Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Partner license -if main holder of the license is present but unable to shoot? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=216572)

V_1 04-21-2014 02:45 PM

Partner license -if main holder of the license is present but unable to shoot?

Hello
I wonder if main license holder can not (or no longer due to injury) do the shooting part, but tag along with partner (holding partner license) and does glassing/calling etc, is it OK to proceed with the hunt? :confused:
Thanks

Ebrand 04-21-2014 03:30 PM

You are on the right track

From what you post it seems you are meeting the partner licence requirement if it is a available for the species and zone you and the licence holder are in.

The whole purpose was to allow two hunters that meet the requirements to harvest one animal in between them.

So if a partner licence is available for the species and zone and I hold the tag and my partner has the partner licence and we meet all the requirements of the licence it does not matter who ( out if the two of us )takes the animal. I get to tag it.

Or in your case if you shoot, your partner ( who actually holds the tag ) can tag the animal as long as you meet all the partner licence criteria. His inability to shoot is not an issue if the requirements are met.

At least that is how I understand it.

diamonddave 04-22-2014 11:10 AM

Interesting senario..... Leads to a lot of "what ifs"......

Lefty-Canuck 04-22-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamonddave (Post 2412559)
Interesting senario..... Leads to a lot of "what ifs"......

Like? For example....

LC

V_1 04-22-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2412604)
Like? For example....

LC

All I meant is an equipment failure or, say, sprained wrist... I don't know how far we can take that. License is there, tag/main license holder still there and participates in the hunt.

Pudelpointer 04-22-2014 02:46 PM

Perfectly simple. Yes, as long as you are together.

Fish magnet 04-22-2014 10:15 PM

What if tag holder does not bow hunt. They go out together during archery season. Partner shoots animal. Does tag holder need bow hunting permit even though he had no intention to shoot.

Swangin 04-23-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish magnet (Post 2413175)
What if tag holder does not bow hunt. They go out together during archery season. Partner shoots animal. Does tag holder need bow hunting permit even though he had no intention to shoot.

Probably worth the ten bucks to not find out the hard way.

Carson13 04-27-2014 10:26 AM

Question of ethics primarily

If I'm not physically able to hunt but buddy will take me along.. Why shouldn't buddy be able to hunt my tag.. I can gather a partner license?

I think if you cannot hunt you are ineligible to purchase a hunting license as you cannot fulfill the requirements to hold it.

Sincerely sorry for your friends injury.

Lefty-Canuck 04-27-2014 02:55 PM

Always going to be rule benders and people looking for loopholes no matter what....

LC

V_1 04-28-2014 10:20 AM

As per Wildlife Act's definition of Hunt, there no bending:

"(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Lefty-Canuck 04-28-2014 10:45 AM

Ok scenario.....

A guys wife doesn't hunt but she puts in for draws....she gets a moose draw, and goes with her husband to look for "her" moose....fully knowing he is going to shoot it...she doesn't even carry a rifle.

Legal?

Right?

Wrong?

Loophole?

LC

diamonddave 04-28-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2417796)
Always going to be rule benders and people looking for loopholes no matter what....

LC

This is where I was going with the "what if's".....

What if my Friend with no arms continues to put in for the draws only for the reason of giving me his tag?
What if ......?
:test:

V_1 04-28-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamonddave (Post 2418666)
This is where I was going with the "what if's".....

What if my Friend with no arms continues to put in for the draws only for the reason of giving me his tag?
What if ......?
:test:

If you go with him just to keep him hunting my hat would go off for you, Sir. Bow hunting permit makes him legal to participate in the hunt during bow season as far as I understand.

Legal? Yes, as far as I understand it. Otherwise, what partner license would exist for? To give two people hunting opportunity, no matter who downs an animal at the end.

Lefty-Canuck 04-28-2014 11:03 AM

The way I see it...this is just my opinion.

The person who is the primary on the tag/license should be fully prepared and able to hunt....Meaning they should be able to pull the trigger and carry the weapon they plan on using with them

...but to head out in the field with a tag and carry no weapon...then they are an observer and not a hunter IMHO.

A friend of mines brother is a paraplegic, but has limited motion in his arms but not his hands...he can drive, shoot a crossbow (assisted) and shoot a rifle (assisted) but he harvests his own animals on his tag.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 04-28-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V_1 (Post 2418673)
If you go with him just to keep him hunting my hat would go off for you, Sir. Bow hunting permit makes him legal to participate in the hunt during bow season as far as I understand.

Legal? Yes, as far as I understand it. Otherwise, what partner license would exist for? To give two people hunting opportunity, no matter who downs an animal at the end.

The partner license DOES NOT exist so that a husband who hunts and a wife who doesn't get to put two entries in a draw IMHO....

LC

V_1 04-28-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2418696)
The partner license DOES NOT exist so that a husband who hunts and a wife who doesn't get to put two entries in a draw IMHO....

LC

That would be book example of a loophole, IMO, but still not illegal.

diamonddave 04-28-2014 11:38 AM

This thread is just another thread looking for ways to stretch your ethics, and step threw the loopholes.

