Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trapping Expertise Needed (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391426)

GSPHunter64 12-03-2020 06:02 PM

Trapping Expertise Needed

I need some help controlling coyotes and foxes on and around our acreage, I am not a trapper, but wondering if someone in the Medicine Hat/Seven Persons area would be interested in setting up some snares or traps in our yard. I can check them to make it easier for you and let you know if something gets trapped. I don't see them very often but there are definitely lots of tracks all through the yard, I assume they are coming through at night trying to kill whatever happens to be in our yard. Last year a fox got in the coop and killed all our birds. Any help appreciated.

Marty S 12-03-2020 09:41 PM

Snares and acreages are not a good mix... cuz of the neighbors dawgs

However, if a guy used a snare that was designed to not kill, then a very good tool. Currently Alberta law does not allow for such snares, non-lethal, to be used. If they were allowed then they would need to be checked daily. In the settled portions of Ontario, the only type of snare legal for use are the "non-lethal" snares. In Alberta there are places/applications that these devices should be legalized and used. Such snares should not be set within the captured animals reach of entanglement brush or other such objects.

calgarychef 12-03-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPHunter64 (Post 4280236)
I need some help controlling coyotes and foxes on and around our acreage, I am not a trapper, but wondering if someone in the Medicine Hat/Seven Persons area would be interested in setting up some snares or traps in our yard. I can check them to make it easier for you and let you know if something gets trapped. I don't see them very often but there are definitely lots of tracks all through the yard, I assume they are coming through at night trying to kill whatever happens to be in our yard. Last year a fox got in the coop and killed all our birds. Any help appreciated.

Sure, wire a rebar on the bottom of your chicken wire then bury it 18” deep.
Close the door to the henhouse every night... we never lost a single chicken that way.

Marty S 12-04-2020 12:38 AM

... and then there weres coons!

GSPHunter64 12-04-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4280391)
Snares and acreages are not a good mix... cuz of the neighbors dawgs

However, if a guy used a snare that was designed to not kill, then a very good tool. Currently Alberta law does not allow for such snares, non-lethal, to be used. If they were allowed then they would need to be checked daily. In the settled portions of Ontario, the only type of snare legal for use are the "non-lethal" snares. In Alberta there are places/applications that these devices should be legalized and used. Such snares should not be set within the captured animals reach of entanglement brush or other such objects.

We don't have any neighbours with dogs for miles, we have game cams setup and in 5 years have never seen a dog on the camera, so neighbouring dogs are not an issue, we wouldn't suggest setting traps or snares if this was an issue.

GSPHunter64 12-04-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4280439)
... and then there weres coons!

Coons aren't an issue, they are easy to get rid of.

TrapperMike 12-04-2020 12:49 PM

Use stucco wire. Use 36” wire. Fold it in half lengthwise. Attach one half along fence and lay the other half on the ground. Cover the ground layer of wire an with inch or two of dirt. I don’t know why but critters will try to dig at the bottom of your fence but aren’t smart enough to back up the foot and a half to dig under the edge of the stucco wire.

jeffreys 21234 12-04-2020 03:49 PM

We have problems with minks killing our birds last year one killed off fourteen in a night then two nights ago we’re guessing one got into coop some how an killed nine of the wifes ducks

GSPHunter64 12-04-2020 07:19 PM

The fox didn't get in from the bottom he got in from the top, he chewed through the nylon mesh over the top, and the chain link fence is 5 feet high, and it is buried under the ground on the bottom.

I have a well built coop, I have game birds in the coop not chickens, and I am just looking for a trapper to set some traps or snares on the property.

pikergolf 12-05-2020 08:33 AM

I'm pretty sure the Murray Lake Colony has some boys that trap.

Marty S 12-05-2020 09:18 AM

My apologies, i heard acreage and envisioned one of the countless acreage sprawls in the land.