Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thorncliff show yesterday (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=351399)

wwbirds 09-16-2018 02:27 PM

Thorncliff show yesterday

Just curious what other members thought about thorncliff yesterday as judging by my past participation with a friend at his table I thought yesterday was poorly attended (1/4 of last year) with many strollers and casual non gun people. I noticed a sign on lot when I left last night advertising antique and guns so wondering if many people came thinking they were going to find antique furniture or something. I had some high quality gun socks for both long guns and take down shotguns in velour or fleece in many colors and didnt sell a single one??
2 cheaper knives, an old rimfire stock and an older rimfire rifle almost paid for my 2 tables and a Timmies on the way to show at 6 AM.
Last year I had sold 5 rifles and shotguns by 1 PM. A few regular faces but many by the questions they were asking did not seem well versed in firearms. One guy even asked me if the 20 gauge I was using to demonstrate a gun sock on table was a shotgun or rifle.

Burrowing Owl 09-17-2018 11:23 PM

I found there were a huge number of lookie-loos. Some pretty stupid questions too. One guy argued with me that a Glock 33rd/to 10 would work in his S&W because it LOOKED like his S&W magazine. I told him if he insisted on buying it, I wouldn't refund his money when he found out it didn't work, and was told that **** poor salesmanship. When I told him selling it to him in the first place would be poorer. He stormed off after making a very crude remark towards my sex.

But over all, fewer people opened their wallets than in the previous 12 years.

Anomaly85 09-17-2018 11:30 PM

It definitely wasn't very busy, I think the weather played a role in that. On the plus side, it was nice as an attendee as it wasn't packed :)

AndrewM 09-18-2018 10:37 AM

I imagine a lot of people are like me and getting frustrated at mostly the same people selling overpriced rifles. Not every table is like that but a significant number are.

Ken07AOVette 09-18-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burrowing Owl (Post 3842486)
I found there were a huge number of lookie-loos. Some pretty stupid questions too. One guy argued with me that a Glock 33rd/to 10 would work in his S&W because it LOOKED like his S&W magazine. I told him if he insisted on buying it, I wouldn't refund his money when he found out it didn't work, and was told that **** poor salesmanship. When I told him selling it to him in the first place would be poorer. He stormed off after making a very crude remark towards my sex.

But over all, fewer people opened their wallets than in the previous 12 years.

The emptier the head the louder the volume.

Nowhere is this as prevelant as at a gun sale.

I went to a huge one in Montana once. WOW. They must get beaten with the Murica stick daily.

1cuz1 09-18-2018 01:01 PM

I used to travel to a few shows but now rarely even go to the local ones. I used to attend looking for deals, after a lot of trips home empty handed its kind of lost the exciting anticipation.
I know its poor business to give merchandise away but seeing the prices inflated for the show gets frustrating.

crosman177 09-18-2018 01:32 PM

I enjoyed it and found some deals. Did notice attendance was down and spoke to some vendors and feel that it wasn’t as well advertised this year.

Steelhorse Cowboy 09-18-2018 07:21 PM

Will agree on the number of newbies.
I also will agree on the number of "classics" (sarc) for sale at silly prices.
The law of supply and demand is always in force at a gun show, but I have noticed over the last few years people trying to sell well used hunting gear from the 60's at prices that just drive people to Basspro etc.
That saying, the crowd and vendors where in good spirits.
my 2 cents.