Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Seizure of treehuggers boat (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14144)

rugatika 04-13-2008 11:06 PM

Seizure of treehuggers boat

What do you guys think of the feds seizing and arresting the anti-sealers boat the "Farley Mowat"?? The hippies ran into the coast guard boat and endangering the lives of sealers.

I think (in case you can't tell) that it's about time these guys started paying the price for endangering peoples lives. Damn hippies.

Mish 04-13-2008 11:21 PM

I don't think it's fair to call them tree huggers or hippies. I don't always agree with their tactics, but I do believe in a lot of Sea Shepherd preachings.

impatient_hunter 04-13-2008 11:28 PM

I think that it a good move to try to help out the sealers. The video that I saw were they claim that they were hit seems to me like the 'Farley Mowat' was the one that brushed up against the coast guard ship. There has been a history of them getting charged with getting to close to sealers so the government finally had to do something. What do people think about the leader saying that the the canadian government has declared war on them by seizing the ship as the Sea Shepherds have a history of violence?

CNP 04-13-2008 11:29 PM

You cannot support the SSCS or this man for any reason

Paul Watson

Biography
Paul Watson is one of the fathers of environmental terrorism. The group he founded and leads, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS), is a pirate organization that sails around the world, terrorizing fishermen. Wearing a long bowie knife and carrying AK-47s on board, he threatens to ram any ship that won’t give in to his demands. Watson was a founder of Greenpeace, but the group banished him in 1977 in disapproval of his violent tactics. He is a board member of the Sierra Club.

Watson, who has spent time in the jails of Canada and the Netherlands, was born in the Canadian Maritimes in 1950. At ten years old, he was already a budding terrorist who shot another kid in the rear end who was about to shoot a bird. A dyslexic who “progressed from deckhand to able seaman without knowing how to tie a knot,” he worked for the Canadian Coast Guard and Norwegian and Swedish merchant marines before becoming a professional environmentalist. Watson is a misanthrope who has said that “earthworms are far more valuable than people.” Perhaps that explains why he has started the careers of some of the most violent animal-rights activists. SHAC terrorists Rodney Coronado and Joshua Harper have both served as crewmembers on SSCS expeditions.

TreeGuy 04-13-2008 11:30 PM

In my heart, I loved it. Our federal government has some very specific laws pertaining to how this hunt is observed (minimum 900m). These guys have been getting bolder and bolder every year. Four lives have already been lost, and, and the last thing the guys out there need is a buch of jackazzes in a fairly large vessel causing as much cahos as possible for their own benefit. Would if the collision resulted in the sinking of our Coast Guard ship? Then what?

I am fully aware that it is contencious issue, but the fact remains that it adds millions of dollars to an economically depressed (although improving) region of OUR country. Sealers are out there, risking their lives to put food on their tables.

Many will not understand, and I'm fine with that. However, look at it this way. If we in Alberta were in the same economic situation as Newfoundland and Nova Scotia have been in for decades, and gophers were worth $5/head, what would you think then? Seriously.

I am also glad to see OUR government taking a strong stance and enforcing OUR laws in OUR waters.

Yet, in my head, I groan a bit because I know that paul watson and the sea sheperd society, WANTED this event to happen. The international publicity (particularly in the EU) means millions and millions of dollars to them. At this point, I'd like to see the seizure remain in place, and let them fight it out in court to the bitter end and at least burn up their extra donations in lawyer's fees. If they end up losing, then auction the Farley Mowat off, or else make a damn fine reef out of her as I would enjoy the irony.

Tree

impatient_hunter 04-13-2008 11:38 PM

I like the reef idea.:lol:

James M 04-14-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mish (Post 135860)
I don't think it's fair to call them tree huggers or hippies. I don't always agree with their tactics, but I do believe in a lot of Sea Shepherd preachings.

What? Thats EXACTLY what they are. Made me laugh to read it in the paper today.

Mish 04-14-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehntr (Post 135866)
Paul Watson

Biography
Paul Watson is one of the fathers of environmental terrorism. The group he founded and leads, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS), is a pirate organization that sails around the world, terrorizing fishermen. Wearing a long bowie knife and carrying AK-47s on board, he threatens to ram any ship that won’t give in to his demands. Watson was a founder of Greenpeace, but the group banished him in 1977 in disapproval of his violent tactics. He is a board member of the Sierra Club.

