Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Custom Gun - Would You Ignore This? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343714)

ken.gee 04-24-2018 08:56 PM

Custom Gun - Would You Ignore This?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having my first ever custom rifle built, and the folks I've been dealing with have been absolutely incredible when it comes to answering questions I had, and concerns they had about different parts meshing well. Yesterday they sent me this picture, the port wound up being a little long on the print of the stock, and he's asking if it's an issue for me.

Honestly, I don't know if it is. I've never been too particular about guns, as long as it gets the job done I'm happy (a.k.a., synthetic stocks). However, this is going to be a forever gun, and way better quality than my Savage Axis XP lol. I'm looking for input - is this something you would ignore, or should I not accept this since the stock alone was worth almost $1100 and should be perfect?

Thanks in advance!

Pathfinder76 04-24-2018 09:00 PM

That would drive me nuts. Manners?

boah 04-24-2018 09:02 PM

$1000. Would you accept a pair of shoes that didn't fit?

Walking Bear 04-24-2018 09:03 PM

For the price of a custom it should be right......Send it back.

fps plus 04-24-2018 09:09 PM

It won't hurt the performance of the gun .

However if you have a custom car done and the paint and engine where great but the door lines where off would you be happy ?

ken.gee 04-24-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3775982)
$1000. Would you accept a pair of shoes that didn't fit?

I hear what you're saying, but I think the comparison might be a little off. To be fair, this is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the functionality of the rifle whatsoever.

I will however be returning it lol

260 Rem 04-24-2018 09:10 PM

I would expect an $1100.00 stock to mate with the action. I would need a serious discount to accept the poor fit in the pic.

ken.gee 04-24-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3775980)
That would drive me nuts. Manners?

With the amount of replies I'm getting, I should be more annoyed; I'll definitely be politely rejecting it!

Bighorn SR3 in the Mcmillan Game Warden adjustable carbon lightweight, looking forward to having it in my hands!

Robmcleod82 04-24-2018 09:15 PM

Could always have it fixed and repainted if you dont want to wait 6-7 more months for another stock. Really Its more about your patience level than anything. Should be fixed one way or another.

sns2 04-24-2018 10:22 PM

No way in hell.

3blade 04-24-2018 11:38 PM

Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that on a off-the-shelf rifle, certainly not a custom.

ctd 04-25-2018 12:06 AM

How does the bolt slot look.
From this angle it appears it may not be centered. I would have them take a few more pictures of the stocks fit from a few different angles. Go from there.

Otherwise I would want a new stock.

58thecat 04-25-2018 05:59 AM

Nope, custom is just that, specs to the customers exact wants.
No more no less.

rem338win 04-25-2018 07:02 AM

Given the custom action is a Rem 700 clone, was it ordered for a specific Bighorn inlet or a Rem 700 inlet? You'd likely be quicker to have the port built up and finished to match. Who ordered the stock?

It would bother me and need to be fixed.

Groundhogger 04-25-2018 07:23 AM

Paying lots of good money for something special=justifiably higher expectations. I wouldn't accept it or at least, not without a significant discount. Even then...you'd have to be 100% certain it wouldn't bother you when the difference you save ends-up as grocery money. lol

Redneck 7 04-25-2018 07:30 AM

I looked at your picture thinking, where’s this flaw... where... then I seen it and it was like a car accident. Couldn’t look away. I’d send it back as well or say yes it would bother me. Heck it’s bothering me right now and it’s not even my gun!

Sweet rifle by the way, care to tell us more about it? Caliber and the different components it was made with?

Pathfinder76 04-25-2018 07:55 AM

Who ordered the stock, and how was it ordered?

Pathfinder76 04-25-2018 08:16 AM

I would do what Rob suggested and repair and paint. I’ve had stocks touched up even and you could not tell.

EZM 04-25-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken.gee (Post 3775989)
I hear what you're saying, but I think the comparison might be a little off. To be fair, this is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the functionality of the rifle whatsoever.

I will however be returning it lol

You could also say that having paid $100,000+ for a top of the line, brand new, performance sports car with a few paint blemishes won't effect that car's performance either.

To me - it would drive me nuts.

Ditchdogger 04-25-2018 08:57 AM

So quick question what stock did you order ?
What action is that.

You are building a custom gun do a custom job , if it really bothers you have the smith fill it in with bedding compound when they bed it and reshape and paint.

I suspect that you ordered a Remington stock because the the action MFG says it is a Remington footprint, I also suspect the ejection port on the custom action is not the same size as a factory Remington. This is in no way the stock manufacturers fault. It is putting a bunch of custom parts together like a snap together model and calling it a custom build. Unless that stock was supposedly made to fit that exact action would it be the stock makers fault.

shooter12 04-25-2018 09:05 AM

It would not bother me personally.
If it shoots good and the rest of the work is done right , I would not care .
And as was mentioned before ,I think it could be fixed and repainted.
S12

marxman 04-25-2018 10:46 AM

That would not bother me. To fix that may take all the profit out it would not bother me i could accept its not perfect

robbiebobbie 04-25-2018 11:23 AM

I'd shoot it before I made my decision. Maybe its a gun that can print < .5 MOA. You never know, for a super accurate rifle I'd put up with a bit of a cosmetic issue. Think of it as an out if needed. Stocks, actions and barrels are funny things.

