Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dealer Hasn’t Paid Lien (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430169)

pinelakeperch 03-21-2024 11:07 AM

Dealer Hasn’t Paid Lien

Hoping for a little help/insight on this. Thank you in advance!

I recently traded in a vehicle with a small amount owing on the loan (less than $6,000). Obviously, the deal required that the dealer pay off the remaining amount.

The car was purchased nearly three weeks ago, and the vehicle still has not been paid off. In that time, I have had one payment taken from my account (for the traded in vehicle) and will have a second one taken tomorrow. I will be reimbursed for these payments by the finance company, but it is still frustrating that this is occurring. I’m told by the dealership that a cheque was mailed 13 days ago, but the finance company tells me nothing has been received.

What should I do?

Albertadiver 03-21-2024 11:09 AM

Contact big Ken?

moniaw24 03-21-2024 11:10 AM

Lien

I just purchased a new used vehicle to me a few months ago... it took appx 45 days to get the lien taken off the vehicle from CIBC auto finance, I can't believe it took that long

jungleboy 03-21-2024 11:22 AM

Cheque is in the mail. Second most common lie ever told

no-regard 03-21-2024 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moniaw24 (Post 4710792)
I just purchased a new used vehicle to me a few months ago... it took appx 45 days to get the lien taken off the vehicle from CIBC auto finance, I can't believe it took that long

I had a similar situation a few years ago. The office was severely backed up ("because Covid :thinking-006:) and it took almost two months for the release paperwork to go through. A little nerve wracking, and frustrating.

Sundancefisher 03-21-2024 02:15 PM

Make sure your agreement included wording that it comes lien free. Then ask for proof the lien has been removed. May be a timing issue between paying off the lien and the system being updated.

1hogfarmer 03-21-2024 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4710856)
Make sure your agreement included wording that it comes lien free. Then ask for proof the lien has been removed. May be a timing issue between paying off the lien and the system being updated.

This. I purchased a truck a few years back that was recently transferred (sold) dealer to dealer and had a lien outstanding. I was supplied with a document guaranteeing it would be paid off by them. Everything was completed in the end, but it did take some time (weeks if I remember correctly)

calgarychef 03-21-2024 09:44 PM

I’m sure there’s no “cheque in the mail” it’s all bank drafts now and just needs a few key strokes and it’s done.

creeky 03-22-2024 03:45 AM

Guy I was buying a truck from was late, killing time I figured getting a "Lien check" on a 25k rig might be a good idea and it had a lien on it. He'd paid it, his greedy penny pinching bank had messed it all up.

Long story short it took less than 2hrs on a Friday afternoon to clear it and have it show at motor vehicles registrars.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

keeks 03-22-2024 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertadiver (Post 4710791)
Contact big Ken?

Wholeheartedly agree.

k

Dean2 03-22-2024 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeks (Post 4711081)
Wholeheartedly agree.

k

Ken is a GREAT guy and a very effective collector. Have a lot of time for the guy, BUT there is no need to start collection activity. If the dealer is AMVIC licensed it will get paid out and cleared. You can call them and get timelines and details easily. If you have any issues, contact AMVIC, they will help get it sorted.

If they aren't AMVIC, call them anyhow and talk to them. No point in pulling out the guns till you at least know the whole story. Even after the lender has been paid, and issued the release, getting the release registered can take time, depending on whether that government department is behind a little, a lot, or WAY behind, like they often are.

EZM 03-23-2024 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4710966)
I’m sure there’s no “cheque in the mail” it’s all bank drafts now and just needs a few key strokes and it’s done.

Exactly ..... I can't remember the last time I need to use a cheque or use the mail ..... it is going the way of the fax machine.

pinelakeperch 03-23-2024 11:32 AM

Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

The lien ended up getting paid off. The dealer sent a cheque (yes, a cheque!) and it was finally received by the financing company.

Big Grey Wolf 03-23-2024 12:12 PM

Just sold my Cummins Diesel for cash$$ and bought my replacement Ford 250 for cash. Cash is King and deals go through in a matter of minutes.

dale7637 03-24-2024 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinelakeperch (Post 4711367)
Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

The lien ended up getting paid off. The dealer sent a cheque (yes, a cheque!) and it was finally received by the financing company.

I own and manage a dealership.. and this is going to sound wild.. but almost every single bank/ lender in the car game requires checks sent to them.. they will not accept EFT’s or wires.

Most of them still insist on FAXED in paperwork.

I wouldn’t have believed that until I experienced… they are so archaic and behind.

calgarychef 03-24-2024 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale7637 (Post 4711729)
I own and manage a dealership.. and this is going to sound wild.. but almost every single bank/ lender in the car game requires checks sent to them.. they will not accept EFT’s or wires.

I wouldn’t have believed that until I experienced… they are so archaic and behind.

That’s strange. My wife is an accountant/controller and she rarely sends cheques. Everything is pdf and drafts.

pinelakeperch 03-25-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale7637 (Post 4711729)

Yeah, I was a little surprised. They even provided me with the Canada Post tracking number to track the draft.