Watson, who has spent time in the jails of Canada and the Netherlands, was born in the Canadian Maritimes in 1950. At ten years old, he was already a budding terrorist who shot another kid in the rear end who was about to shoot a bird. A dyslexic who “progressed from deckhand to able seaman without knowing how to tie a knot,” he worked for the Canadian Coast Guard and Norwegian and Swedish merchant marines before becoming a professional environmentalist. Watson is a misanthrope who has said that “earthworms are far more valuable than people.” Perhaps that explains why he has started the careers of some of the most violent animal-rights activists. SHAC terrorists Rodney Coronado and Joshua Harper have both served as crewmembers on SSCS expeditions.

Guess facts really depend on who writes it ;)

I did a paper on the Sea Shepherds a couple years ago for college, took me weeks and was never able to find the truth behind Paul Watson. Some say he resigned from GP because he thought they were sellouts. Some say he was kicked out because of his hard-line ways.

uglyelk 04-14-2008 12:36 AM

Sink it would make great habitat for fish. How could the eco freaks begrudge the Cod bottom structure. They would be helping to save another species.

Remember nature good man bad:huh:

catnthehat 04-14-2008 06:40 AM

Watson is a real piece of work, for sure.
IIRC he was involved in the Rainbow Warrior "incident"

The guy nees to be thrown in the can and the key thrown in the river!
Cat

Vindalbakken 04-14-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mish (Post 135886)

I did a paper on the Sea Shepherds a couple years ago for college, took me weeks and was never able to find the truth behind Paul Watson. Some say he resigned from GP because he thought they were sellouts. Some say he was kicked out because of his hard-line ways.

Doesn't sound very different whichever way you look at it. They thought he was too hardline, he thought they were too soft.

Either way he should have been in jail a long time ago. Treehugger and Hippie are far too kind for the like of him.

KyleM 04-14-2008 07:36 AM

It really bugs me that the gutless Canadian Coastguard has let it get this out of hand.

Do you guys know what would happen if these clowns bumped a US Navy ship or a US Coastguard?

Im not a big fan of the guys that put on this seal hunt, they are real pieces of work in their own mind but it still dosnt give anyone the right to endanger lives.

sideshowkev 04-14-2008 08:08 AM

Less Seals = More Cod = more traditional income for Newfoundlanders. The numbers need to be kept in check, its just the way it is.

How long until the tree huggers or activists start ramming our trucks or camps when we are hunting in area's that have Wolves or Grizz?

I was amazed when I watched the CBC news last night and saw a politician taking a NO BS approach to these guys. He basically said "The protest of the seal hunt is about SS and GP groups milking money out of the uninformed urban folks that have no clue as to the facts of the matter." Its about time someone stood up to radical environmentalists and exploited them for what they really are. The only thing they care about is making a big event, getting tons of free media coverage, and boosting the amount of cash that flows into their cause that really screws up more than it will ever save.

Rusty P. Bucket 04-14-2008 08:36 AM

I think that garbage scow should have been scuttled at sea with all hands aboard.

Their tactics have gone beyond activism and into terrorism and I see no difference between them and Al Quieda except for their cause. I will bet you dollars to donuts that once they get finished with the seal hunters, those bunny hugging morons would think nothing about going after sport hunters too. They are no friends of the sportsman or the thinking man in my opinion.

CNP 04-14-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mish (Post 135886)

Well Mish...........If I did a paper on him, it wouldn't be praiseworthy lol. Biography's are based on the truth?:huh: .......like you say......depends on who writes it. I've read his own...........he's an angel:innocent: of course. He likes to write about his exploits. He is a self described warrior lol.....only it's a one sided war......no one can fight back!

He was voted out, cast out, abandoned, expelled, persona non grata from GP in a board vote of 11 to 1.........the one vote was his own lol. Whatever, there were 11 fingers pointing at him and all he could see was his own. He is a terrorist/pirate. The SSCS should be identified as a terrorist organization, their assets should be seized and all those who direct the activities, recruit persons, train, receive funds, fund or provide support should be prosecuted. Yeah, thats how I see it.

Hug the earth - kill all the humans?

This guy doesn't deserve to be romantisized for his exploits..........he's no Jack Sparrow.

Redfrog 04-14-2008 10:12 AM

"Yet, in my head, I groan a bit because I know that paul watson and the sea sheperd society, WANTED this event to happen. The international publicity (particularly in the EU) means millions and millions of dollars to them. At this point, I'd like to see the seizure remain in place, and let them fight it out in court to the bitter end and at least burn up their extra donations in lawyer's fees. If they end up losing, then auction the Farley Mowat off, or else make a damn fine reef out of her as I would enjoy the irony."