Dean2 04-25-2018 11:33 AM

Personally looking at this gun I think there are far bigger issues than just the stock fit, which is bad enough. Take a real close look at the whole set up and shape of the ejection port, along with the fit of the rail. Unless it is just the camera angle there is a whole bunch wrong with the way that ejection port is not centered, opens too far at the top and not shaped evenly front to back. The rail encloses an uneven amount of the top part of the opening. The ejection port opening is much deeper at the rear than the front, for no apparent reason. Even the angles along the top of the ejection port are all over the place for no good reason. I would not accept the stock or the action on this gun as a factory built let alone a custom.

Also, check the stock fit behind the bolt where the safety will run, it is short by at least a quarter inch, and if that bolt handle is supposed to be a finished product someone needs glasses..

https://i.imgur.com/RU36AnC.jpg?2

Ryan.M.Anderson 04-25-2018 03:53 PM

That action is a Bighorn TL3 and there is nothing wrong with it.

It is one of the top performing actions out there so whatever "deficiencies" people are imagining are not there. They are robust and reliable.

As a previous poster said you most likely ordered a Rem700 inlet stock. The TL3 has a 700 footprint but is not a carbon copy of the 700 (if it was you would have just bought a 700).

Defiance, ARC, Bighorn, Razor, Stiller, etc. are all 700 footprint actions that have differences (like ejection port length for example) but they all work in the 700 stock.

Did you buy the gun to look at or shoot? At most I would do what Rob said but in reality don't worry about it.

Trochu 04-25-2018 04:02 PM

I didn't even notice it at first, even with you explaining the fitment. My eye was drawn to what appears to be the rail covering the ejection port.

Drewski Canuck 04-25-2018 04:04 PM

Get it machined the same setback for the full length

It is not flush on one end, but is on the other.

Would it be so ugly if the gap was consistent along the bottom and on the rear?

This is a composite material, and it appears that it will have a reasonable gloss on the exposed material after machining away the excess. Doubt any strength is being lost by what amounts to 1/4 of an inch below and to the rear of the action anyway.

But yes, the Shop can clean up the asthetics given the money.

Drewski

marxman 04-25-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3776233)
Personally looking at this gun I think there are far bigger issues than just the stock fit, which is bad enough. Take a real close look at the whole set up and shape of the ejection port, along with the fit of the rail. Unless it is just the camera angle there is a whole bunch wrong with the way that ejection port is not centered, opens too far at the top and not shaped evenly front to back. The rail encloses an uneven amount of the top part of the opening. The ejection port opening is much deeper at the rear than the front, for no apparent reason. Even the angles along the top of the ejection port are all over the place for no good reason. I would not accept the stock or the action on this gun as a factory built let alone a custom.

Also, check the stock fit behind the bolt where the safety will run, it is short by at least a quarter inch, and if that bolt handle is supposed to be a finished product someone needs glasses..

https://i.imgur.com/RU36AnC.jpg?2

Haha you are right i should have went with my first impression it was made that way what are you complaining about

Dean2 04-26-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson (Post 3776347)
That action is a Bighorn TL3 and there is nothing wrong with it.

It is one of the top performing actions out there so whatever "deficiencies" people are imagining are not there. They are robust and reliable.

As a previous poster said you most likely ordered a Rem700 inlet stock. The TL3 has a 700 footprint but is not a carbon copy of the 700 (if it was you would have just bought a 700).

Defiance, ARC, Bighorn, Razor, Stiller, etc. are all 700 footprint actions that have differences (like ejection port length for example) but they all work in the 700 stock.

Did you buy the gun to look at or shoot? At most I would do what Rob said but in reality don't worry about it.

Savage and Lee Enfield are "ROBUST AND RELIABLE", it does not make them pretty nor a candidate for a true custom rifle without a ton of work. I expect my custom guns to be both fully functional and aesthetically pleasing to look at, otherwise might as well just shoot a re-barreled Savage or Remington, which will easily shoot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA. If it is just about accuracy that is all you need.

That Bighorn looks like it was hogged out with a Dremel tool by a guy with bad eyes, and if you think the finish work on the bolts is okay then I have some Milsurps you would just love. Personally I would take a stock Savage or Rem 700 over that ugly duckling any day.

58thecat 04-26-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3776582)
Savage and Lee Enfield are "ROBUST AND RELIABLE", it does not make them pretty nor a candidate for a true custom rifle without a ton of work. I expect my custom guns to be both fully functional and aesthetically pleasing to look at, otherwise might as well just shoot a re-barreled Savage or Remington, which will easily shoot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA. If it is just about accuracy that is all you need.

That Bighorn looks like it was hogged out with a Dremel tool by a guy with bad eyes, and if you think the finish work on the bolts is okay then I have some Milsurps you would just love. Personally I would take a stock Savage or Rem 700 over that ugly duckling any day.

Exactly, I got a 303 for sale that has roughly the same fit and finish....$3500 Bucks takes it....just got to pull it out of the gun boot and oil it up:sHa_sarcasticlol: