Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Confiscation one Dead (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=354637)

lmtada 11-16-2018 06:45 AM

Gun Confiscation one Dead

Maryland USA wrote new gun law last month to confiscate guns. First death already reported. A relative of the deceased (60), reported the guns to police. There must have been some altercation. The police killed him. Tragedy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...nfiscation-law

Au revoir, Gopher 11-16-2018 07:30 AM

5AM ??? Are they trying to look like the SS?

ARG

Twisted Canuck 11-16-2018 09:19 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been challenged in court as being unconstitutional....but basically it's the same thing here in Canada. Anyone can make a statement about a gun owner here, with no grounds or evidence, and your firearms can be seized. Then it's on you to try and get them back. Good luck.

I'm curious if that has happened to anyone on this forum, or if you know someone this has happened to? I personally don't.

Scott h 11-16-2018 12:04 PM

Threaten a cop with a gun and then surprised that they get shot....:thinking-006:
I guess the family was correct in calling the police.

lannie 11-16-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott h (Post 3873005)
Threaten a cop with a gun and then surprised that they get shot....:thinking-006:

x2

Twisted Canuck 11-16-2018 12:21 PM

I didn't read that he 'threatened' a cop with a gun, I read they struggled with him for it, it went off and didn't strike anyone, and he was shot dead. Also sounds like a relative called it in for 'family reasons' which doesn't mean indisputably that he was dangerous. Maybe it just meant someone didn't like him. There are members of my family that I don't get along with either, should the police come and take all my guns based on their not liking me? Should I be shot if I protest?

reddeerguy2015 11-16-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3873011)
I didn't read that he 'threatened' a cop with a gun, I read they struggled with him for it, it went off and didn't strike anyone, and he was shot dead. Also sounds like a relative called it in for 'family reasons' which doesn't mean indisputably that he was dangerous. Maybe it just meant someone didn't like him. There are members of my family that I don't get along with either, should the police come and take all my guns based on their not liking me? Should I be shot if I protest?

If you were physically wrestling with the officer confiscating your guns, resisting, with a weapon in your hands - I'd there say would be high probability you would get shot. Absolutely.

lannie 11-16-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3873011)

He answered the door with a gun in his hand.

Au revoir, Gopher 11-16-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 3873025)
He answered the door with a gun in his hand.

He also put the gun down and stepped outside, leaving the gun inside, to talk to police.

Who knows, maybe in his neighbourhood if someone is at your door at 5AM, answering the door with a gun in your hand is prudent.

He did make a mistake going back in the house for the gun, but then again, when I'm woken up at 5AM I'm not at my best either.

Nothing I have read says why the 'red flag' was issued or anything to suggest he was a threat to anyone.

ARG

Scott h 11-16-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher (Post 3873059)
He also put the gun down and stepped outside, leaving the gun inside, to talk to police.

Who knows, maybe in his neighbourhood if someone is at your door at 5AM, answering the door with a gun in your hand is prudent.

He did make a mistake going back in the house for the gun, but then again, when I'm woken up at 5AM I'm not at my best either.

Nothing I have read says why the 'red flag' was issued or anything to suggest he was a threat to anyone.

ARG

Well if "not at your best best a 5am" includes picking your gun back up while arguing with cops you might not have a long life expectancy.

urban rednek 11-16-2018 03:07 PM

Could have been handled better

1 Attachment(s)
Tough way to find out that "the land of the free" are just lyrics that no longer represent today's reality.

Sundancefisher 11-16-2018 05:13 PM

Apparently the concern of weapons was warranted. Anything they can do in the US to protect right to own weapons but stop mass shootings

fishtank 11-16-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban rednek (Post 3873085)
Tough way to find out that "the land of the free" are just lyrics that no longer represent today's reality.

so much for serve and protect...

270person 11-16-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott h (Post 3873005)

More oxygen for the rest of us.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 11-16-2018 08:42 PM

It’s hard to say what exactly took place without statements or video. Maybe it was justified ? I have heard of one person who had their guns taken away due to the mental state he was in after his family was killed in a head on. They were returned after a period of time.

Fifth Wheel 11-18-2018 07:24 PM

Most folks would not be happy about having their guns confiscated, less so at 5 a.m. But I don't think most of us would fight a cop over them, either. Perhaps waiting for the "day in court" might have been more prudent.

rem338win 11-18-2018 08:01 PM

I'd say this is a agenda driven blog post more than news that doesn't have a lot of facts.

I support public safety laws that allow confiscation if there is a real threat. This might have actually been the case. We don't know because the writer did a crap job reporting.

One niece saying "I don't think.." doesn't refute the application by other family. For all we know the guy could've left 15 messages saying he was coming for the rest of them and hell was following with him.

The other hammers here making stupid comments about serve and protect need to get a grip. Don't fight a cop with a gun in your hand or you'll get shot. Period. His day was coming in court.

Luce 11-19-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3872905)
I'm surprised this hasn't been challenged in court as being unconstitutional....but basically it's the same thing here in Canada. Anyone can make a statement about a gun owner here, with no grounds or evidence, and your firearms can be seized. Then it's on you to try and get them back. Good luck.

I'm curious if that has happened to anyone on this forum, or if you know someone this has happened to? I personally don't.

This exact situation happened to me. Went through a bitter separation, my ex decided to tell the police she had been threatened with a gun. Police had zero evidence, couldnt even speculate as to why i would do something so stupid; but seized all my guns (long guns and pistols). Once the truth came out i was told i could get them back. Found out my RPAL had "automatically" been revoked. A few calls to the CFO to give them the police findings, and some waiting; it was reinstated. Then i had to get a ATT to move my pistols from the cop shop for a specific date and time. Eventually got them back but got jerked around a lot in doing it. Not fun.

I could understand a reaction like that if there was some basis to the accusation but they dont care. They'll seize what you have and make you jump through hoops to compensate their lack of investigation.

Guilty until proven innocent.

CF8889 11-19-2018 10:27 AM

It's odd how when a 15year old black kid is shot in the back, people are like "he must have done something! And it's simple, don't run!"

When I white dude, who has been "red flagged" gets in a scuffle with an officer for control of his gun, and gets shot... "there's no proof he did anything! Those officers were out of line"

...what a weird world