Nailed it!!!

"He was voted out, cast out, abandoned, expelled, persona non grata from GP in a board vote of 11 to 1.........the one vote was his own lol. Whatever, there were 11 fingers pointing at him and all he could see was his own. He is a terrorist/pirate. The SSCS should be identified as a terrorist organization, their assets should be seized and all those who direct the activities, recruit persons, train, receive funds, fund or provide support should be prosecuted. Yeah, thats how I see it."

Nailed it again!!! You guys are good.

I've had the misfortune of crossing paths with Paul Watson many years ago.

He is a thug and suffers from massive delusions of grandeur. :tongue2: A legend in his own mind, a con man and a farce. I don't really like him much.:tongue2:

As far as the guys they arrested, they should be prosecuted and that hunk of iron scuttled.

600twin 04-14-2008 10:17 AM

" I don't always agree with their tactics, but I do believe in a lot of Sea Shepherd preachings." Please tell me what you believe in regards to this.

Mish 04-14-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600twin (Post 135971)
" I don't always agree with their tactics, but I do believe in a lot of Sea Shepherd preachings." Please tell me what you believe in regards to this.

Preachings was perhaps the wrong word. I don't agree with illegal fishing, shark finning, or the hunting of endangered animals. Like it or not, the Sea Shepherds shed light on all these problems. I'm hardly a hippie or a tree hugger, I like to hit my pike over the head as much as the next girl, but I'll be the first to speak up when I see people blatantly disregarding fishing regulations.

Redfrog 04-14-2008 10:40 AM

Mish, I agree with you if you are saying there are a lot of serious issues that wildlife is facing today. There are groups that do have the welfare of wildlife at heart, but many , the SS and Paul Watson are little more than terrorists and allowing them to continue to harass law abiding citizens does nothing for the plight of the wildlife.

Time and resources could be better spent to improve the situation.

Mish 04-14-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 135983)
Mish, I agree with you if you are saying there are a lot of serious issues that wildlife is facing today. There are groups that do have the welfare of wildlife at heart, but many , the SS and Paul Watson are little more than terrorists and allowing them to continue to harass law abiding citizens does nothing for the plight of the wildlife.

LoL, exactly. And I support most of their causes. If I supported what Sea Shepherds do, I'd be running poachers off the road in my little Acura :lol:

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 135983)

An awful lot of time and resources have been spent to try to improve alot of situations. Problem is that there are still alot of people out there who ignore reason and laws for the sake of a buck.

People like Watson fill the niche created by the frustration of seeing some of the garbage that goes on in the world while everyone sits around and discusses things. I don't really like all of his tactics. I think he probably is in that delusional state where his vision is the only right one. But, as Mish said, he has raised awareness of alot of things that most people would probably prefer to ignore.

Every group has its lunatic fringe.

I just had a brilliant thought... If you don't like what he is doing, just don't donate money to his cause (isn't that the standard response to someone around here who has problems with something? If you don't like it, turn the channel).

I'm sure alot of people were pretty happy when the sealing boat capsized and went down (and took people with it) to create an artificial reef.. Those of you who are advocating that sort of thing should have a look in the mirror. You are just as intolerant/ignorant as they are. Proud of yourself?

CNP 04-14-2008 11:57 AM

Focus on the seal hunt...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copidosoma (Post 135991)
An awful lot of time and resources have been spent to try to improve alot of situations. Problem is that there are still alot of people out there who ignore reason and laws for the sake of a buck.

People like Watson fill the niche created by the frustration of seeing some of the garbage that goes on in the world while everyone sits around and discusses things. I don't really like all of his tactics. I think he probably is in that delusional state where his vision is the only right one. But, as Mish said, he has raised awareness of alot of things that most people would probably prefer to ignore.

Every group has its lunatic fringe.

I just had a brilliant thought... If you don't like what he is doing, just don't donate money to his cause (isn't that the standard response to someone around here who has problems with something? If you don't like it, turn the channel).

I'm sure alot of people were pretty happy when the sealing boat capsized and went down (and took people with it) to create an artificial reef.. Those of you who are advocating that sort of thing should have a look in the mirror. You are just as intolerant/ignorant as they are. Proud of yourself?

