quiver off the bow and knelt down and brought my group size to 1/2 the size of standing with the quiver on. Still wouldn't take a shot at a critter in wind like that without getting a lot closer....maybe at 30 yds of the wind wobble and arrow drift would be tolerable.

Thanks. Good to hear wind can have that kind of impact. I won’t default to say it’s not my firm and will return to do another session. But I won’t stress about it till I see what happens next time around.

Crazy what a little wind can do.

Lefty-Canuck 08-22-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_charlie (Post 4406256)

You are missing something, field tips hide form and tuning issues. Fixed blade broadheads show them.

You cannot simply say you are tuned by shooting a fletched field tipped arrow, shoot a bareshaft and that will tell you a lot.

Fixed heads will plane left/right up/down if things aren’t perfect because they steer from the front if they aren’t.

So you still have a tune or a form issue, could even be a spine issue.

LC

3blade 08-23-2021 11:30 PM

Not likely slick tricks are to blame at 30. At 60 you might see 2-3 inches more wind drift. Something shifted, or your form is off. Crappy thing to have to do close to the season, but ya, paper and bare shaft tuning required.

58thecat 08-24-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 4406912)
Not likely slick tricks are to blame at 30. At 60 you might see 2-3 inches more wind drift. Something shifted, or your form is off. Crappy thing to have to do close to the season, but ya, paper and bare shaft tuning required.

And don’t try to make adjustments etc to accuracy issues after 30 arrows shot....a rookie mistake that we all went through as frustration sets in....go in fresh...clear mind and have at it.

Good luck.

Sig72 01-01-2022 02:52 PM

Broadheads and wind

I sure the wind will affect the arrows flight( I'm no pro )
I decided to try building my own arrows, so I shot some bare shafts to see which way they spun with no fletchings, they spun left.
I Fletched the arrows with a left offset about 3 degrees I guess and that made my broadheads fly much better.
The field points and broadheads fly just the same now, to the best of my capability.
I have been using blackout toxic fixed blades.

lastlatvian 01-17-2022 04:29 PM

Arrow weight, fletching and broad head will play a huge roll with wind. I hunt the 300's for bow season and switched to iron will vented broad heads this last season. They fly great in the wind, regardless the wind will move your arrow. helical fletching will help for longer shots with certain set ups but hampers closer range.