Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Youth .22 ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382082)

full_throttle 05-24-2020 08:36 PM

Youth .22 ?

Would like to buy my son his first 22. Looking for recommendations on what to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sailor 05-24-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full_throttle (Post 4175559)
Would like to buy my son his first 22. Looking for recommendations on what to buy?

Mossberg 715T Tactical 22
So he can get grandfathered license on prohib

antmai 05-24-2020 08:54 PM

What age range are we talking?

roper1 05-24-2020 09:04 PM

Marlin 780 or 880. Bolt action, clip fed so you can make it a single shot while he's learning. Safe & easier to regulate ammo use. Have fun with it. Best of luck!

Tactical Lever 05-24-2020 10:33 PM

An old manually cocking bolt action single shot, or tube fed bolt with external bolt knurl to de-cock it. Or falling block, break open, lever action or pump with external hammer.

My preference is something that has a tactile and visual cue that it is cocked with an option to decock it.

A single shot is nice to ingrain the habit of careful aim, and making the first shot count. But it is also nice to have a repeater when out in the cold walking for grouse. You have the option of keeping chamber empty that way.

For my boy, I picked up a youth Zastava bolt action. Could either use a single shot adapter or a magazine. It is not manual cocking, and it is not easy to see, or as easy to decock for young shooters as a hammer gun, but I could overlook that, as it easy to load it as needed.

Also has iron sighs, and grooved for scope mounts, and it was my preference to teach him with both.

Attilathecanuk 05-25-2020 01:02 AM

I have a savage rascal with a little red dot on it. The kids find it easy to aim and don’t get frustrated trying to learn the iron sights, they can learn that when they are older and a better shot! The key is to keep them having fun and be confident they hit what they are aiming at. Cricket,rascal,or Cooey are all great starter rifles for little ones

JonnyBoy0919 05-25-2020 04:51 AM

I bought my son a Cooey 39 for $120 on canadiangunnutz, great little single shot rifle. Has to be manually cocked, so it helps teach them to take their time when loading and shooting. My son isn't even 2 yet...so he's got a ways to go before he can shoot it...but I've had fun with it so far!

Ranger CS 05-25-2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk (Post 4175668)
I have a savage rascal with a little red dot on it. The kids find it easy to aim and don’t get frustrated trying to learn the iron sights, they can learn that when they are older and a better shot! The key is to keep them having fun and be confident they hit what they are aiming at. Cricket,rascal,or Cooey are all great starter rifles for little ones

What make or type of red dot sight are you using?

catnthehat 05-25-2020 07:41 AM

Single shot with irons so they can learn proper form and sight picture etc.
Most smallbore rifles have V grooves for mounting scopes afterwards .
Cat

kingrat 05-25-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk (Post 4175668)

X2 the rascal is a great little 22. As they got older I put a scope on it and I use it all the time now when trapping .

Pathfinder76 05-25-2020 08:36 AM

We also have a savage rascal

full_throttle 05-25-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmai (Post 4175583)
What age range are we talking?

He is 7. He has already been shooting a pellet gun for the past two years and is quite good with iron sights already.

lyallpeder 05-25-2020 10:46 AM

My kids started at 10 with a single shot savage 3B with a peep sight. Now at 13&14 my youngest prefers a cooey 60 with iron sights and the oldest prefers the marlin 795.

W921 05-25-2020 11:00 AM

Got my little girl an old single shot bolt action cooey for $50.
I cut and narrowed the forearm to make it lighter. Cut the butt stock to make it fit her.
I got rid of the plastic butt plate and trigger guard and made metal ones.
She wasn't strong enough to cock it so I added a saddle string to the bolt. This gave her more to pull on. Makes it easy for little fingers.

Andrzej 05-26-2020 07:55 AM

I've got Savage Rascal for my Grandkids.

Single-shot, Peep site, two position safety switch, receiver predrilled for scope mount. Available in a left-handed model as well.
Pink for Addisyn,
Blue for Hunter.

They both got it on the 6th Birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZH5UfJoG24

coyotecaller 05-26-2020 08:26 AM

Marlin xt-22 youth. Lightweight, youth stock, single shot mag along with 5 round included. Bases included also open sights. Pretty accurate little guns. Pretty nice little guns.

antmai 05-26-2020 08:39 AM

Bump

Rascals are good-i have one for my boys. The cub is a tiny bit bigger and will last your child beyond this season. The crickett would be my best suggestion though. Swamp donkey recently had them for $175.

Dariouskater 05-26-2020 08:53 AM

As far as i've read the Savage Rascal is actually designed to be smaller and easier for kids to learn with. That's also why the bright colors. It makes it less intimidating for them.

I've been looking to get a pink one for my neice to learn on.

honda610 05-27-2020 06:32 PM

My kids have 2 henry mini and a savage in a pink wood stock that was generously given to her by 1 of the great Ao family on here. They all work. Trigger time is key. Get them comfortable with the sound. Also make sure you use reactive targets. Not the explosion kind. I refer to balloons, plastic bottles with water , clay pigeon's. Kids at a young age seem to take to shooting more positive with instant gratification targets vs punching paper and they may not understand grouping. Or use shoot and see targets theres lots to choose from. Good for you and getting your kids involved.

Attilathecanuk 05-27-2020 06:41 PM

I put a Barska Amazon special ($35) on the savage rascal. It has held up for 3 or 4 years.

full_throttle 05-27-2020 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the input. Ended up picking up a slightly used Henry mini bolt from another fellow AO member!