Filling a niche? Is there a hole that begs to be filled? Isn't the seal hunt legal? There is no niche to fill if you don't oppose it. Even if you do oppose it then you don't have to support his particular niche. That language only serves to prop up the radicals.

re The Brilliant Thought.............why doesn't Paul Watson just ignore what is happening? Changing channels works for some but not so good on others I guess :D

Redfrog 04-14-2008 11:59 AM

"An awful lot of time and resources have been spent to try to improve alot of situations. Problem is that there are still alot of people out there who ignore reason and laws for the sake of a buck. "

I agree, so the work goes on. There will always be those that are outside or above the law. How are the ones who break the law and line their pockets with protests, different from the poachers who line their pockets and break the law?

I was aware of the seal hunt before Watson, Bardot, and the rest of the flakes got involved.
As far as filling a niche, there have been other law beakers that filled a niche. That is hardly a raison d'etre.

Kind of like " if you can't be a good example, then be very good at being a bad example."

Every group may have it's lunatic fringe, I just fail to see the value of associating with lunatics:confused: They just give the rest of us a bad name.

If I don't like something, or I see something that is wrong, unfortunately, I can't just turn my back and walk away. I really don't see how that effects change. If PW and the SS followed that logic, we wouldn't be having this discussion today. We would all be at the beach letting someone else fight the good fight..

I'm not sure where you heard anyone was happy with the loss of the sealers.
I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the loss of lives of those engaging in a lawful job and scuttling a seized and forfeited pirate ship. and make no mistake it is a pirate ship when it sails the world engaging in terrorist activities.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

PW and the SS have spent a lot of time and money developing and promoting this perception of themselves rather than trying to deny it or correct it..

goose 04-14-2008 12:06 PM

If this seal hunting perserves the cod fishery why don't we allow this on the west coast to help the natives earn some extra cash and then we can help the salmon stocks improve. Anyone lost a salmon to a seal while fishing after paying all that money to fgo out there?

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 12:07 PM

FWIW I'm not advocating breaking the law or supporting those who do so. GP and alot of other organizations lost my support a long time ago when they became so obsessed with their particular view of the world that they couldn't see any alternatives. Sea shepherd has crossed some lines in the past that I don't really agree with.

As with many issues, the seal hunt may be legal but it doesn't mean that everyone has to agree that it is necessary, valuable to society etc...

I fully support those on both sides that try to educate the public. I also support civil disobedience in some cases. Some people go a bit too far though.

Anyone here know of someone with unregistered firearms? Turned them in to the police yet? You know, you are supporting criminal activities...

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 136002)
I'm not sure where you heard anyone was happy with the loss of the sealers.
I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the loss of lives of those engaging in a lawful job and scuttling a seized and forfeited pirate ship. and make no mistake it is a pirate ship when it sails the world engaging in terrorist activities.

I didn't. Just saw some posts about scuttling certain ships with all aboard etc... Thought it was ironic.

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copidosoma (Post 136005)
I didn't. Just saw some posts about scuttling certain ships with all aboard etc... Thought it was ironic.

apparently I imagined the "with all aboard" part. Sorry about that.

Redfrog 04-14-2008 12:18 PM

I'm not sure that you and I are very far apart here COP.

I have no issues with someone who uses civil disobedience to make a point, providing it doesn't threaten the lives or property of law abiding citizens.
I have no problem with someone opposing the seal hunt. In fact i would agree with them except that would lead to a condition I'm not fond of. Being wrong.:lol:
We all have different ideas of right or wrong, and must all make our own decisions on how we act on those beliefs.
It is fairly simple to me, break the law, pay the price, and stop whining, I hate whiners.:)

I don't ask if someone's guns are registered or not.

But I do see the similarity in not registering ones guns when the current gov't grants amnesty from charges while trying to get that law tossed, and ramming someone at sea or blowing up a ship moored in a harbor.:huh:

I'm kidding of course:D I don't see any similarity at all.

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 136007)
We all have different ideas of right or wrong, and must all make our own decisions on how we act on those beliefs.
It is fairly simple to me, break the law, pay the price, and stop whining, I hate whiners.:)

I agree, and the law will deal with him... eventually.

It just bothers me when someone like him is presented as some sort of anti-christ and anyone who has even a shred of respect for what he does is some sort of degenerate.

Copidosoma 04-14-2008 01:19 PM

...and if he actually has video of seals being skinned alive I want to have them available. The ends may not justify the means but nobody else seems to be willing to do the job.