Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freezing footholds-- need some tricks (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312206)

dale7637 01-10-2017 10:00 PM

Freezing footholds-- need some tricks

Hey guys,
I missed 2 wolves last night, both stepped right on top of my footholds. Both failed to fire. I'm obviously doing something wrong with the way I am bedding them in the snow.

What are your tips and tricks for bedding in snow to avoid freeze up?

Thanks!

Reddog 01-10-2017 10:23 PM

what traps you using?

nimrod 01-10-2017 10:36 PM

An old Native guy told me he used, a high alcohol beverage like bacardi 151, to marinate bait in to not allow it to freeze, maybe traps would not freeze, if you douse it when set, like oiling it.

no joke about the 151 stuff

nube 01-11-2017 04:09 AM

I use wax paper on mine. If you use the light fluffy snow you can sprinkle it over top very lightly and it works well.

KegRiver 01-11-2017 06:46 AM

Wax paper,

Crumple and work until it doesn't crackle any more.
Cut it to just fit between the jaws, then set the trap and pass it under one jaw, over the pan and under the second jaw.

That keeps snow from getting under the pan and stopping the pan from moving and it keeps the jaws from freezing down.

KegRiver 01-11-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 3440068)
An old Native guy told me he used, a high alcohol beverage like bacardi 151, to marinate bait in to not allow it to freeze, maybe traps would not freeze, if you douse it when set, like oiling it.

no joke about the 151 stuff

Works well on bait, but on a trap will get your trap dug out.

philintheblank 01-11-2017 09:58 AM

maybe put a few drops of mineral oil on the springs, not sure if it has a scent or not though. I have also used wax paper for leg holds in the snow and it works pretty good.

Red Bullets 01-11-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philintheblank (Post 3440248)
maybe put a few drops of mineral oil on the springs, not sure if it has a scent or not though. I have also used wax paper for leg holds in the snow and it works pretty good.

Mineral oil will get stiff. Dry graphite powder is a better winter lube for moving parts. I think a good dry trap,no lube, with wax paper is the way to go. Even wax paper under the trap to keep the pan clear of snow.

spot and stock 01-12-2017 11:49 AM

I have had good luck with putting my traps in the produce bags you get from the grocery store(the real light ones.) Leave lots of slack for the the jaws when you set it though. A light cover of snow and good to go, they dont make much noise when crumpled either.

Flight01 01-12-2017 11:53 AM

Have seen the plastic bags and wax paper being used often.

Torkdiesel 01-12-2017 03:49 PM

Make sure the trap is cold when set, crumpled wax paper over the pan, fluffy snow on top.

pgavey 01-12-2017 05:01 PM

Have you guys ever tried cat tail fluff? I used it with years ago for red fox.
make a bed of fluff, bury the trap in it, and cover with light snow. I also used crumpled wax paper also, both worked well.

jmparker 01-13-2017 09:41 AM

this thread helps answer a few questions i had about footholds in snow. does anyone have a few pics of snow foothold sets they could share for a newbie like me?:) i picked up a bunch of footholds to try out this year and would like to give it a shot.

AlbertaAl 01-14-2017 07:17 AM

coyote leg-holds in the winter.

I've had some success with coyotes using footholds in freezing weather.
My exerience and thoughts include...
Regular dirt that was well dried out and sifted in the summer and later mixed with road salt. The salt is white and blends in with the snow.
Mixture is about 3 parts salt and 7 parts dirt.
I always used wax paper to cover the circumference of the trap jaws.
I've never crumpled the wax paper but that's a great idea as others suggested.

To overcome snow drifting I like to set-up on the south side of a burm, old bldg., round bale or haystack.

If you're setting up on level ground, either build a large ANT HILL of packed snow or use a manure pile with the trap located at the peak. The trap will stay clean of snow.

Digging into frozen ground is a tough job.
I use long handed ice chisels or axe head that is pounded with sledge.

dale7637 01-14-2017 08:50 AM

Thanks guys. I will give these things a try.

i realty wish I could just hang some snares and be done with it, but the risk of catching dogs is way too high.

KegRiver 01-14-2017 09:48 AM

Salt will eat your traps and melt the snow making even more ice.

If you want freeze proof dirt dig up an ant hill. It's not 100 percent freeze proof but it's 100 times better then using salt.

BTW, You only need around 8 percent salt to keep moist dirt from freezing.
Your mixture is around 40 percent, that's what we spread on the highways to clear ice off the pavement.

If you can find an old ships auger, 1 1/2 inch or two inch are about right, http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...ESON-DRILL.jpgthey work way better for making dirt hole sets in freezing ground then any other method I'm aware of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaAl (Post 3442817)
I've had some success with coyotes using footholds in freezing weather.
My exerience and thoughts include...
Regular dirt that was well dried out and sifted in the summer and later mixed with road salt. The salt is white and blends in with the snow.
Mixture is about 3 parts salt and 7 parts dirt.
I always used wax paper to cover the circumference of the trap jaws.
I've never crumpled the wax paper but that's a great idea as others suggested.

To overcome snow drifting I like to set-up on the south side of a burm, old bldg., round bale or haystack.

If you're setting up on level ground, either build a large ANT HILL of packed snow or use a manure pile with the trap located at the peak. The trap will stay clean of snow.

Digging into frozen ground is a tough job.
I use long handed ice chisels or axe head that is pounded with sledge.