Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shell reservoir Virginia hills (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=428865)

Supergrit 01-29-2024 06:32 PM

Shell reservoir Virginia hills

Wondering if anyone has tried fishing the shell reservoir ( believe there is two of them) in Virginia hills. Want to make a trip there this summer

keeks 01-31-2024 12:48 PM

You have me intrigued. I live in the area and just found the Atlantic Richfield Reservoir. Caught a few small rainbows there a few days ago. I'm going to try and find shell Res and try some ice fishing. Grayling?

k

Supergrit 01-31-2024 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeks (Post 4697692)
You have me intrigued. I live in the area and just found the Atlantic Richfield Reservoir. Caught a few small rainbows there a few days ago. I'm going to try and find shell Res and try some ice fishing. Grayling?

k

It was grayling in it I never tried in the ice I remember my dad fly casting off shore and catching them.

Mumbles 01-31-2024 06:45 PM

I finally decided it was time to try out the 2 ponds last year in the fall, unfortunately, it was such a wet year that I got to within a couple KM of both of them and the roads were impassable with huge ruts and mud holes deeper and longer then I was willing to risk it being that far out.
Be curious to know if they are still in there but seeing as they are connected to the headwaters of a river I suspect they are in there still.
Luckily the nearby river levels had finally dropped enough and the grayling were more then willing.

-JR- 02-07-2024 07:03 AM

Never been there . Spend a lot of years down that road hunting at the end at goose river and working in there . But that road sure has changed since i was there last . There are so Many Y in it ,its hard to tell which is the main Virginia hills road anymore . Not sure if cell service works that good deep in that road that you can use google maps . Might be better off going in from swan hills .

keeks 02-07-2024 12:14 PM

I drove to it on the weekend. It would be tough in the wet for sure. Not much snow so I got in ok. Was going to drill a few holes but it was crazy windy and you can't get on with a vehicle so I just skipped it. You can't get in from the Swan side, there is a bridge washout, I can in from the south. Nice little lake though.

k

-JR- 02-07-2024 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeks (Post 4699512)
I drove to it on the weekend. It would be tough in the wet for sure. Not much snow so I got in ok. Was going to drill a few holes but it was crazy windy and you can't get on with a vehicle so I just skipped it. You can't get in from the Swan side, there is a bridge washout, I can in from the south. Nice little lake though.

k

Sounds like you know the area still . Did they ever push a road down the Virginia hills road and across the goose river where the old army air strip is on the other side . It used to be just a winter road some 40 years ago .

keeks 02-07-2024 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4699514)
Sounds like you know the area still . Did they ever push a road down the Virginia hills road and across the goose river where the old army air strip is on the other side . It used to be just a winter road some 40 years ago .

I don't think they have. There is the Meekwap Rd. south of the Goose, And the Branch Rd. just links back to Swan. Nothing going north as far as I know. I'm not familiar with that airstrip though so I could be mistaken.

k

Pierre 02-07-2024 05:35 PM

been there..

I was last in there in 2015, I know the AFG calls it 'Shell Reservoirs', but when I went in there it was owned by Penn West.. I went in from Swan Hills and had no trouble, but it was dry for a few weeks before I went in there.

In 2015 the southernmost reservoir was nearly dry (no idea what it's like these days) so I went to the northernmost one (which was the bigger of the 2). There was plenty of water in the reservoir. Caught a few grayling, nothing huge.

old dog 02-16-2024 02:01 PM

Boy does this thread bring back memories when I was at Shell Virginia Hills back in the 80’s. Caught lots of grayling back then.