Lefty-Canuck 04-28-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V_1 (Post 2418722)
That would be book example of a loophole, IMO, but still not illegal.

Still fundamentally wrong....you would agree?

LC

V_1 04-28-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamonddave (Post 2418728)
This thread is just another thread looking for ways to stretch your ethics, and step threw the loopholes.

This is 'what to do' guidance thread, first, but fell free to see what you want.

For instance, one of my buddies have issues with his elbow which can put him out of commission at any moment and I may happen to be with him.

V_1 04-28-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2418750)

LC

If done for sole purpose to access draws - yes, I agree.

Mike_W 04-28-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2418750)

LC

I am not sure how I feel about that if a husband and wife who hunt together and eat the meat together if the wife doesn't want to pull the trigger why isn't she entitled to the meat?

My wife doesn't hunt and will probably never be with me while hunting so personally I have no stance on this. But I really don't care who shoots an animal with who's tag as long as the main goal is getting meat.

What about hunting with a senior? My grandfather is getting older and his moose hunting days are nearing the end for him health wise but if he wants the meat and still wants to come to camp is it ethically wrong that he hangs around camp and I pursue his moose if he sleeps in?

But then again I support party hunting as I feel many hunters in Alberta already practice this and see no difference in who shoots an animal provided it is tagged and the tag holder is present and the meat makes it's way to everyone's plate.

Lefty-Canuck 04-28-2014 01:16 PM

My issue is not with a husband and wife "team" that enjoy hunting together as that is totally different than the husband who hunts and wife who doesn't but yet she still puts in for moose draws....

The issue I have with that is the wife has no interest in hunting but the husband uses her as a "tool" for an extra opportunity in our draw system....

That is the practice I have issues with....

Even though your wife doesn't hunt....do you enter her in the draws to offer an extra opportunity to your family to harvest a moose more often?

LC

waterfowler1969 04-28-2014 01:28 PM

I think if you are caught shooting any bodies tag you should loose you hunting licence for 5 years. To much of this crap going on with peoples wife, kids, dog, etc. Only partner licence should be for a child to use an adults tag. The adult should have had to hunt for a min of 3 years.

waterfowler1969 04-28-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 2418790)
I am not sure how I feel about that if a husband and wife who hunt together and eat the meat together if the wife doesn't want to pull the trigger why isn't she entitled to the meat?

My wife doesn't hunt and will probably never be with me while hunting so personally I have no stance on this. But I really don't care who shoots an animal with who's tag as long as the main goal is getting meat.

What about hunting with a senior? My grandfather is getting older and his moose hunting days are nearing the end for him health wise but if he wants the meat and still wants to come to camp is it ethically wrong that he hangs around camp and I pursue his moose if he sleeps in?

But then again I support party hunting as I feel many hunters in Alberta already practice this and see no difference in who shoots an animal provided it is tagged and the tag holder is present and the meat makes it's way to everyone's plate.

Totally disagree with party hunting. If you cant shoot your own tag you should not be hunting.

waterfowler1969 04-28-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2418799)
My issue is not with a husband and wife "team" that enjoy hunting together as that is totally different than the husband who hunts and wife who doesn't but yet she still puts in for moose draws....

The issue I have with that is the wife has no interest in hunting but the husband uses her as a "tool" for an extra opportunity in our draw system....

Even though your wife doesn't hunt....do you enter her in the draws to offer an extra opportunity to your family to harvest a moose more often?
LC

This is why we have huge waits on a lot of tags and more so on goat and sheep tags.:angry3:

Mike_W 04-28-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 (Post 2418808)
Totally disagree with party hunting. If you cant shoot your own tag you should not be hunting.

That's great your entitled to your opinion.
How do you work out your bird limits while waterfowling?
After every flock do you and your hunting partners discuss who shot what? Do you count your limit and then stop? Or do you just count the group limit and split up the birds at the end if the shoot?

Mike_W 04-28-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 (Post 2418810)
This is why we have huge waits on a lot of tags and more so on goat and sheep tags.:angry3:

There are no partner tags for sheep and goats. I am sure anyone drawing one of those tags will shoot it themselves.

V_1 04-28-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 2418790)

Well, this is plain illegal as well as party hunting, like it or not.
At lease take old fella along and let him have his nap besides you. :) Party hunting is also off current topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2418799)
My issue is not with a husband and wife "team" that enjoy hunting together as that is totally different than the husband who hunts and wife who doesn't ....

Even though your wife doesn't hunt...
LC

Again, define 'hunt'. It's not limited to pulling a trigger/release, not in my personal understanding, not in Wildlife Act's definitions. Right or wrong - it's another story.

Mike_W 04-28-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V_1 (Post 2418821)
Well, this is plain illegal as well as party hunting, like it or not.
At lease take old fella along and let him have his nap besides you. :) Party hunting is also off current topic.

Again, define 'hunt'. It's not limited to pulling a trigger/release, not in my personal understanding, not in Wildlife Act's definitions. Right or wrong - it's another story.

How is it illegal if I had a partner tag?